Speculation: Could Eric Staal be on Canadiens' radar?

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I feel like the price for Staal would be around:

Desharnais, 1st round 2015, pick 1 of: McCarron, De la Rose, Scherbak

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal

Cap-wise though, we would need to move a bigger salary than DD iirc. Value wise, makes a LITTLE bit of sense. Feel like we're overpaying on the prospect, but that's what a team will have to do if they want Staal. Hypothetically, if you replace DD with, let's say Plekanec, you lower the value of those prospects to more of a Nygren/Patteryn/Ghetto type of prospect I reckon

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Staal for DD, Moen, Bourque, 2015 1st, 2016 1st , any 2 prospects except the 1st rounders.

Moen and Bourque are there for salary reason.

Pacioretty - Staal - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Parenteau
Bournival - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Claim a 13th fwd on waiver

Of course, that won't happen.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Staal for DD, Moen, Bourque, 2015 1st, 2016 1st , any 2 prospects except the 1st rounders.

Moen and Bourque are there for salary reason.

Pacioretty - Staal - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Parenteau
Bournival - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Claim a 13th fwd on waiver

Of course, that won't happen.

And a mini bus to move them in. :laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

DD + two firsts? Sure, but make 'em future 1sts not Scherbak for instance. McCarron I dunno, I'm wary to give away big players in fear of losing the next LeClair.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
He has done nothing since the one post lockout year that they really called infractions. He won the Stanley Cup in the poweplayoffs. He's been going down ever since.

He's a good player still, but not upper echelon dominant like his reputation that's still holding.

Not worth the price and not a game-breaker.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Malhotra, Bork, Moen, Andrighetto, Thomas, Drewieske and Weise's corpse

for Eric Staal, Jordan Staal and fresh buscuits, 40% of buscuit's cap hit retained

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
He has done nothing since the one post lockout year that they really called infractions. He won the Stanley Cup in the poweplayoffs. He's been going down ever since.

He's a good player still, but not upper echelon dominant like his reputation that's still holding.

Down ever since? He scored above ppg in 12-13 (6th in the nhl in scoring). Last time he did that was in the post lockout season.

He's been otherwise consistent at just barely under ppg. The one exception to that is last season, when Carolina was particularly miserable.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I would look at it as a rescue mission.
I don't think his fire's been stoked for quite some time.
He was actually one of the few players I ever saw get the best of Z in a series.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I would look at it as a rescue mission.
I don't think his fire's been stoked for quite some time.
He was actually one of the few players I ever saw get the best of Z in a series.

Yeah he looked great then.

I don't think he'll be moved, at least not until the offseason, but MB would be nuts to not put a serious offer on the table.

If I'm Carolina I'm wondering why I don't just let the chips fall and hope for McDavid-Staal-Staal next season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Which is why you don't pull that trigger...

Pretty sure I would do that without thinking twice. The guy has scored under 70pts once in his career since his rookie year, and he's been on some terrible teams (including last year when he got 61pts). Having him center a line with MaxPac and Gallagher would be amazing.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
To me trading for Staal is a Gomez redux waiting to happen. Not convinced he'll have the impact of an elite #1 going forward.

If all they want is DD/Eller, picks and marginal prospects, then sure, why not. Multiple first rounders and some of our prime prospects, however, is a no from me. And we all know in the real world, they would expect actual assets coming back, so there's no way to make this work from my perspective.

I'm happy with what we currently have down the middle. I'd be more open moving pieces for an impact winger if anything. I'm confident Galchenyuk will be a legit #1 center in this league within 2 years.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
The equity people here are offering is crazy. It's not like we were trying to get Malkin or Crosby... Spezza was traded for 10x less what everone is offering.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The equity people here are offering is crazy. It's not like we were trying to get Malkin or Crosby... Spezza was traded for 10x less what everone is offering.

It's different. Spezza wanted to leave Ottawa. E.Staal is happy in Raleigh. He has one of the best salaries in the NHL, only to score goals for a lottery team. Besides, he plays with his brother. Why would he want to leave the Hurricanes ?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I would offer at best:

Eller + Pick + B Prospect.

As someone said, just look at what Spezza was traded for.

Big name players rarely get big returns. It is always a combination of young forward + mid level picks and prospects.

Kesler is another good example.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
I'd like Staal a lot in Montreal, to have Patches play alongside him.

For that to happen, DD needs to go (or else he'd prevent staal from 1st line minutes with Pac :sarcasm: )

A 1st rounder is a given IMO.

A good prospect, or two decent ones.

For me the base of the trade would be this:
Eric Staal

VS

Desharnais
+
Conditionnal 2015 1st round pick (If we do not make the Stanley Cup Final, then switch to 2016 1st round pick)

to that, I'd add 2 of the following (one forward+one defenseman OR two forwards):
Andrighetto/Reway/Hudon/Thomas/Bozon
Pateryn/Nygren/Bennett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad