Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
City of Edmonton to explore cutting management positions by at least five per cent to reduce 2021 tax increase | Edmonton Sun

"Mayor Don Iveson...“It’s important to be clear that the change we’re being forced to by circumstances, (Covid)...

According to the auditor’s report, one branch manager, six directors and 29 managers didn’t supervise any staff in 2020." End Quote

Forced to make changes due to Covid...lol

Company my wife works at is currently doing much the same. I'm not crazy about touching this subject because of the Politics involved with this particular article, but I'll leave it at this.

It's about f***ing time and it's too bad that it took a Gawdamned life destroying (for multiple reasons) pandemic for this city to come to a conclusion most taxpayers have known and understood for decades now. :facepalm:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Regardless of who the author is, I’ve enjoyed sharing it with people for years. Not a perfect analogy, but it makes its point. The person in your link is twisting the original analogy to fit their agenda. Which is fine, but they are missing the point of the original. Many high wealth people are quite flexible with their residency. A large % of our tax revenue is collected from this base. Be careful how far you want to push them is my thought on some of the proposed schemes to tax the rich more.
The issue is, the way the tax system is set up. You personally have probably paid more taxes some years than some millionaires have.

Raising taxes isn't necessary, but closing loopholes etc is necessary.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The issue is, the way the tax system is set up. You personally have probably paid more taxes some years than some millionaires have.

Which loopholes in particular would you like to see closed/amended?

Reactions: AM and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

i constantly hear this type of rhetoric but have yet to see any numbers that prove anything.

it often seems to come from a place of jealousy (not targeted towards you, just most people I know who say this kind of stuff. People who pay zero taxes and are leaches on the system).

Reactions: AM

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Company my wife works at is currently doing much the same. I'm not crazy about touching this subject because of the Politics involved with this particular article, but I'll leave it at this.

It's about f***ing time and it's too bad that it took a Gawdamned life destroying (for multiple reasons) pandemic for this city to come to a conclusion most taxpayers have known and understood for decades now. :facepalm:

Totally agree. For years, Iveson has been continuously whining he doesn't get enough money from the province. Now, he's forced to make decisions that should have been made years ago, and it's just sad that he blames it solely on a virus. And I'm not leaving the province or the Feds out of this either, because I'm sure they have the same top heavy admin that needs to be trimmed as well.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

“Some millionaires” especially all the millionaires who didn’t buy anything and lost money in the year.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by John Lu

Thread.
EiakzNGXcAAMedO.jpg

Eiak4R9XcAIKtsx.jpg

Eiak8uzXkAc-Ng7.jpg

Eiak_7GXcAAteGR.jpg

EialDWfXkAED3CH.jpg

EialNh2XkAAshcV.jpg

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A half-page spamming concerning some guys hero going on a Covid rant. I'd quote it but then it would fill the whole page.

I guess it wasn't fearful enough to put a NORMAL LINK. Have to supersize it. Bemusing.

Fear on, People. Fear on.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A half-page spamming concerning some guys hero going on a Covid rant. I'd quote it but then it would fill the whole page.

I guess it wasn't fearful enough to put a NORMAL LINK. Have to supersize it. Bemusing.

Fear on, People. Fear on.

If you’re referring to my post, it’s called a thread combiner, and it’s simply done as a courtesy so other posters can see all the relevant tweets without having to scroll thru. Author chose the size and font. He is a well known hockey reporter for TSN, so relevant for a hockey chat board. I guess I could have provided six separate links, if that would have been more convenient for you. My bad. And you do realize when you quote someone, your post only contains a snippet of the original post, not the whole post.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Totally agree. For years, Iveson has been continuously whining he doesn't get enough money from the province. Now, he's forced to make decisions that should have been made years ago, and it's just sad that he blames it solely on a virus. And I'm not leaving the province or the Feds out of this either, because I'm sure they have the same top heavy admin that needs to be trimmed as well.
Kenney came in trying to force people to make the tough decisions and he got roasted for it.

I.E. Healthcare. They've been very top heavy for years and when he forced them to look at their budget they decided it was a good idea to keep those top heavy positions.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kenney came in trying to force people to make the tough decisions and he got roasted for it.

I.E. Healthcare. They've been very top heavy for years and when he forced them to look at their budget they decided it was a good idea to keep those top heavy positions.
Yup, when you make tough decisions, you are never very popular, especially when it pushes people out of their comfort zone (educators, doctors, and union supervisors, etc). Really popular and easy to throw money around and expand the civil service (Notley, Trudeau), thinking you have an endless supply of money. Until you find out one day that a huge chunk of your revenues just go to pay off the interest on debt, and leave it for someone else (future generations) to do the dirty work and clean things up.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Yup, when you make tough decisions, you are never very popular, especially when it pushes people out of their comfort zone (educators, doctors, and union supervisors, etc). Really popular and easy to throw money around and expand the civil service (Notley, Trudeau), thinking you have an endless supply of money. Until you find out one day that a huge chunk of your revenues just go to pay off the interest on debt, and leave it for someone else (future generations) to do the dirty work and clean things up.
There would be more revenue if they didn't introduce corporate tax cuts. Corporate taxes in Alberta are now the lowest in Canada, and lower than the majority of states in the US.

How many jobs did that end up creating? Real tough decision that was.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There would be more revenue if they didn't introduce corporate tax cuts. Corporate taxes in Alberta are now the lowest in Canada, and lower than the majority of states in the US.

How many jobs did that end up creating? Real tough decision that was.
Unfortunately, COVID came along and disrupted a lot of good intentions. When it was instituted, no one could possibly have predicted a crippling pandemic. The lowering of the corp taxes will work eventually, but the pandemic has slowed everything down. It's along term game plan that should attract and retain new business.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad