Player Discussion: Cory Conacher

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I think they want Conacher anchoring that Syracuse squad instead of being a healthy scratch the vast majority of nights, only reason I can guess why he's not up. He's played well enough in the NHL to be a regular, which is why they extended him.
Couldn’t agree more Martel has played 1 game why sit Conacher when he could be leading in Syracuse.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I probably watched half the games this year, got the AHL TV package but haven't figured out how to use the on demand feature so the games I didn't see live I don't know how to catch? Why?
Because I can’t see Verhaeghe being any kind of 4th line option for Pacquette. Stephens is the guy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Possibly true but i’d much rather see Conacher than Martel for example.
If we're having a guy riding pine or mentoring the young guys in Syracuse, I'd rather Martel ride the pine than Conacher. Conacher got a one-way contract for being a good team player. He's going to be making 700k to play hockey in the AHL. Not going to feel too sorry for him.

He is not strong enough on his skates to be an NHLer. He doesn't have a shot that can beat NHL goalies. He's fast, but the difference in speed isn't enough in the NHL to create a lot of separation, so he doesn't have the time/space to do shit that works in the NHL. He can not be trusted in defensive situations.

This is a no-brainer. He's been given more shots than most to make it as an NHL regular on four different franchises (some of them not particularly good at that). Do I think he could score 40 points if he was on a line with Point and Gourde? Maybe. Do I think that line would be better with literally anyone else on a one-way contract than with Conacher? Absolutely.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He is not strong enough on his skates to be an NHLer. He doesn't have a shot that can beat NHL goalies. He's fast, but the difference in speed isn't enough in the NHL to create a lot of separation, so he doesn't have the time/space to do **** that works in the NHL. He can not be trusted in defensive situations.

I don't quite agree. Maybe 5-6 years ago he'd be an AHL+ guy, but the way the NHL has evolved to need three scoring lines, he's good enough to crack most teams top 9, just not ours.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Some good points but i’d still have him next man up, hard to ignore what he’s doing down there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Possibly true but i’d much rather see Conacher than Martel for example.

Why? Martel is effectively on neither the Crunch nor the Lightning. I'd rather have Conacher tearing up the AHL than serving popcorn. And, if we had an injury to fill, I think we should probably give somebody like Volkov a look and see what they're capable of. We've seen Conacher enough now to know exactly what he is and what he isn't.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Why? Martel is effectively on neither the Crunch nor the Lightning. I'd rather have Conacher tearing up the AHL than serving popcorn. And, if we had an injury to fill, I think we should probably give somebody like Volkov a look and see what they're capable of. We've seen Conacher enough now to know exactly what he is and what he isn't.
Only to fill an injury.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
If we're having a guy riding pine or mentoring the young guys in Syracuse, I'd rather Martel ride the pine than Conacher. Conacher got a one-way contract for being a good team player. He's going to be making 700k to play hockey in the AHL. Not going to feel too sorry for him.

He is not strong enough on his skates to be an NHLer. He doesn't have a shot that can beat NHL goalies. He's fast, but the difference in speed isn't enough in the NHL to create a lot of separation, so he doesn't have the time/space to do **** that works in the NHL. He can not be trusted in defensive situations.

This is a no-brainer. He's been given more shots than most to make it as an NHL regular on four different franchises (some of them not particularly good at that). Do I think he could score 40 points if he was on a line with Point and Gourde? Maybe. Do I think that line would be better with literally anyone else on a one-way contract than with Conacher? Absolutely.
Don’t agree with this accessment but whatever. All I care about is how he does in this organization and in my opinion is he has played well.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Conacher has to pass through waivers on the way back down. No chance he gets a call unless we lose two scoring forwards long term. He's way too valuable to the organization as a crutch to help push our Syracuse babies along.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He really doesn't. Hes not good enough for the NHL.

I think he's good enough for a fringe role. But I think NHL icetime is kind of like an investment, and we only have so much of it to go around. And there are a lot of other guys who are probably going to turn out to be better NHLers, even if they don't dominate the AHL the way Conacher does.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Having Conacher in Syracuse with the kids is having a far bigger effect on the Crunch than a lot of folks realize. Frst, the Crunch are the hottest team in the AHL right now, and Conacher is leading the team and league in scoring while playing far fewer games than anyone else at the top of the points stats. His dedication to the organization and the faith that the Lightning have in him as evident by his new contract are perfect examples to the younger Crunch players on what can happen if and when you show up to play every night.
Folks can type and say what they want, right now the heart and soul of the Crunch are named Conacher and Andrehoff. Take away one and the team stumbles, take away both and the Crunch fall faster than Cindy taking a dive to draw a penalty.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think the Lightning need to make a point of giving Conacher a permenant spot next year once Miller and/or Callahan are moved. Point is gonna need extension soon. Be it a bridge or something else, JBB is gonna get the phone hung up on him if he offers anything less than what Callahan makes now -so starting line is probably $6 million at least.

Conacher may be a "AAAA" player but based on his comments on his reassignment to SYR he completely gets it and takes nothing personal and it's good knowing we have someone like that who we can lean on when the time comes. He'll have a spot waiting if we do lose someone

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Having Conacher in Syracuse with the kids is having a far bigger effect on the Crunch than a lot of folks realize. Frst, the Crunch are the hottest team in the AHL right now, and Conacher is leading the team and league in scoring while playing far fewer games than anyone else at the top of the points stats. His dedication to the organization and the faith that the Lightning have in him as evident by his new contract are perfect examples to the younger Crunch players on what can happen if and when you show up to play every night.
Folks can type and say what they want, right now the heart and soul of the Crunch are named Conacher and Andrehoff. Take away one and the team stumbles, take away both and the Crunch fall faster than Cindy taking a dive to draw a penalty.
Very well said ! We have 2 NHL players in Syracuse to add excellent depth to the organization. Conacher is a key component to the Lightning in a way most people don’t see.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I love Conacher in Syracuse. I hate him in Tampa. Glad hes part of the organization as a mentor and a guy who can ease transition for prospects, but if hes in a regular spot in the lineup that's a bad thing.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I love Conacher in Syracuse. I hate him in Tampa. Glad hes part of the organization as a mentor and a guy who can ease transition for prospects, but if hes in a regular spot in the lineup that's a bad thing.
8 goals in 36 games last year averaging under 10 minutes of ice time. Great game changing penalty shot goal against Vancouver that helped win the game, great overtime goal against Dallas to win it. Had to love the Rask incident and his capable fill in role for Callahan in the playoffs. Including a beautiful goal that was called back due to Paquette gliding out of the zone. Your correct a BAD THING. He is not a star by any stretch of the imagination but at league minimum he is excellent in his role.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah. I'm a big believer that "building a culture of winning" begins in the AHL. I like that we can bring in a 20 year old rookie pro and have him get so used to winning that he expects it, while understanding how much work it requires. We might "need" Conacher in the NHL next year, depending on what players get sacrificed for the Point, Kucherov, and McDonagh raises. But I think he's more valuable to the organization as the leader of the Crunch.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

That's all going to depend on who we lose when we re-sign Point. If Conacher is the next best thing we have going he's more than likely going to get the spot. Not unless we make a move (Miller? Callahan?) and for giggles we trade someone like a pick and Koekkoek and acquire someone else better than Conacher

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's all going to depend on who we lose when we re-sign Point. If Conacher is the next best thing we have going he's more than likely going to get the spot. Not unless we make a move (Miller? Callahan?) and for giggles we trade someone like a pick and Koekkoek and acquire someone else better than Conacher

Keep in mind Volkov nearly made the team this year. And Stephens, a near perfect Callahan replacement at a much more appropriate price, is on the doorstep. Both of these guys are likely a bigger part of our future than Conacher.

Further out: Katchouk is two years away at most and Raddysh remains a bit of a question mark because of his skating.

We have a lot of guys knocking on the door. Conacher just doesn't really fit a bottom six role, and then we have to worry about the Crunch losing him every time we pass him through waivers. I don't know that he'd pass right now.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ScottyFreakinUpshall

Aug 13, 2010
I’ve been watching crunch games for a while (as in years) and this year conacher is on such a higher level then anyone on the ice (including opposing teams) its crazy. Whenever he is down he is usually the best play but it was pretty crazy watching him this year and seeing the gap. Even to a guy like Andreoff.

I think he could easily play above Paquette/Callahan/Erne, and would also think a guy like Joseph still needs some time to grow. Now don’t freak out HF - I’m saying Conacher is better than these players, I’m simply saying that he could do what they do as of right now.

As for prospects - theres no one on the team close to stepping up. Katchouk and Raddysh are both a while away and need to SKATE. Volkov is off this year and stephens is a 4C at best. I love Verhagae but whoever said hes next man up is clearly canadian because he’s high as hell.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I’ve been watching crunch games for a while (as in years) and this year conacher is on such a higher level then anyone on the ice (including opposing teams) its crazy. Whenever he is down he is usually the best play but it was pretty crazy watching him this year and seeing the gap. Even to a guy like Andreoff.

I think he could easily play above Paquette/Callahan/Erne, and would also think a guy like Joseph still needs some time to grow. Now don’t freak out HF - I’m saying Conacher is better than these players, I’m simply saying that he could do what they do as of right now.

As for prospects - theres no one on the team close to stepping up. Katchouk and Raddysh are both a while away and need to SKATE. Volkov is off this year and stephens is a 4C at best. I love Verhagae but whoever said hes next man up is clearly canadian because he’s high as hell.
Offensively? Sure. Conacher is a disaster defensively though, and the four players you mentioned are all (to various degrees) capable of defending + PKing. With Conacher, we're going to have to pull in another top 6 forward to PK, which means blocking shots, taking more shifts, and not loading up lines the two shifts after a PK with our top offensive players.

His marginal offensive increase is outweighed by the fact that he simply cannot defend at the NHL level.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Conacher's always been an AHL monster though. Didn't he lead the league in goals/points with Norfolk?

Even if he is significantly better than that now, I don't think that necessarily translates into a better NHL performance. It's just hard to develop much faith in Conacher at the NHL level, given how many times we've seen him be an elite AHL player, and then a fringe NHLer.

And the thing about Joseph is, even if Conacher could put up more points, I don't think he could provide the other things Joseph provides, like beating out icings, killing penalties, and extending possession through hard work. Our third line was effective way before they started scoring. Up until a few games ago, they were all at 0.3 ppg or under. Now they've blown up a little bit, which makes it even better, but I'm just saying, there are more reasons Conacher won't make this team other than scoring ability. We have a pretty good thing going, chemistry-wise, right now. And Conacher's never proven himself to be such a make-or-break player that we should disrupt that.

ScottyFreakinUpshall

Aug 13, 2010
Conacher has killed penalties everywhere he has played (Including NHL), he could do it no problem up in the show.

Defensively he's not a disaster, he's not going to be your go to guy but your trying to tell me he's a liability is a stretch. Just because a player checks and is big doesn't mean he's good defensively. I would rather have a speedy guy killing penalties and getting to the dzone faster!

I'll always stick to my opinion, all I'm saying is I think he could slot into the lineup and there are a few guys that could leave and nothing would happen. It would all stay status quo.

There - I'm done being a Conacher homer now, just going to go watch him dominate the A lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad