Player Discussion: Cory Conacher

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I liked Conacher but I didn't fall in love with him like it seems everyone else has. He got top 6 minutes early, played well and put up points. Malone got hurt and Killorn was called up and began getting top 6 minutes also. Pouliot starts playing well and Conachers minutes start to go down. Puoliot gets hurt and Conacher goes to the third line, Thompson and Pyatt start playing in his spot. Change of coach and his minutes still go down some. Was on the 2nd PP unit and played no PK. Something was wrong with his game to drop like that when the players he was competing with get hurt and you go down a line.
I may be wrong but I don't see the next Fluery or St. Louis but more another Pyatt. No need for two similar undersized players in the bottom 6. Pyatt is also a C and can play PK so he to me ks more valuable.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I liked Conacher but I didn't fall in love with him like it seems everyone else has. He got top 6 minutes early, played well and put up points. Malone got hurt and Killorn was called up and began getting top 6 minutes also. Pouliot starts playing well and Conachers minutes start to go down. Puoliot gets hurt and Conacher goes to the third line, Thompson and Pyatt start playing in his spot. Change of coach and his minutes still go down some. Was on the 2nd PP unit and played no PK. Something was wrong with his game to drop like that when the players he was competing with get hurt and you go down a line.
I may be wrong but I don't see the next Fluery or St. Louis but more another Pyatt. No need for two similar undersized players in the bottom 6. Pyatt is also a C and can play PK so he to me ks more valuable.

Fair enough that it seems there was something with his game that coaches saw and we didn't. However, saying he's a 3rd liner and completely disregarding potential and then focusing purely on potential for Bishop is pretty contradictory.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
My thoughts on Bishop:

His size is a massive asset, since he's not overly athletic (also due to his size). He plays a simple positional game and if he was 6'0, he might not be considered NHL-calibre. He's progressed very well over the last year for us and stolen at least a few games. If he continues at this pace, he could become a very good, incredibly consistent #1 for you guys.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fair enough that it seems there was something with his game that coaches saw and we didn't. However, saying he's a 3rd liner and completely disregarding potential and then focusing purely on potential for Bishop is pretty contradictory.

I haven't seen Bishop play to be able to give any other assessment than potential to be a #1. I've only read what Sen's fans have said about his game.
I know I've only seen 30 games of Conacher and he's still young with room to improve. But from what I see I don't really see a legit top 6 winger. More a 2/3 tweener. He has great speed, hustles and not afraid to get to the dirty areas. He got his goals on deflections, or tips in front which nothing is wrong with but that's more of a big man's game. I don't know if he can take the beating in front of the net like that for a full 82 game season. I don't see a great shot or snipping ability that most top 6's have to go with the dirty goals. Has a chance to get 20 goals a couple of seasons.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I haven't seen Bishop play to be able to give any other assessment than potential to be a #1. I've only read what Sen's fans have said about his game.
I know I've only seen 30 games of Conacher and he's still young with room to improve. But from what I see I don't really see a legit top 6 winger. More a 2/3 tweener. He has great speed, hustles and not afraid to get to the dirty areas. He got his goals on deflections, or tips in front which nothing is wrong with but that's more of a big man's game. I don't know if he can take the beating in front of the net like that for a full 82 game season. I don't see a great shot or snipping ability that most top 6's have to go with the dirty goals. Has a chance to get 20 goals a couple of seasons.

You really need to stop talking.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

He's absolutely a top 6 forward. Guy has speed, heart, and courage and I don't see how him not sniping goals is any indication of him not being a top 6 player. He is more of a playmaker and not at all a sniper. His deflections are an indication of his smooth hands. He has very good vision and hockey IQ, only needs to work on his defense a bit. But to be honest, his defense isn't all that bad either, he just needs to work on positioning since he doesn't have a long reach. Are playmakers no longer top 6 guys because they can't snipe a goal against a squared up goalie? That's a ridiculous argument.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC

I say keep talking :)...while I don't agree with all of it, there are some valid points.

I agree with:
-82 game "beating." It remains to be seen if Conacher can stay in the scrappy areas in front of the net, and take questionable hits such as the Janssen hit vs. NJ over a full NHL season. This will only be the 2nd season in his career where he's played over 60 games in a season, and I'm interested if he can stay injury-free while working in the "blue collar" areas of the ice. I hope he stays healthy.

-20 goal seasons. I think with his talent and ability, 20+ goals in a season is not out of the question. I don't think he'll hit 30, but who knows. I am really interested to see who his linemates are in Ottawa, and if he'll be more of a shoot-and-score or pass the puck, set up the goals style winger.

I don't agree with:
-2/3 tweener assessment. I think Conacher could be a top 6 player, especially due to Ottawa's need for solid wingers. His speed and vision on the ice is incredible...hopefully Ottawa sticks up for him more than we did.

-Snipping ability. I think his set of hands are much better than we realize. He's no Stamkos, but the guy can toe drag with the best of them. Toe drag proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEWy4M_nXns

These are just my opinions. Again, I wish nothing but success for Conacher in Ottawa...just no points against us!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's absolutely a top 6 forward. Guy has speed, heart, and courage and I don't see how him not sniping goals is any indication of him not being a top 6 player. He is more of a playmaker and not at all a sniper. His deflections are an indication of his smooth hands. He has very good vision and hockey IQ, only needs to work on his defense a bit. But to be honest, his defense isn't all that bad either, he just needs to work on positioning since he doesn't have a long reach. Are playmakers no longer top 6 guys because they can't snipe a goal against a squared up goalie? That's a ridiculous argument.

I said he has speed, works hard and has good vision. Yes playmakers are top 6, he's made some good passes this season. I'm not sure what your opinion of a top 6 winger is. I would consider Purcell a good second line winger, he's a playmaker with better size, hands, vision and shot. Conacher is below him to me, if you think Purcell is a good first line winger than yes Conacher would be a good second liner.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
You guys got a hell of a player for something we didnt need. Conacher has the potential to be a star in the league. He will pay dividends for you immediatly.

We got hosed on this one.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
I say keep talking :)...while I don't agree with all of it, there are some valid points.

I agree with:
-82 game "beating." It remains to be seen if Conacher can stay in the scrappy areas in front of the net, and take questionable hits such as the Janssen hit vs. NJ over a full NHL season. This will only be the 2nd season in his career where he's played over 60 games in a season, and I'm interested if he can stay injury-free while working in the "blue collar" areas of the ice. I hope he stays healthy.

-20 goal seasons. I think with his talent and ability, 20+ goals in a season is not out of the question. I don't think he'll hit 30, but who knows. I am really interested to see who his linemates are in Ottawa, and if he'll be more of a shoot-and-score or pass the puck, set up the goals style winger.

I don't agree with:
-2/3 tweener assessment. I think Conacher could be a top 6 player, especially due to Ottawa's need for solid wingers. His speed and vision on the ice is incredible...hopefully Ottawa sticks up for him more than we did.

-Snipping ability. I think his set of hands are much better than we realize. He's no Stamkos, but the guy can toe drag with the best of them. Toe drag proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEWy4M_nXns

These are just my opinions. Again, I wish nothing but success for Conacher in Ottawa...just no points against us!

Word from the Sens today was that he'd slide in on a line as:
Conacher - Zibanejad - Silfverberg

Seems like it would complement him well. Zbad is good at forcing turnovers and going the other way (Conacher can jump up with him). And Silfverberg gives them a pure shooter. )

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
I also have to echo the other Ottawa fans saying how good Bishop has been. Dude has done nothing but trend up. Host of the afternoon radio show here (former NHL exec) thinks Tampa 'won' the trade as he thinks Bishop will clearly be a #1.

Judging by the posts in the main board, most people have not really seen him play any significant amount of games. Then again, I was among the group advocating trading Anderson and going with Lehner/Bishop.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly one of bishops biggest attributes are his puck handling abilities.

He can move and handle the puck really well.

I'm sad to see him go. Hope we get some good clean hickey between us in realignment :)

Really excited about Conacher.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I said he has speed, works hard and has good vision. Yes playmakers are top 6, he's made some good passes this season. I'm not sure what your opinion of a top 6 winger is. I would consider Purcell a good second line winger, he's a playmaker with better size, hands, vision and shot. Conacher is below him to me, if you think Purcell is a good first line winger than yes Conacher would be a good second liner.

I would say Conacher's vision is on par with Purcell's and I think his hands are comparable. Purcell is bigger, but so what? It's not like Purcell uses his size to his advantage. I would say they are both good 2nd liners and can certainly fit in on a top line. And the reason I brought up his playmaking is because you made it sound as if you have to be a sniper to be in the top 6.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I would say Conacher's vision is on par with Purcell's and I think his hands are comparable. Purcell is bigger, but so what? It's not like Purcell uses his size to his advantage. I would say they are both good 2nd liners and can certainly fit in on a top line. And the reason I brought up his playmaking is because you made it sound as if you have to be a sniper to be in the top 6.

I love Conacher, but when Purcell is on, he's ridiculously skilled. He is, outside of Marty, our most skilled passer. His only issue is compete level, but if that stabilizes, he's an amazing player. Just look at last night... the dude was our best player outside of maybe Hedman, and directly set up both goals with his great play.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It sounds like when he played with good players (Stamkos, Purcell, Lecavalier and St. Louis) he was producing pretty decently.

If he's anything like Gallagher (I've heard this a few times now, but less physical better hands) then I'll be happy to have him. Fleury is my 2nd favorite player of all time so to have a player that is even compared to him in the slightest would be pretty sweet.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
I love Conacher, but when Purcell is on, he's ridiculously skilled. He is, outside of Marty, our most skilled passer. His only issue is compete level, but if that stabilizes, he's an amazing player. Just look at last night... the dude was our best player outside of maybe Hedman, and directly set up both goals with his great play.

Purcell is easily a first line winger talent but is too often off his game to be noted as a good first line winger. Conacher has the potential to be a first line winger but is more suited to be a good second line winger imo. A first line winger on Ottawa? yeah.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

I disagree with that. Purcell's vision, hands and hockey iq are ridiculous. If his motor was like Conachers then we have a bigger MSL. Unfortunately he doesn't.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

No. No one on the team has better hands than Purcell AINEC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad