OT: Coronavirus XXVII: Two Vaccines Are 90%+ Effective, How Safe Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you think that the numbers are going to go down because there isn't a holiday in the next couple weeks, you haven't been doing the reading.

The virus spreads exponentially when left unchecked. With almost no restrictions - and what changed this week probably won't be a big help - the virus will continue to spread at rates better than 1:1. Super spreader events like Halloween don't just infect a bunch of partiers, they create hundreds of newly infected people who will go on to spread to more than 1 person on average. The numbers will only climb until they are checked and the rate of infection declines to below 1. There are only two ways anyone has ever reduced the rate of infection after having wide community spread: harsh lockdowns and a vast test and trace apparatus. Alberta has neither, and has actually gimped their contact tracing.

Not listening to the "lock er down" crowd because we had better than projected results BECAUSE OF THE LOCKDOWN is an absurd take and it's not what the UCP is actually doing. They're ignoring the overwhelming consensus of local healthcare experts to avoid short term economic pain in the hopes that a vaccine rides in to the rescue. But in the best case scenario a vaccine is still many months away from being wide enough to actually curb newly infected numbers and we've shot up to 81% ICU capacity from ~50% in three weeks.

I really don't blame our healthcare workers for abandoning this province. They deserve better than Alberta.

When are you leaving? ;)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No, I'm saying you're barking up the wrong tree.

Not sure what you're getting at here. We've already handed over a great deal of privacy and domain over our own lives to governments and major corporations in recent years, so why stop now? Am I interpreting your position correctly?

And how's that going?

Compared to previous global pandemics? Pretty damn well. Just not well enough to satisfy everyone, which was inevitable.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Raab

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oh good, look, honey, it says right here on the package it doesn't alter my DNA, we're good to go, just get me the shaver, hun, hun?

werewolf.jpg
what would the potential dangers be?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Keywords here, chances are. Not mandatory, and people can opt out if they don't want people to have their data. They can also not carry a cell phone if they don't want to. What is being proposed can not be opted out of.

As much as I sympathize the boat has passed. I fought having a smartphone for as long as I could. To the point that it actually became a requirement to work, to go to events, to go to hockey, concerts, go on trains, etc. Smartphone usage was pretty forced on us. If it wasn't for work requiring it I would have still said no, but eventually succumbed.

Every person carrying around a tracking device was a major, major intrusion on civil liberty, I fought it as long as I could, and hardly anybody would. 10yrs ago when this was occurring people that had been born accepting tech devices since birth looked at you as if you were alarmed at teddy bears.

No end of ridicule either, at work, here, or other places for not joining the mob and getting a smartphone that could track your every location and activity for the rest of time. Constant comments of "luddite" "get with the times" of every business wanting you to have a smart phone, wanting you to have their app, Govt services wanting you to use them, constant polls saying 80-90 % have them and love them, in all this the want to get every last person to sign over..

As societies we signed liberty/privacy over as quick as Apple users could stand in line at the shop drooling to be implanted with the latest tech device.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

With this I'm going to comment on something, and its problematic. Go to Nova Scotia sources and they put out extremely long lists of where all the known cases are occurring, when, where, exactly, and every one of them they know about. Its systematically done and every day. Holding no punches, reporting all.

The reporting here is much more haphazard, much less complete, and note that in this its the Store chains themselves reporting, and would probably be far from a complete list, and if anything the stores that are being responsible, and self reporting, will suffer, as people stay away.

AHS needs to be doing this hard work and taking responsibility. Its not fair for the stores that are decent enough to be self reporting to suffer. This is far from a complete list.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
How restrictive do you think the -70 storage issue will be?
The fact that a significant number of special -70 C freezers need to be acquired and the vaccine must be diluted by a professional at the point of distribution remain disadvantages for Pfizer's vaccine. I think that's why they have leveraged their significant resources in clinical trial enrollment/monitoring, data collection/summary, FDA relations, and vaccine distribution to be first to market. They likely realize that their short-lived monopoly will be very profitable and that their market share will erode significantly when large quantities of their competitors more user-friendly vaccines hit the market.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only the small retail ones. Even though all of these cases relate to the mega stores. ;)

I know your joking but the small stores, they would not be reporting, and are not really compelled to, and are far from likely to.

Which again is why this kind of information can't be left to self reporting. AHS gave very limited specific reporting on business cases for much of the time things were reopened. Now they are starting to report again. But the grocery chains, those were self reporting. That shouldn't be how this is going.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
With this I'm going to comment on something, and its problematic. Go to Nova Scotia sources and they put out extremely long lists of where all the known cases are occurring, when, where, exactly, and every one of them they know about. Its systematically done and every day. Holding no punches, reporting all.

The reporting here is much more haphazard, much less complete, and note that in this its the Store chains themselves reporting, and would probably be far from a complete list, and if anything the stores that are being responsible, and self reporting, will suffer, as people stay away.

AHS needs to be doing this hard work and taking responsibility. Its not fair for the stores that are decent enough to be self reporting to suffer. This is far from a complete list.

Doesn't AHS only disclose location when there has been an outbreak? Don't want the stigma of singling out every individual case and where it happened.

Reactions: oilers'72

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There's only one thing now spreading quicker than the COVID virus. And that's the thread pages on COVID discussion on this site. I go away from this for a couple hours, come back, and there's 3 more pages added!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad