Speculation: Could Eric Staal be on Canadiens' radar?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Can't say a line with Pacioretty & Staal doesn't interest me but salary, term and expected asking price combined with some uncertainty if last year was the anomaly or the trend would probably make it not worth it

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think we are another big scorer away from cup contention....if we could get Staal for our #1 pick and a Furcal type prospect, plus some salary going back like Bourque and DD, I would be all over it. But have my doubts Canes will trade him that low

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I want absolutely nothing to with Eric Staal as a Hab, unless he comes here as a UFA.

Because the pricetag will be ridiculously high for what he can bring.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Eric Staal isn't on the trade market last I heard. It's not because some idiot in Toronto thinks it would be great to have him on his team that he is. Just saying.

PricePkPatch*

I want absolutely nothing to with Eric Staal as a Hab, unless he comes here as a UFA.

Because the pricetag will be ridiculously high for what he can bring.

The UFA cost will also be horrendeously high

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Eric Staal isn't on the trade market last I heard. It's not because some idiot in Toronto thinks it would be great to have him on his team that he is. Just saying.

This. The Toronto media have gone so far as to say eric has already agreed to waive his ntc for Toronto. Must be news to Ron Francis who has said that he's not interested in dealing his star player.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Came from Darren Dreger who suppose to be fairly reliable. He said Leafs tried to get Staal over the summer. He did say it was a big "if" he becomes available. So, does sound like he is splicing together things.

Canes do fall out of it I can imagine they be interested in McDavid. Probably not a Gretzky or Lemieux caliber but say a Lafleur or Crosby type. With Staal doubt they be bad enough to get him.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Wow, some people here don't see the point of having Staal in Montreal? Seriously? Heck of a player on a terrible team...

Someone called him inconsistent? Take a second and go see his statistics, that's pretty much one of the most consistent guys out there.

I'd give a lot to have Staal in Montreal. He's exactly what we're looking for. Salivating at the idea of having Staal, Galchenyuk and Plekanec at center.

PricePkPatch*

thats true but this way you are talking alot of assets to get him AND money to resign him.

There aint nothing wrong with paying for a rental :)

The entire point is to make a smash in the playoffs

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I want both Staals. One is Eric and the other is ransom to make Eric re-sign.

Staal + Staal

For

Desharnais, Eller, 1st, 2nd, two prospects, player to equalize salary.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The equity people here are offering is crazy. It's not like we were trying to get Malkin or Crosby... Spezza was traded for 10x less what everone is offering.

Amen, bro.

That's just how trade proposals go on this board. Someone comes up with a huge overpayment and people chime in and say: "pfff!... well, that's not enough!".

And then later said player gets traded for a Boychuk-like return and we're all: "wtf?! we could have done that!"

Remember when nobody wanted to sign Ryder because he was supposedly going to cost us 5M+ and he wasn't worth that imaginary contract? Next thing you know he signs for 3.5M with another team and now we're having trouble scoring goals...

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I'd like Staal a lot in Montreal, to have Patches play alongside him.

For that to happen, DD needs to go (or else he'd prevent staal from 1st line minutes with Pac :sarcasm: )

A 1st rounder is a given IMO.

A good prospect, or two decent ones.

For me the base of the trade would be this:

to that, I'd add 2 of the following (one forward+one defenseman OR two forwards):

Going to have to include McCarron, DLR in that list, I dont think those prospects would be enough.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Wow, some people here don't see the point of having Staal in Montreal? Seriously? Heck of a player on a terrible team...

Someone called him inconsistent? Take a second and go see his statistics, that's pretty much one of the most consistent guys out there.

I'd give a lot to have Staal in Montreal. He's exactly what we're looking for. Salivating at the idea of having Staal, Galchenyuk and Plekanec at center.

He's a very good player, but no way Carolina moves him for bit pieces. They have no reason to move him...he is their franchise player and probably wants to stay there. So what makes you think trading them 2-3 "good" pieces would make them change their mind? He's not even 30 yet.

I think for Carolina to move him here, Galchenyuk would have to be part of the package, something most fans here would balk at, so no point having a 25 page thread on trading Fucale, 1st and Hudon for Staal when Carolina laughs and hangs up the phone...

That's not even mentioning his NTC plus he fact that he is a FA in 20 months. Imagine trading a huge package for him and he walks to become a UFA 2 years later, would be the Gomez or Recchi trade part II.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
You are NOT getting Eric Staal for trash like Eller + 2nd + B prospects..

Just because Dallas fleeced Ottawa in the off-season, doesn't mean Carolina will follow suit.

MINIMUM to get Staal would be a DD + 1st + Top Prospect

Chances are Carolina looks at that offer and says NO anyways because why would they want Desharnais if they are rebuilding.

They'd probably want DLR + McCarron + 1st.

I'd rather go after a top 6 winger who will come at a cheaper price.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
What if...what if...people were actually patient with Galchenyuk and let him become our first line centre in the near future? :amazed:

That would be good.

But to the guy who said Staal is inconsistent, I don't think it means what you think it means... The guy pretty much always, year in and year out, get 70 or more points, with the exception of last year... That's called consistency.

Of course Staal would be a nice piece to have, but I'm afraid the price would be simply too high to pay. You have to give a lot of future pieces to land a guy like him, and I'm a little reluctant to do that. But then again, it's Eric Staal... I don't know...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad