OT: Coronavirus XX : Here Comes Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Kenney came in trying to force people to make the tough decisions and he got roasted for it.

I.E. Healthcare. They've been very top heavy for years and when he forced them to look at their budget they decided it was a good idea to keep those top heavy positions.

This is a false narrative. Have you ever read the publicly available financial reviews that AHS puts out yearly? The administrative costs of AHS is the lowest in the country or close to. The Ernst & Young review/report all but confirmed this too.

Annual Report & Consolidated Financial Statements | Alberta Health Services

Certainly elements of our health care system can be optimized, including administration, but if you were to literally lay off 90% of AHS administration it would move the needle barely 2.5%.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with COVID. Certainly it has cost our system a lot, but at the same time with services being reduced like surgeries and such I wonder how the numbers will come out in the end.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Very smart man but obviously needs to work on his public speaking skills.
In this instance it has a lot more to do with the fact that he's throwing out figures that most medical officials aren't. He's stating them as fact when they're clearly his opinion not backed by any tangible evidence. I'm not even dismissing a lot it, it's just that he's always come off as a guy who speaks his mind without excusing it as his opinion. There's another guy out there in the news that does this quite a bit.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If you’re referring to my post, it’s called a thread combiner, and it’s simply done as a courtesy so other posters can see all the relevant tweets without having to scroll thru. Author chose the size and font. He is a well known hockey reporter for TSN, so relevant for a hockey chat board. I guess I could have provided six separate links, if that would have been more convenient for you. My bad. And you do realize when you quote someone, your post only contains a snippet of the original post, not the whole post.
It's just really annoying to scroll past all of it if you don't want to read it.

Thanks for the reply.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The 3 seconds of scrolling is really that inconvenient, eh?

When it fills your whole screen with giant letters and you have to scroll, scroll, scroll to get past the longest quote I have ever seen here, then yes. It's rude. I'm really not surprised by your reaction though

I know there is a segment of individuals who wish they could detain people and force them to a conditioned Covid response, but some of us are not interested. I guess you see your only option as being to spam people with the biggest font, longest quote because then these idiots will have to read and listen. Right? lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately, COVID came along and disrupted a lot of good intentions. When it was instituted, no one could possibly have predicted a crippling pandemic. The lowering of the corp taxes will work eventually, but the pandemic has slowed everything down. It's along term game plan that should attract and retain new business.
Just wanted to say thank you for this post.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pandemic 'Heroes' Pay the Price as Hospitals Cut Registered Nurses to Balance Budgets

The tax base is quickly shrinking with the closing of so many private businesses. There are consequences to staying at home and not supporting small to medium private businesses in your area.

Sure, but some unintended benefits as well. A lot of people I know have been more frugal during pandemic. For a fair amount of people with investment portfolio, or with Cerb or whatever they've been able to bank money or actually increase self worth. For many that were prepared for a "rainy day" and this is what we are taught our whole lives, this hasn't been that hard and its increased worth and further investment opportunity.

Its also very much a case of large retail business doing better. For sure losing small caps and small business hurts. But like forest fires the same creates opportunities down the road for new growth business.

As I have often said Resto fast food businesses are really the worst thing to get into at anytime. Just terrible business choices. Poor margin, massive investment, massive work investment required, little profit recoup and huge risk of failure. In years, almost guaranteed failure. I mean if people would stop lining up to decide on the worst business choices.. A lot of those resto starts ups, almost all of them, go under within 5yrs. Pick something else.

Next, one segment of retail hurt the most is high end. I'm not crying that places like Holt Renfrew close down. If anything the pandemic has made many people a little wiser with their money and the hardship of experiencing a challenge will make most people stronger, more resilient, and maybe more pragmatic. Its what I hope for.

Reactions: Bobieque

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Sure, but some unintended benefits as well. A lot of people I know have been more frugal during pandemic. For a fair amount of people with investment portfolio, or with Cerb or whatever they've been able to bank money or actually increase self worth. For many that were prepared for a "rainy day" and this is what we are taught our whole lives, this hasn't been that hard and its increased worth and further investment opportunity.

Its also very much a case of large retail business doing better. For sure losing small caps and small business hurts. But like forest fires the same creates opportunities down the road for new growth business.

As I have often said Resto fast food businesses are really the worst thing to get into at anytime. Just terrible business choices. Poor margin, massive investment, massive work investment required, little profit recoup and huge risk of failure. In years, almost guaranteed failure. I mean if people would stop lining up to decide on the worst business choices.. A lot of those resto starts ups, almost all of them, go under within 5yrs. Pick something else.

Next, one segment of retail hurt the most is high end. I'm not crying that places like Holt Renfrew close down. If anything the pandemic has made many people a little wiser with their money and the hardship of experiencing a challenge will make most people stronger, more resilient, and maybe more pragmatic. Its what I hope for.

I think you are spot on with this. There has been a shift in the economy where some sections are going gangbusters, like "home improvement" stores and renovation companies. Several friends in residential trades that cannot keep up with the work as people are spending money on the house instead of travelling.

Also, in our area, local farm's and pick-your-own-fruit type places and local butchers cannot keep up the pace as more and more people are seeking them out. Several have reported (in person and in news articles) that while they have lost supplying restaurants product; their retail has exploded at a higher profit. Some have had to figure out online sales and home deliveries, but the market is definitely there and is quite large.

In a way it's a bit of a throwback to times where a family going to a restaurant was a rare event and cooking at home was a valued skill set and the norm. I know of three families (including ourselves) that are doing extensive canning this year, just because we are all way more into cooking since this thing started.

Will it be a permanent shift in the economy? Hard to say as things go back to what we are more used to, but I think there will be a lasting impact. Especially if people do not go on vacation's internationally as in the past. The money's going to go somewhere.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think you are spot on with this. There has been a shift in the economy where some sections are going gangbusters, like "home improvement" stores and renovation companies. Several friends in residential trades that cannot keep up with the work as people are spending money on the house instead of travelling.

Also, in our area, local farm's and pick-your-own-fruit type places and local butchers cannot keep up the pace as more and more people are seeking them out. Several have reported (in person and in news articles) that while they have lost supplying restaurants product; their retail has exploded at a higher profit. Some have had to figure out online sales and home deliveries, but the market is definitely there and is quite large.

In a way it's a bit of a throwback to times where a family going to a restaurant was a rare event and cooking at home was a valued skill set and the norm. I know of three families (including ourselves) that are doing extensive canning this year, just because we are all way more into cooking since this thing started.

Will it be a permanent shift in the economy? Hard to say as things go back to what we are more used to, but I think there will be a lasting impact. Especially if people do not go on vacation's internationally as in the past. The money's going to go somewhere.

Yep. Went to the hardware store yesterday, and it felt odd, because it was the first time in a couple months I've been because I got everything done earlier in the spring summer. All the renos, building, fixing. All done. Everybody else was the same. As much as it was frustrating lining up to get into a hardware store its friggen great. Heres tons of people home improving, building their home investment, improving it, and its all happening. Everywhere in neighborhoods people working on their homes improving their value. I mean its heartening seeing that and confirmation of how industrious we are.

In the garden sections gardening exploding. I mean twice as many people now estimated to be into gardening. Many for the first time. This is fantastic. This is all teaching people how to fish.

As you notice people also growing their culinary skills and thanks for your contributions in that btw.

We've becoming more savvy, more skilled, more hands on. Capability has increased during a pandemic. Struggle makes us stronger.

I see it too as throwback because I'm old enough to remember a working class family going out for dinner say once a month. We're living in much more frugal times suddenly and learning that skill too. I think its being required learning. Painful, yes, but anybody paying attention, in good health, comes out of this with more skills and awareness.

Good luck with the canning. Used to be into that. Will probably be again at some point. Thing is though electricity is so cheap here and freezers so efficient that we just run two freezers for our garden produce now and much of the stuff is flash frozen. So easy, and easier ultimately than canning. That said you can really create some unique products canning, but we got tired of pickling and the salt content etc. heh, its just like when I got into making beer and wine, just too much of a good thing on the shelf adds to the waist line.

Reactions: Bobieque

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The government needs to start putting actions to their words. People are completely tuning them out. They've been talking about the second wave being here and how it can get completely out of control by end of october for some time now. Time to start acting instead of just threatening lockdowns or better enforcement... people just aren't caring anymore and continue with large gatherings and expanding their contacts. It's like the parent who threatens taking away the kid's xbox over and over for months and never acting upon it. Not sure why they keep waiting... should they not have learned from earlier in the year when they took too long to take measures like shut down the border? Other countries have learned and are acting quickly, getting ahead of the curve.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The government needs to start putting actions to their words. People are completely tuning them out. They've been talking about the second wave being here and how it can get completely out of control by end of october for some time now. Time to start acting instead of just threatening lockdowns or better enforcement... people just aren't caring anymore and continue with large gatherings and expanding their contacts. It's like the parent who threatens taking away the kid's xbox over and over for months and never acting upon it. Not sure why they keep waiting... should they not have learned from earlier in the year when they took too long to take measures like shut down the border? Other countries have learned and are acting quickly, getting ahead of the curve.
because hospitalizations aren't raising significantly..pretty simple really

Reactions: oilers'72

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
because hospitalizations aren't raising significantly..pretty simple really

No, I think they intend to lock things down eventually regardless of hospitalization numbers. I think the issue is our govt is always vey deliberate when it comes to actions. Indecisive. I think most businesses, including restaurants, would be much safer to have open if there weren't numbskulls around who go to large gatherings/expand their contacts and completely ignore safety protocols. But now these munsons are out and about going to restaurants or even working at restaurants and infecting other patrons.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No, I think they intend to lock things down eventually regardless of hospitalization numbers.
why?
I think the issue is our govt is always vey deliberate when it comes to actions. Indecisive. I think most businesses, including restaurants, would be much safer to have open if there weren't numbskulls around who go to large gatherings/expand their contacts and completely ignore safety protocols. But now these munsons are out and about going to restaurants or even working at restaurants and infecting other patrons.
are you even going to restaurants? how do you this is the major reason for rising cases?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, I think they intend to lock things down eventually regardless of hospitalization numbers. I think the issue is our govt is always vey deliberate when it comes to actions. Indecisive. I think most businesses, including restaurants, would be much safer to have open if there weren't numbskulls around who go to large gatherings/expand their contacts and completely ignore safety protocols. But now these munsons are out and about going to restaurants or even working at restaurants and infecting other patrons.

in fairness Alberta as a province is doing exceedingly well. Even with the school openings there aren't high numbers of new cases. Only in Edmonton are their high instances of new cases. To wit their were 150 new cases in the province yesterday. Disgustingly, 100 of those were in Edmonton.

Edmonton is failing this. Everywhere else in the province efforts are succeeding to limit the virus. Worse, it has nothing to do with govt intervention. Its people assuming they know better that go onto to contravene recommendations and have large gatherings, parties, etc.

Govt can't save us from ourselves. People have to make better choices. Calgary region had that wake up call earlier and maybe people got more serious, proactive, as a result. Its tragic that in Edmonton we need our own tragedies here before some people will start taking the pandemic seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
why?

are you even going to restaurants? how do you this is the sole reason for rising cases?

Why? Because you get ahead of the danger. Be proactive rather than wait and then down the road go, "o s***, we saw this coming but we didn't act quick enough to stop this and now we have a s*** storm on our hands". The numbers can explode out of control very quickly once we hit that exponential threshold. The experts are already forecasting this. Why must we wait til the s*** hits the fan before acting? 50 hospitalizations can quickly grow to 500 if we ignore the signs. Then we'll be in trouble.

It's not the sole reason but it's likely a significant one. Many of those "unknown" community transmissions. No, I'm definitely not going to restos. Unfortunately with the way things are now with people not giving a s***, it's a bad idea to sit down at a restaurant to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad