OT: Coronavirus XXVII: Two Vaccines Are 90%+ Effective, How Safe Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No offense, but this dystopian concept is pure fantasy. The worst that would happen to someone who refused to take a compulsory vaccine is a fine, and there would be tons of court cases about the legality of a mandatory vaccination that would throw even that into limbo.

There's no authoritarian conspiracy in general. That line of thinking relating to both Covid-19 and life is alarmingly prevalent here and it's honestly just f***ing silly.
actually the worst that could happen to someone who didn't take the vaccine is that they wouldn't be on that list, and then they would not be allowed to travel, go to concerts, not be able to get certain jobs, and who knows what else.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
"Take this vaccine or you aren't allowed to take part in our new world."

Sign me up.

Or get Covid first and show that you had a positive test then no vaccine is necessary IMO.

Let's just imagine for a second that this was a small pox level virus and it killed 2/3 of people, would you and others still be complaining about vaccines or mandatory vaccines? It is obviously not that but the question needs to be asked if you would rather a 66% chance of death than having a needle stuck in your arm.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Just to clarify the situation. Teams were forced to stay within cohorts of 50 people or less, so in a few week span they could only play against one or two teams. For spectators, we were limited for the numbers (many rinks only allowing one spectator per kid) with excessive signage, mandatory masks, and barriers to reinforce distancing requirements and by nature parents from each always stick to the same side of the rink reducing the "cross-contamination" of different teams. Certainly it was more risky than not having sports at all, but the sports associations and recreational centres were taking it seriously to minimize that risk.

I probably could have understood it better had they just said no more games, but still allowed practices as you'd then be limited to a much smaller group and very few spectators. Especially frustrating to see them allow figure skating practice to continue in groups bigger than a hockey/ringette team, because of it being an "individual sport", when they've prohibited hockey or ringette practice.

Thanks for the explanation in regards to the safety measures in place, especially only allowing one family member. What are the rink staff doing to sanitize general public areas between games or do you know?

The figure skating one is baffling for sure. I see their side being the individual sport reasoning but you still have X number of figure skaters out on the ice plus a family member or members waiting for practise to end.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Or get Covid first and show that you had a positive test then no vaccine is necessary IMO.

Let's just imagine for a second that this was a small pox level virus and it killed 2/3 of people, would you and others still be complaining about vaccines or mandatory vaccines? It is obviously not that but the question needs to be asked if you would rather a 66% chance of death than having a needle stuck in your arm.
What if you can get it more than once.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018

My old lady drove a co-worker home two days prior to her colleague testing positive. Neither the old broad or me contracted covid. We were so close!

Playing the imagine game to warrant mandatory vaccinations presently.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Think about the boon it would be for the economy to build a whole infrastructure of walls and security to keep unvaccinated people out of everywhere from my apartment building to Costco to an airplane to an entire country. Thousands and thousands of jobs for scanner builders, enforcers, portcullis manufacturers, ferocious dog handlers and my imagination runs wild. I wonder if it will be run by the ultra efficient good for the economy which is good for the country capitalists in big pharma that introduce all these jobs? Or will it be a bunch of inefficient, non-good for the country civil servants?

Someone should write and self-publish a crappy novel on the possibilities.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

The lower death rate itself to me is the strongest argument to not make it mandatory. This isn't the plague or small pox which was basically a death sentence once you got it. This is worse than most strains of influenza, but compared to history's biggest pandemics it still has a reasonable survival rate that management is a reasonable goal rather than eradication. As such, and vaccine mandate would be reasonably met with significant resistance.

If this was like Small Pox or Plague, this would be a much more interesting conversation as I couldn't see any reasonable cause not to get it unless you had specific medical conditions preventing it. So how would people react if that was mandatory.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What if you can get it more than once.

You can. That said if you already have some defense to it it should be more of a known commodity than if you have never had it IMO. I would exempt people that have already had it from taking the vaccine unless they are now immunocompromised.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation in regards to the safety measures in place, especially only allowing one family member. What are the rink staff doing to sanitize general public areas between games or do you know?

The figure skating one is baffling for sure. I see their side being the individual sport reasoning but you still have X number of figure skaters out on the ice plus a family member or members waiting for practise to end.

I don't know specifcally what they were doing, but we were restricted as to when we could access the arenas which possibly allowed for some cleaning. I suspect it wasn't happening much in the stands though as it was a pretty tight window.

I am sure they were doing more in the dressing rooms though as we were mandated to come late and leave early and couldn't shower to allow for cleaning which would have given a pretty large window for disinfecting in the dressing rooms. I just don't know what they did specifically.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
A little positivity and facts

Translation: the hospitals will shutdown....at some point....people will die and quit.....

(So its us vs the doctors and nurses....I knew it)

...no thats not what I

(I don't need them anyway I'm a 30 something suburbanite and I want my f***ing avocado toast)

...ok...but its an epidemic....globally....we are trying to respond to it...

(f*** you asshole. These are my freedoms. You have nor right to tell me what to do)

...but what if someone in your family gets sick....or people get sick and leave your work....or you get sick and get organ damage...or worse yet..

(I said eat shit asshole. My freedoms. And if that did happen obviously these doctors and governments are useless)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Translation: the hospitals will shutdown....at some point....people will die and quit.....

(So its us vs the doctors and nurses....I knew it)

...no thats not what I

(I don't need them anyway I'm a 30 something suburbanite and I want my f***ing avocado toast)

...ok...but its an epidemic....globally....we are trying to respond to it...

(f*** you asshole. These are my freedoms. You have nor right to tell me what to do)

...but what if someone in your family gets sick....or people get sick and leave your work....or you get sick and get organ damage...or worse yet..

(I said eat shit asshole. My freedoms. And if that did happen obviously these doctors and governments are useless)

Not even sure what this Translation means......

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I have a feeling this vaccine is totally safe. It's RNA based, but it doesn't alter your DNA, just adds to it for a short time, as RNA doesn't last forever.

As long as the vaccine has went through trials I don't see the big issue. It's hard to tell with messaging, but to me it really seems like we are being told not to trust it for political reasons.

DNA makes MRNA, and usually doesn't go the other way. Theres apparently some diseases it can happen like HIV/Aids, but for the majority it doesn't happen.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
actually the worst that could happen to someone who didn't take the vaccine is that they wouldn't be on that list, and then they would not be allowed to travel, go to concerts, not be able to get certain jobs, and who knows what else.

It's surprising how many ordinary people are simply fine with this possibility. 24/7 government surveillance and micromanagement of people's day to day activities in a nation like Canada was considered Orwellian science fiction as recently as 20 years ago, now it seems there are people out there actively hoping we go down that path.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's surprising how many ordinary people are simply fine with this possibility. 24/7 government surveillance and micromanagement of people's day to day activities in a nation like Canada was considered Orwellian science fiction as recently as 20 years ago, now it seems there are people out there actively hoping we go down that path.

Man, chances are you've already surrendered every bit of private information and consented to constant monitoring by unelected and unaccountable corporations a long time ago, maybe focus on that instead of hypotheticals.

Reactions: LTIR and AT14C

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Man, chances are you've already surrendered every bit of private information and consented to constant monitoring by unelected and unaccountable corporations a long time ago, maybe focus on that instead of hypotheticals.

Keywords here, chances are. Not mandatory, and people can opt out if they don't want people to have their data. They can also not carry a cell phone if they don't want to. What is being proposed can not be opted out of.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have a feeling this vaccine is totally safe. It's RNA based, but it doesn't alter your DNA, just adds to it for a short time, as RNA doesn't last forever.

As long as the vaccine has went through trials I don't see the big issue. It's hard to tell with messaging, but to me it really seems like we are being told not to trust it for political reasons.

Oh good, look, honey, it says right here on the package it doesn't alter my DNA, we're good to go, just get me the shaver, hun, hun?

werewolf.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
His own private police force who take only orders from him. That's a new development.

Manitoba hiring private security to help enforce coronavirus restrictions

"Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister says the province is hiring a private security company to help enforce restrictions in place to curb the spread of COVID-19."

Interesting. Precedent of security personel handing out by-law tickets already exists for some offenses such as parking. However, this is obviously much bigger and one should be concerned about future implications after going down this road. Some of these security company personel have minimal training make minimum wage and you're giving them the ability to handout significant tickets. I can see this going badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad