OT: Coronavirus XXXII: Pfizer Vaccinations Being Administered in the UK and Soon Canada & the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
My kid got the chicken pox today and has his vaccine for it. Apparently only 2 percent of all people get it after the vaccine.

knowing my luck I’ll still get Covid after getting the vaccine lol.
I remember finding out with my wife that she was not vaccinated like 2 weeks after we discovered she was pregnant with our first, and this at the time when there were quite a few chickenpox outbrakes around.

Feels kind of irrelevant in these times :laugh:. All is relative to covid now, but at the time it was worrying and she did many of the things we do now on a daily basis (distance, hand hygiene, no masks though).

Reactions: tardigrade81

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A lot of funny memes about the nightmare of 2020 ending, but come January 2021, our hospitals are going to be in a much worse situation then they are now, and restrictions will likely be extended. f*** me I hope this vaccine rollout is faster then some of the vibes I am currently getting. We desperately need that Moderna vaccine to be in production along with the Pfizer one.

Not necessarily the case at all with Ro down and test positivity rates going down. I mean it depends on peoples behavior, and there is a subset that just aren't doing this right. I went into a mall for the first time in a longtime last week as I had to go to a health store for a product. I did everything including getting in and out quick, timing it to a less busy time of day, and making sure I was using the closest entrance to the store. Just in that small window of time I saw people getting nails done, tattoos done, and lineups for these services, inside, not properly spaced, during a pandemic of a century.

I'm far past the point of saying things like Selfish. Its utter stupidity. its a segment of our population that just don't get it, and just don't care.

Another example. Journal published a couple photos of people lined up outside their favorite shops in Southgate mall. The lineups are inside. People are lined up and distanced maybe 3 ft, all leaning against a wall, all tapping a cell phone obliviously, and again face up against a wall. The place where air trails of potential covid, and spreading might be most likely to occur.

But the point being is during a pandemic like this you should never find yourself in the situation where you are waiting in one spot, inside, for long periods of time, and close to a large group of other people (lineup was long)

The correct modified shopping behavior would be to go to someplace like South common, or some big box store center, where lineups could be outside. This one basic more intelligent thing, a lot of people can't figure out to do.

So maybe you're right, I hope not.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Funny story from Italy, yesterday morning Lombardy and Piemonte became "yellow zones". Down from red zone and basically a lock-down light. They announced the opening of stores and resturants on a Sunday morning, less than 2 weeks from Christmas and after a 1.5 month lockdown (and weather was great) ...

Today all media and Govm people are (faking?) surprise and outrage at people going out en masse to shop and enjoying the nice weather. It was packed everywhere and of course in the matter of hours they changed from the rethoric of easing restrictions to being more harsh... I guess I know what's coming :(

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
They have already announced the vaccine wont stop you from getting the virus, and you will still need to wear your mask, and you can still transfer the virus. So what good is this vaccine exactly?

Has anyone looked up how devastating the vaccine was on minks (the animal with the most similar respiratory system to ours) after being exposed to the real virus? It made it exponentially more fatal.

Take your vitamins, get your excercise, eat healthy foods and get your sunshine. You will be fine, our immune systems have gone through a lot worse.

10000 deaths 200(numbers a little off but percentages correct) outside of long term care homes. You don't die from covid, you die from an existing condition, the mainstream media created hysteria is criminal.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Studz

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
what's the point of these articles anymore?

I know its a rhetorical question but lets look at the start, flash headline. "Younger Albertans put on ventilators, as Doctors have to choose who gets ICU.

Its a standard red herring article as the report doesn't substantiate that. But its textbook bait and switch. Is it honest?

It seems based on the one Doctors comments. The same Doctor on the large picture with deep imploring "save me eyes.

She states;
"But we know that their chance of survival is much less than, for example, someone who is 30, 40 maybe 50 years old. So we're having to have conversations at the beginning of admissions that although they may want to go to the intensive care unit, it may not be an option. And those conversations are happening more frequently," she said.
"And that's not something that we're used to saying. I mean, we're used to being able to do everything we can."

So she's stating a hypothetical the standard "we have to make decisions on lives" (which hasn't happened yet with Covid patients in this pandemic in Alberta) But its being reported as a factoid.

In the same article:

AHS recently added 20 additional ICU beds to adult hospitals around the city. Niven says 20 more beds can be opened, in stages of 10 at a time, under the current surge capacity plans. And he expects the next wave of 10 will likely be necessary within a week.
While Niven hasn't faced scenarios where people who should go to the ICU can't, he is witnessing another startling phenomenon.

Another poster asked, what should we expect from articles. Well, reasonable reporting. There is a difference between factual relaying of information and tabloid tactics. Not every news article should read as an opinion column. There are columnists that write those.

Not every reader responds well to alarmist tactics being used. Its a problem, because as much as concern is valid, in the hospitals the overhyping of what those situations are now is misinformation.

Similarly last week Dr Markland who compared Edmonton ICU to NY at peak of pandemic, misinformation. Its highly dangerous to be distorting the situation in ICU, because it causes people to question the information, and start to wonder more about the validity of such information. just saying.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They have already announced the vaccine wont stop you from getting the virus, and you will still need to wear your mask, and you can still transfer the virus. So what good is this vaccine exactly?

who is "they" and where was this announcement?

Has anyone looked up how devastating the vaccine was on minks (the animal with the most similar respiratory system to ours) after being exposed to the real virus? It made it exponentially more fatal.

Link?

10000 deaths 200(numbers a little off but percentages correct) outside of long term care homes. You don't die from covid, you die from an existing condition, the mainstream media created hysteria is criminal.

If you have terminal cancer and get hit by a bus, it's the bus that kills you. The bus is COVID.

This type of disinformation shouldn't even be allowed here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What do you mean? The purpose of news articles is to inform the public about what is happening in the world around them. What is the alternative to covering the pandemic that you are suggesting?

The "news" article is bait and switch. Look at the byline, look at the article. Read my other post if you want for more of a breakdown on what is wrong with the article.

The number one thing being is that Doctors in Alberta are not currently having to make decisions on who gets ICU. That is untrue.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Edmontonians at their finest. I cant go visit my parents for the holidays but they can pack West Ed. What a joke. These restrictions need to be taken off rural Alberta immediately. None of our stores have been this packed since the pandemic started back in March.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Edmontonians at their finest. I cant go visit my parents for the holidays but they can pack West Ed. What a joke. These restrictions need to be taken off rural Alberta immediately. None of our stores have been this packed since the pandemic started back in March.

It doesn't make sense that retail outlets that are in/out have 15% restrictions as you go to a grocery store from outside, and are only inside a minimal amount of time. I mean I have my shopping list embedded in my brain, know where the items are, and I'm using self checkout when those are not too tied up or busy. I can get a cart of groceries in like 20mins.

In a mall its a situation of people spending typically an hour, or two, or gawd, more in there and eating in there, and taking off their mask to eat and drink in there.

The Malls should be closed, other retail outlets say 25% capacity.

Years laters we'll possibly be finding out how bad an idea it was to allow malls to be open, or foodcourts to be open for in person dining during a pandemic.

The whole time period, I've stepped foot in a mall 3 times, always with mask, never in for more than 5-10mins. Overcrowded Malls during a pandemic of a century are an extremely bad idea.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It doesn't make sense that retail outlets that are in/out have 15% restrictions as you go to a grocery store from outside, and are only inside a minimal amount of time. I mean I have my shopping list embedded in my brain, know where the items are, and I'm using self checkout when those are not too tied up or busy. I can get a cart of groceries in like 20mins.

In a mall its a situation of people spending typically an hour, or two, or gawd, more in there and eating in there, and taking off their mask to eat and drink in there.

The Malls should be closed, other retail outlets say 25% capacity.

Years laters we'll possibly be finding out how bad an idea it was to allow malls to be open, or foodcourts to be open for in person dining during a pandemic.

The whole time period, I've stepped foot in a mall 3 times, always with mask, never in for more than 5-10mins. Overcrowded Malls during a pandemic of a century are an extremely bad idea.

my biggest concern with the new restrictions was malls and holiday shopping. There’s zero way to enforce mall capacity, the number of people going in and out, and how long they loiter for.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
1887 new cases in AB today. 15 more deaths.

Hinshaw: R value is not useful when looked at alone. Also need to look at new case numbers, which remain high. Need to achieve R value of well below 1 for several weeks to achieve low case numbers. A single week's R value does not tell us about a trend.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
my biggest concern with the new restrictions was malls and holiday shopping. There’s zero way to enforce mall capacity, the number of people going in and out, and how long they loiter for.
There's actually a very simple way to do it, they just aren't doing it.

Don't have a 100 entrances and have security at each one with counters.

WEM was doing way better when I was there a few months ago.

Reactions: nabob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Not to say that the majority of them aren’t Edmontonians but WEM has a huge portion of shoppers from outside of the city. I know of AirBNB hosts that get booked up like crazy for day trips to WEM etc from rural Albertans. I’d like to see how Southgate and Kingsway looked in comparison. Probably busier than they should be though.

No enforcement of the 15% of fire code restrictions?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not to say that the majority of them aren’t Edmontonians but WEM has a huge portion of shoppers from outside of the city. I know of AirBNB hosts that get booked up like crazy for day trips to WEM etc from rural Albertans. I’d like to see how Southgate and Kingsway looked in comparison. Probably busier than they should be though.

No enforcement of the 15% of fire code restrictions?

It would seem to be mostly out of jurisdiction shopping. For instance the two busiest Malls in the City, WEM and Southgate, both are located in areas that are less hard hit by the virus.

Epidemiology is made so much harder in the modern era of access to travel.

If it was always this way the Broadstreet London Cholera causing pump might not have been found.

Certainly the Malls themselves are not enforcing the 15% throughout, and it seems like nobody is checking.

WEM however did institute 15% at Galaxyland and they did this on their own, without requirement, months ago, in reopening the park.

But this is Xmas shopping season, and it seems like wild west (I'm not going)

Wife asks me what I want under the Xmas tree.

Me; Our health.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
There's actually a very simple way to do it, they just aren't doing it.

Don't have a 100 entrances and have security at each one with counters.

WEM was doing way better when I was there a few months ago.

yeah that’s what I was hoping they would do

At least everyone is wearing masks?? Still way too crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad