OT: Coronavirus XXII: Vaccines For Medical Personnel By Year's End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Ive been trying to stay optimistic about it, but Johnson & Johnson just had a hiccup delaying their progress, maybe easter they might have something approved
My work (city hall) is staying at 35 percent capacity till there is a vaccine. I’m ok with it. Small tight offices, I don’t want a bunch of people around lol.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
We may be barreling towards a fight between the FDA and White House over the vaccine approval.

The FDA revised their guidance for vaccine approval about a week ago in response to the political threat of any candidate being approved prematurely for election purposes. The non-binding guidance spells out that 2 months of safety data after the 2nd dose will be required as part of the data packet submitted to the regulatory body. This would allow vaccine developers to provide a stronger, evidenced-based argument to the review panels. In addition, it should strengthen the public's confidence in receiving the vaccine, which was eroding after the vaccine became a political issue. However, this would push earliest approval in November/December territory.

That being said... Pfizer has jumped into the lead because they applied their established, vast trial recruitment network to enroll the required number of people into the study the fastest among the competitors. They still claim that they will have the efficacy data by the end of October, but have been tight-lipped about whether they would support political intervention by the White House to approve the vaccine without the additional 2 months of safety data should that option be presented to them.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Speaking of vaccines. Flu shot spots are booking up quick in a lot of locations in Edmonton from what I saw. No more dropping in this year. Some places booked into Nov, some others that one one thinks to check had openings next week.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
“He was working on his truck the day before he passed away. So it’s not like he was incapacitated, lying in bed,” Archbold said.

Definitely more dangerous than the flu. Silent hypoxia. Sometimes the damage to the lungs arent extremely overt but it's significant. Many stories about how people with seemingly mild symptoms can take a abrupt turn for the worse and die the next day.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Honestly, who can you trust in the US?

To me it seems that no one is on the same page and are constantly accusing each other of being liars.

Crazy Country.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Very sad..still doesn’t say the hospitals were overwhelmed

Funny, somehow the depression and few suicides from "lockdowns/economy" is more of an issue for you than the depression and suicides from front line health care workers having to deal with increased covid cases.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, how does that change what Cuomo said?

Might affect the context with that style of journalism. I don't follow US politics so I have nothing more to reference it with apart from the article you've posted. Or maybe it's as simple as trying not to have the hospitals overwhelmed? What do you think?

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
We may be barreling towards a fight between the FDA and White House over the vaccine approval.

The FDA revised their guidance for vaccine approval about a week ago in response to the political threat of any candidate being approved prematurely for election purposes. The non-binding guidance spells out that 2 months of safety data after the 2nd dose will be required as part of the data packet submitted to the regulatory body. This would allow vaccine developers to provide a stronger, evidenced-based argument to the review panels. In addition, it should strengthen the public's confidence in receiving the vaccine, which was eroding after the vaccine became a political issue. However, this would push earliest approval in November/December territory.

That being said... Pfizer has jumped into the lead because they applied their established, vast trial recruitment network to enroll the required number of people into the study the fastest among the competitors. They still claim that they will have the efficacy data by the end of October, but have been tight-lipped about whether they would support political intervention by the White House to approve the vaccine without the additional 2 months of safety data should that option be presented to them.
End of October in USA, when in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad