OT: Coronavirus XXII: Vaccines For Medical Personnel By Year's End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
For perspective Edmonton has 1500 active cases at the moment. Any Edmonton Neighborhood has more active cases than all of Regina.
I know that. I’m not saying we are brutal, I’m just saying we were at zero active cases for the longest time and now in Saskatchewan I think we are over 250.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg is having a major outbreak too. The city n province were mostly spared until about 6 weeks ago.
Ya my brother lives there with his three kids. He said it’s getting pretty scary out there. He was suppose to come In for thanksgiving but obviously did not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gates knew it was coming based on history. Trump eliminated the infectious disease task force. Most people believe that the responses of both the Canadian and American governments was subpar. I believe Gates is trying to help eradicate it.

Yep, anybody paying close attention knew that outbreaks like Ebola were convenient warnings that we paid little attention to. Ironically we did gear up somewhat, but then percieved false alarms like Sars and H1N1 resulted in an apparent feeling that concerns were overblown and vastly reduced vigilance.

Biggest problem with keeping alert on the infectious front is the political will to do that and a populace that votes on whatever they see or sense. Bacteria, virus being invisible to naked eye, its harder for humans to visualize or see the fear. Its odd that we run fear based politics, but just not fear manifest about what should concern us the most.

Reactions: Leo360

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It can also cause strokes. This is not just a respiratory ailment.

Yup, it's definitely somewhat different than the flu/cold and more widespread in the damage it can do. It causes widespread inflammation in many organs and in the blood vessels. Can cause clots all over the body which can get into the brain and cause a stroke. It can really kick the crap out of your body and I think it can take a long long time to fully recover from if it doesn't do permanent damage to certain parts of the body.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know that. I’m not saying we are brutal, I’m just saying we were at zero active cases for the longest time and now in Saskatchewan I think we are over 250.

Yeah but you're posting that in a predominately Edmonton board. I get it, its arrived in numbers for the first time in your area. But in comparison its off the charts here. I can't go to the store, anywhere without a safe assumption that somebody in that store has covid. Thats what the numbers mean here probability wise. Edmonton has 1500 confirmed active cases. In pure numbers that probably means closer to 10K real active cases in Edmonton region, and if HInshaws polling is right, around 11 % of those walking around doing their normal thing. So that there could be 1K Covid patients mobile in Edmonton going to tons of places spreading this..

The better news though is that far fewer deaths are resulting from the virus at this time in regions and countries that have had the virus for several months.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, it's definitely somewhat different than the flu/cold and more widespread in the damage it can do. It causes widespread inflammation in many organs and in the blood vessels. Can cause clots all over the body which can get into the brain and cause a stroke. It can really kick the crap out of your body and I think it can take a long long time to fully recover from if it doesn't do permanent damage to certain parts of the body.

Its crazy that its Fall 2020 and the average person still knows so little about this biggest pandemic in their lifetime. Boggles the mind. How could people make the decision not to be even remotely informed about the effects? Has twitter/texting fully created automatons that only understand something contained in 40 characters or less? Rhetorical question. It was always my fear about these medium. We're raising people to be focused on the mundane, whatever whacked thing Cardi B did, and things that go bump in the night and go viral, vs things that might actually be important.

It strikes me always that if the want was to create abject stupidity in populace, and we didn't have twitter, texting, instagram, social media, it would be invented to create the effect. I mean propaganda and viral communication forms is how you build hive mind. Thats the means in which easy control over minds occurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: HK97 and Oilhawks

Alik Bordour

Jun 26, 2004
Ya my brother lives there with his three kids. He said it’s getting pretty scary out there. He was suppose to come In for thanksgiving but obviously did not.
Pretty scary about 1,374 active cases??? The same goes to Edmonton. You really live in dreamworld and won't be ready for any unexpected consequences.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Its crazy that its Fall 2020 and the average person still knows so little about this biggest pandemic in their lifetime. Boggles the mind. How could people make the decision not to be even remotely informed about the effects? Has twitter/texting fully created automatons that only understand something contained in 40 characters or less? Rhetorical question. It was always my fear about these medium. We're raising people to be focused on the mundane, whatever whacked thing Cardi B did, and things that go bump in the night and go viral, vs things that might actually be important.

It strikes me always that if the want was to create abject stupidity in populace, and we didn't have twitter, texting, instagram, social media, it would be invented to create the effect. I mean propaganda and viral communication forms is how you build hive mind. Thats the means in which control over minds occurs.

I think part of the reason for people either being misinformed or deciding for themselves if that the experts have been wrong so many times and doubled back on their original advice so often that people don’t trust them. How many people do you know that don’t trust the WHO or Tam?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think part of the reason for people either being misinformed or deciding for themselves if that the experts have been wrong so many times and doubled back on their original advice so often that people don’t trust them. How many people do you know that don’t trust the WHO or Tam?

With that much we are certainly in agreeance. But in the case of Tam she was media infected in the first case. For instance in buying the furor that signaling was more important than doing everything possible to fight the virus. The same social medium that effect us are impacting politicians of all stripes and thats a huge concern as politics is increasingly conducted online. I mean its disturbing actually, or should be, that many politicians see social media as an accurate reflection of constituency views.

But I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Duke74 and nabob

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Yeah but you're posting that in a predominately Edmonton board. I get it, its arrived in numbers for the first time in your area. But in comparison its off the charts here. I can't go to the store, anywhere without a safe assumption that somebody in that store has covid. Thats what the numbers mean here probability wise. Edmonton has 1500 confirmed active cases. In pure numbers that probably means closer to 10K real active cases in Edmonton region, and if HInshaws polling is right, around 11 % of those walking around doing their normal thing. So that there could be 1K Covid patients mobile in Edmonton going to tons of places spreading this..

The better news though is that far fewer deaths are resulting from the virus at this time in regions and countries that have had the virus for several months.
Fair enough. Was just saying it’s scary everywhere. But ya Edmonton and Winnipeg are in rough shape. It’s scary out there.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Pretty scary about 1,374 active cases??? The same goes to Edmonton. You really live in dreamworld and won't be ready for any unexpected consequences.
Ya this second wave is scary. Figured it would happen with places opening up and schools back. Granted, I heard Ontario is starting to shut down again and a lot of restaurants are going back to just take out and delivery.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I lived through the Elvis is still alive era. Which was easier back then without mass media.

Crazy how people kept seeing Elvis. Probably had nothing to do with there being entire groups dedicated to impersonating him? Or some of those impersonators actually made it their career.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

As long as it stays out of senior centers/homes the death rate should stay quite low. That's where other areas like New York, Ontario, Quebec etc ran into trouble. The virus got into where the old n weak are and caused the death out there to sky rocket.

Thing I'm getting upset with is how far behind Canada is in getting rapid testing and other technologies set up here so testing can be quicker and far more efficient. Only new thing we have going are temperature scans for fevers and those are not accurate at all for locating people who might be asymptomatic carriers.

Canada has to be the only country in the G7 or hell maybe even the G20 that hasn't been gung ho about bringing in rapid testing. It'll allow the government's to keep more up to date information with contact tracing, and the overall positive case numbers would be far more accurate and up to date as well.

Instead Ford, Trudeau and co have us all banging our heads against the using the same tactics used way back in April, while the rest of the world updates how they do things with the new information and the new developments in the scientific world. It'll help avoid blanket shut downs that are not a long term solution. It'll allow officials to be much more targeted in taking measures to limit the spread.

End rant, I've rambled enough

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As long as it stays out of senior centers/homes the death rate should stay quite low. That's where other areas like New York, Ontario, Quebec etc ran into trouble. The virus got into where the old n weak are and caused the death out there to sky rocket.

Thing I'm getting upset with is how far behind Canada is in getting rapid testing and other technologies set up here so testing can be quicker and far more efficient. Only new thing we have going are temperature scans for fevers and those are not accurate at all for locating people who might be asymptomatic carriers.

Canada has to be the only country in the G7 or hell maybe even the G20 that hasn't been gung ho about bringing in rapid testing. It'll allow the government's to keep more up to date information with contact tracing, and the overall positive case numbers would be far more accurate and up to date as well.

Instead Ford, Trudeau and co have us all banging our heads against the using the same tactics used way back in April, while the rest of the world updates how they do things with the new information and the new developments in the scientific world. It'll help avoid blanket shut downs that are not a long term solution. It'll allow officials to be much more targeted in taking measures to limit the spread.

End rant, I've rambled enough
I will give this to Ford... He has been pushing for rapid testing for quite a while. That is basically in the hands of Health Canada I believe.

There is a perhaps somewhat justifiable fear that a false positive will give people a false sense of security and license to do what ever. For me so long as the false positivity rate is say 20% or so the test has to be used with a proper purpose. This is a matter of education. Change the narrative. A negative test does not mean you do not have the virus now and you need to still take proper percautions to prevent infecting others. For me the real reason for using these tests despite the potential for false negatives is to find as many asymptomatic cases as possible, isolate them, and start the tracking process. If you could catch 80% of the asymptomatic cases in say a seniors home that would certainly help.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I periodically get a bit rattled by what seems to be an accelerating scope of societal conspiracy theories, fueled by relatively recent information technology. My brain then tends to ruminate about our continued survival on this planet. LOL!!!

I have yet to find any really good literature on the subject, anthropological, or otherwise. It is a fertile area for exploration - that is for sure. This article is as good as any for summing things up, and for me, lessening my anxiety slightly. :D

Why Your Brain Loves Conspiracy Theories

Reactions: TB12

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
I am not sure I will ever be able to change the mind of people that believe conspiracies but this is my attempt to allow for you to have an open mind.

It is a lost cause. People have already made up their minds; either you believe this virus occurred naturally or you believe this virus is being used to force us to live in a new world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad