OT: Coronavirus XX : Here Comes Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man good thing I didn't complain the other day. You'd guys be calling be Glenn Miller today.

My major complaint was just going to be "come on guys don't throw your mask on the ground soon as you leave the grocery store".

I don't get littering in general though, so maybe it's just me and Glenn.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Man good thing I didn't complain the other day. You'd guys be calling be Glenn Miller today.

My major complaint was just going to be "come on guys don't throw your mask on the ground soon as you leave the grocery store".

I don't get littering in general though, so maybe it's just me and Glenn.

As a home owner in this city, I don't like littering neither. But I dislike frivolous lawsuits that are totally irrelevant even more. Especially in a crisis where people are out of work, losing their businesses and homes, and struggling to make ends meet. It's pathetic and uncalled for IMO.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As a home owner in this city, I don't like littering neither. But I dislike frivolous lawsuits that are totally irrelevant even more. Especially in a crisis where people are out of work, losing their businesses and homes, and struggling to make ends meet. It's pathetic and uncalled for IMO.
Oh I agree. I just thought the lawsuit was going to be something even dumber than it was, so I had to read the article to find out

Reactions: Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Weird lawsuit. If anything when I first heard of the lawsuit I thought it involved the irresponsibility of the City rolling out the "come and get your you don't have to wear a mask excemption cards" and handing out as many as liked so you could distribute those.... that was a clusterf*** that could end up harming people, and contributing to spread in infection.

Man, that Hurricane combined with Covid-19 is going to cause some catastrophe. Moving tons of people, lots with Covid-19, or staying in place, lots with Covid-19. These are very challenging times down south.

Chin up though its not the first Category 4 hurricane and its not the first pandemic. Nor is it the first time NA has been hit very hard by either. 100yrs ago life was much, much worse. Just trying to offer up a bit of perspective for those that were expressing despair and anxiety in the past thread.

Good news is Covid 19 is going down around the world right now, markets going up, From hardship sprouts opportunity.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Good news is Covid 19 is going down around the world right now, markets going up, From hardship sprouts opportunity.
Markets are artificially inflated right now. We're seeing all time highs in many markets with a global pandemic, record unemployment, and no clear signals that things will be returning to normal any time soon. The markets are being supported by the Fed's willingness to buy bad debt, provide bailouts, and 0% interest rates that are forcing capital from bond markets towards equities.

Hell, look at Apple. Their market cap has doubled from $1T to $2T in 6 months without any new flagship or game changing products. Is that sustainable?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Markets are artificially inflated right now. We're seeing all time highs in many markets with a global pandemic, record unemployment, and no clear signals that things will be returning to normal any time soon. The markets are being supported by the Fed's willingness to buy bad debt, provide bailouts, and 0% interest rates that are forcing capital from bond markets towards equities.

Hell, look at Apple. Their market cap has doubled from $1T to $2T in 6 months without any new flagship or game changing products. Is that sustainable?

Its too complex a discussion for a hockey board. Myself, some sectors I'm in have done extremely well. Other sectors have suffered. Overall portfolio back to where it was peaking pre pandemic. Just as much the case that the markets were too elevated pre pandemic. Correction of some sort was going to occur.

Mostly in front street terms Restos and Bars will certainly suffer, and that industry is going down. But conversely retail big boxes have never been hotter. Overall retail spending has been very good, sure, sustained partly through govt covid related cheques.

Airlines will really suffer. But thats not all bad. Will encourage more domestic spending, travel, and far less spending around the world, and Canada loses money on net travel. Other modes, RV industry for instance is doing great. Industries geared to help people cocoon, isolate are seeing opportunity.

Health care industry obvious a boon right now.

Now in an obesity epidemic, which is really one of our biggest health care challenges, bigger than Covid-19, its not really all bad that a lot of restos and bars are going under, and that people are learning to shop for their own food now, cook their own food right now, and be more self reliant on food production now. For instance this has been the hottest year for gardening ever known. Gardening as an activity, and self food production exploding.

Due to Covid-19 theres also been more of a push for nationalist Industry, and buying Canadian, and this also ultimately good for the Canadian economy and keeping money here.

Not everything bad, and from hardship springs opportunity.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

When the Federal Reserve is pumping trillions into the markets that will happen.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
When the Federal Reserve is pumping trillions into the markets that will happen.
Yup, it's all a big house of cards at this point.

Its too complex a discussion for a hockey board. Myself, some sectors I'm in have done extremely well. Other sectors have suffered. Overall portfolio back to where it was peaking pre pandemic. Just as much the case that the markets were too elevated pre pandemic. Correction of some sort was going to occur.

Mostly in front street terms Restos and Bars will certainly suffer, and that industry is going down. But conversely retail big boxes have never been hotter. Overall retail spending has been very good, sure, sustained partly through govt covid related cheques.

Airlines will really suffer. But thats not all bad. Will encourage more domestic spending, travel, and far less spending around the world, and Canada loses money on net travel. Other modes, RV industry for instance is doing great. Industries geared to help people cocoon, isolate are seeing opportunity.

Health care industry obvious a boon right now.

Now in an obesity epidemic, which is really one of our biggest health care challenges, bigger than Covid-19, its not really all bad that a lot of restos and bars are going under, and that people are learning to shop for their own food now, cook their own food right now, and be more self reliant on food production now. For instance this has been the hottest year for gardening ever known. Gardening as an activity, and self food production exploding.

Due to Covid-19 theres also been more of a push for nationalist Industry, and buying Canadian, and this also ultimately good for the Canadian economy and keeping money here.

Not everything bad, and from hardship springs opportunity.
None of what you said supports the markets being at all time highs. Printing money, bailouts, 0% interest rates, buying bad debt.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

None of what you said supports the markets being at all time highs. Printing money, bailouts, 0% interest rates, buying bad debt.

Well, for sure I'm no economist here, I have limited my exposure, counsel others to do so, and as per usual the tacit advise is that any money that people can't afford to lose shouldn't be invested in more volatile sectors.

I mean the reality is that for decades now interest has been very low, and leveraging investment vs bonds, GIC's, nothing new there.

A lot of tech, health sectors seem to be doing very well right now. Retail spending up.

Yes I expect correction. Again, but I guess we'll see how some sectors doing better, some doing worse, impact the economy and markets going forward. Frankly I'd be more worried about the accumulation national debt right now than the market impacts. I think we'll be paying for all this largess for 25yrs.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Well, for sure I'm no economist here, I have limited my exposure, counsel others to do so, and as per usual the tacit advise is that any money that people can't afford to lose shouldn't be invested in more volatile sectors.
Fortunately, I deal with this stuff at work every day and get to see private daily analysis from the major banks. The economy now is not better than it was in December, yet we have reached all time highs in the US.

If you want to see a caricature of the situation that is surprisingly accurate, watch this video:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fortunately, I deal with this stuff at work every day and get to see private daily analysis from the major banks. The economy now is not better than it was in December, yet we have reached all time highs in the US.

If you want to see a caricature of the situation that is surprisingly accurate, watch this video:

heh my condolences.

i wouldn't want any part of that at the best of times and less during times of fallout.

I honestly don't comprehend economics, which should be obvious. But I sometimes wonder about how accurately anybody gauges the markets based on Economic Science.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

We'll pay for it with high inflation.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It’s absolute insanity what we are seeing, I think a lot of it has to do with new investors getting in after the crash and now people are getting fomo as markets keep rising. Unfortunately it’s a lot of dumb money out there just waiting to get murdered by the big fish.

After the Canadian election I basically liquidated my holdings moving much of my money into safer vehicles because even before the pandemic I felt we were heading into recession territory. When the crash happened I decided to try my hand at day trading because I felt there was just so much value wiped out that would come back so I tossed 20K into a self directed account to play around with. Needless to say I did very well and I’ve basically been sitting out almost almost all of August because I felt there was a second crash coming as government aid slows and loan deferrals end but obviously I was a little early. Now I’m looking at a margins account so I can start shorting. Long, I’m going to be big on energy and banks, they’ll never lose and it’s interesting to see many of the big banks selling assets such so they can buy back a bunch of their stock while it’s undervalued.

Look at Buffet just sitting on a ton of liquidity while everyone is frenzied. Like his old quote goes “be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful”

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Italy's second wave is still a bit uncertain, many new cases, but mostly younger people coming back from holidays (makes up like 50% of new cases).

Good news is even though numbers are the highest since May the people in ICUs remain stable. March to May we had thousands in ICUs, now we're stable at below a hundred for weeks.

Bad news is that many people don't give a damn. Latest trend among young adults is to take a bunch of asprine's and an ice cold bottle of water just before a temp test (tests for temperature are mandatory to get access to many of Italy's best beach/summer destinations as well most resturants). They don't care as long as they get their vacation time and into their favorite resturants...

Edit: I know my posts are mostly personal and about my experiences/situation. I hope that's not considered off-topic or anything.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Italy's second wave is still a bit uncertain, many new cases, but mostly younger people coming back from holidays (makes up like 50% of new cases).

Good news is even though numbers are the highest since May the people in ICUs remain stable. March to May we had thousands in ICUs, now we're stable at below a hundred for weeks.

Bad news is that many people don't give a damn. Latest trend among young adults is to take a bunch of asprine's and an ice cold bottle of water just before a temp test (tests for temperature are mandatory to get access to many of Italy's best beach/summer destinations as well most resturants). They don't care as long as they get their vacation time and into their favorite resturants...

Edit: I know my posts are mostly personal and about my experiences/situation. I hope that's not considered off-topic or anything.

Its great to get first hand accounts of what people are seeing/experiencing in different parts of the globe.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Its great to get first hand accounts of what people are seeing/experiencing in different parts of the globe.
Thanks, I appreciate it, and I agree. Always interesting to hear stories from NA (and occasionally other places)!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Always look forward to your posts LaGu. Nice to get the personal perspective from another part of the world. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad