Player Discussion: Cory Conacher

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Greetings, Lightning fans.

Well, Bishop for Conacher and a 4th. I know that you guys will love Big Ben. He's been amazing for us since we got him, and I have no doubt you guys will love him too.

As for Sens fans (myself at least), I know Conacher was, if I recall correctly, an undrafted free agent signing, and had a great start, but as far as I know, has cooled off lately and I think TSN reported he has 9 goals and 24 points this season so far. I know that he has been compared to Marty St. Louis, and if he carves out a career half of what Marty has, Sens fans will be thrilled with this deal.

I'm just wondering if TB fans can give us Sens fans a scouting report, his strengths and weaknesses, the type of player he is, best type of linemates for him, etc.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy Big Ben. I have no doubt he is/will be a #1 in this league for a long, long time.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Has a temper, takes stupid penalties at times. Also cheats and sometimes doesn't play defense, which is my biggest issue with him.

Great hands, vision, patience with the puck though. Not afraid of traffic areas, not afraid of anyone, really. Creative, fast, small. Needs to learn how to avoid a hit from time to time, though, otherwise he'll find himself in injury trouble.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Has a temper, takes stupid penalties at times. Also cheats and sometimes doesn't play defense, which is my biggest issue with him.

Great hands, vision, patience with the puck though. Not afraid of traffic areas, not afraid of anyone, really. Creative, fast, small. Needs to learn how to avoid a hit from time to time, though, otherwise he'll find himself in injury trouble.

Thanks for the feedback. :) Based on what you say, I think Paul MacLean may be the perfect coach to fix those weak points in his game. Would you classify him more as a setup type guy than a finisher then? Also, I assume he plays on the PP as an offensive guy? Does he PK much, if at all?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He is probably more of a playmaker, but the fact that he loves getting into the dirty areas means he'll score his fair share, too. Plays like a damn chiuhaha, but not in a negative way. The kid is small but plays like he's big.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
And he doesn't PK. In fact, he's the guy in the box for bench minors... not a lot of defensive acumen.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I'm confident that MacLean will do wonders for his defensive shortcomings. Do you think the comparisons to St. Louis are fair?

Has he played at all with Stamkos? I could see him playing with Spezza and Michalek on our top line when healthy (his is a LW, right?).

Oh, and how is he in the shootout? That's one weak area for the Sens.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You'd have to ask someone who watches more Crunch/Admirals games about the shootout.

Every single small guy gets compared to Marty, and that's kind of unfair to them. Conacher is his own player. He doesn't have the vision, hands, or puck control that Marty has, but then again, few players in the league do. He's a puck-hound, though. In a weird way, he almost reminds me more of Steve Downie (complete with the occasional dumb penalty).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I heard someone compare him more to a Theo Fleury lite than a MSL. Is this true? If it is I'm probably getting his jersey.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Conacher goes to war when he plays. Battles. Doesn't know how small he is. He works pretty hard.

Amazing vision. When you see him trying to set up plays, you will be amazed at his creativity.

And fast as hell.

Vieille Barbe

Radko's Modern Life
Apr 6, 2012
Hockey Paradise
Good in offensive zone, not so good at all in defensive zone. Gritty for his size but is definitely not a MSL 2.0 (at least not yet). Play regressed over recent weeks but it too early to judge him.

One thing I don't like is that he exposes himself to a lot of physical abuse. He may be a better fit in Ottawa. In Tampa he was one of a flock of smurfs from Syracuse, so I suppose that made him was expendable. Wish him good luck, except of course when playing his former team.

Last edited:

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
He plays defense like hes been taught by Ovechkin. You fix that and you have a great player.

Doesn't know the meaning of quit, I like the Downie comparison, such a motor, under utilised shot, gritty for his size, just isn't on the same level of pest as Downie was.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Sick hands and his vision on the ice will leave you dropping your jaw often.

Take care of him up there...

*******s..... :D

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

Agreed that move to cut in and send Johnson in alone last night was brilliant, Upshall hooked him and stopped the goal otherwise that would have been highlight reel material.

Video of it:

Link to NHL video

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
Some great feedback here from Tampa fans. What is the general feeling so far amongst TB fans about this trade?

Imploding but hopefully will step back from the ledge soon. Cory was a favorite of a lot of folks so they can't be objective right now. I really am unfamiliar with Bishop but like what I am hearing so far.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Some great feedback here from Tampa fans. What is the general feeling so far amongst TB fans about this trade?

Personally, I'm not too pleased. Yzerman could have had Bishop last year for a second rounder. Wasn't willing to part with that, so the most logical thing to do is offer the leading rookie in points and a fourth, right?

Right?

Anyway, what can you tell us about Bishop? We all know he's big. We already have a big goaltender. So I guess it'll be the twin towers in net.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Agree with most things here, he might not score you the highlight goals, but he gets the dirty goals and after all goal is goal.
Has a ton of heart and brings 110% every night and never gives up on plays.
Defensive problems were already mentioned enough, but he really lands on his ass a lot, if he could stay on his skates longer, that could help.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
He plays defense like hes been taught by Ovechkin. You fix that and you have a great player.

Doesn't know the meaning of quit, I like the Downie comparison, such a motor, under utilised shot, gritty for his size, just isn't on the same level of pest as Downie was.

I'm sorry, I just loved this line. ;)

We will take care of him. I think we may need another tough guy to protect our young skill guys.

Imploding but hopefully will step back from the ledge soon. Cory was a favorite of a lot of folks so they can't be objective right now. I really am unfamiliar with Bishop but like what I am hearing so far.

Personally, I'm not too pleased. Yzerman could have had Bishop last year for a second rounder. Wasn't willing to part with that, so the most logical thing to do it offer the leading rookie in points and a fourth, right?

Right?

Anyway, what can you tell us about Bishop? We all know he's big. We already have a big goaltender. So I guess it'll be the twin towers in net.

Re : Bishop, I think a lot of people used to view him as basically a tree with legs. He's impressed us though. Pretty good positionally, following the puck. His side to side movement isn't the greatest, but by no means bad, and probably the biggest weakness in his game is the five-hole, though that has been getting better too. If he can improve the five-hole, and have a good defense/defensive system in front of him, you guys should have a very solid goalie.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Re : Bishop, I think a lot of people used to view him as basically a tree with legs. He's impressed us though. Pretty good positionally, following the puck. His side to side movement isn't the greatest, but by no means bad, and probably the biggest weakness in his game is the five-hole, though that has been getting better too. If he can improve the five-hole, and have a good defense/defensive system in front of him, you guys should have a very solid goalie.

He sounds a hell of a lot like Lindback.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Agree with most things here, he might not score you the highlight goals, but he gets the dirty goals and after all goal is goal.
Has a ton of heart and brings 110% every night and never gives up on plays.
Defensive problems were already mentioned enough, but he really lands on his ass a lot, if he could stay on his skates longer, that could help.

Well, that certainly seems to fit in with our team. :)

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Cory is a pitbull that will stand up for any of his teammates, is physical and not afraid to get to the dirty areas of the ice. Great speed, good hands, vision and a decent scorer. You'll love him, just wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad