OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
For real?

I didn't think there was a cashier in the world making that much money. That's crazy high money for a job like that and people are justifying these workers going on strike during a pandemic where unemployment is at record high levels? Pfft
We were way overpaid for what we did. Not complaining though, because it was one of the best entry level part time jobs out there.

Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We were way overpaid for what we did. Not complaining though, because it was one of the best entry level part time jobs out there.

That's just crazy. Even as a paralegal in a large New York firm, I was barely making more than that at entry level although overtime more than made up for that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Safeway dropped off the Earth here in Canada. Due to the union.

Any remaining stores are figuratively maintaining the Safeways banner while actually being Sobeys. All were taken over by Sobeys, afairc in 2013. The chain was already nothing at that point and had closed the overwhelming majority of its stores in Alberta anyway.

For more than a decade here neighborhoods had to deal with closed, decrepit abandoned Safeway locations littering the landscape. With Safeway refusing to sell those or allow other retail or grocery tenants to move in. For around 15yrs the Edmonton association with Safeway was all those closed, barred up eyesore stores. It even became an issue with the City as when they wanted to improve areas, have better streets, retail options, Safeway balked and maintained the close storefronts in areas trying to revitilize. Safeway has mostly a bad name here. Bad actor retailer. Consumers here gladly went in any other direction.

Having a personal working history there, it's hard to argue that statement, as they certainly contributed to the ultimate demise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Would you still feel overpaid during a pandemic?

If anything they should thank their lucky stars that they make that much during a pandemic while other people are suffering barely able to make ends meet. The pandemic should shine a brighter light on how lucky they are to not just be employed but to be paid very handsomely for the type of job they do.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Would you still feel overpaid during a pandemic?
If I was making $55k a year being a "head" cashier at a grocery store, absolutely. When Covid was in full swing absolutely hazard pay for it. But now that things are opening back up slowly and getting back to normal absolutely overpaid.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thanks for replying. I agree that indoor gatherings are more risky. But a lot of the protests, riots, looting, involved indoors as well. Some of them involved tear gas. A lot of them involved personal contacts, house parties , stores, etc. For a lot of the youth involved they were the first nights out in quite awhile. A lot of them reportedly getting smashed, as well as smashing.

Its trite for the media, or supporters to say 15k-100K demonstrators getting together and meeting up would "all be fine". It was disingenuous. It was politically motivated to say that.

But nowhere was there more stretching of truth then what took place in the Seattle "Summer of love" I mean I want to laugh and cry at the same time. ;)

I do agree that politicians and media to varying degrees have been hesitant to point at finger at protests. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons for that. Like, being afraid of looking like you are against the message of the protests obviously. That could turn on you in many ways, some of which that could actually encourage more protests coming your way.

Those indoor aspects of the protests like looting, I do think those things have been condemned pretty consistently. I don't meant to include that kind of stuff when commenting on the protests. I actually have a hard time talking about the protests, I don't really have a stake in it. But I can understand that maybe there are groups of people that actually, from a lifetime of experience and hundreds of years of history, could fear something more than COVID-19 and can't pass up a shot to influence change that could have a positive impact for generations. Maybe that doesn't all rise to the level of urgency that those people with guns storming government buildings angry that they couldn't get haircuts, who am I to say, but, at the least most of it is happening outdoors and many are wearing masks :)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If I was making $55k a year being a "head" cashier at a grocery store, absolutely. When Covid was in full swing absolutely hazard pay for it. But now that things are opening back up slowly and getting back to normal absolutely overpaid.

Interesting. Maybe a large number of these folks are making much less than 55k a year. And really, very little has changed with the virus itself other than perception. I guess it's hard to say how one might feel unless they are currently doing it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If anything they should thank their lucky stars that they make that much during a pandemic while other people are suffering barely able to make ends meet. The pandemic should shine a brighter light on how lucky they are to not just be employed but to be paid very handsomely for the type of job they do.

I would like to see actual salary data to see how many of these people are being paid so well. Not sure if it exists for public view. I am quite uncomfortable with the idea that anyone working just only be happy with having a job, and that any view that factors in dealing with the public in the midst of a pandemic isn't valid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting. Maybe a large number of these folks are making much less than 55k a year. And really, very little has changed with the virus itself other than perception. I guess it's hard to say how one might feel unless they are currently doing it.
I mean most are making a lot less than that right now but Safeway is definitely the best paid grocery chain.

My point was early in Covid hazard pay made sense. There was a lot more stores had to do, people were ravenous and crazy and social distancing measures were much more strict. Their was a ton of fear of the virus and fear of the crazy customers. It was also in a State of Emergency.

That's been lifted, people aren't freaking out trying to buy 20 packs of toilet paper every second. Social distancing restrictions have been eased and at least in grocery stores the only huge change is limited amount of people in the stores, and arrows.

Their jobs are no longer harder than normal due to covid, their chances of getting it are lower as well. With most businesses opening up and limited hazard pay no longer makes sense.

In places like Florida or Arizona where the virus is our of control, absolutely. But up here in Canada? It's no longer necessary.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I mean most are making a lot less than that right now but Safeway is definitely the best paid grocery chain.

My point was early in Covid hazard pay made sense. There was a lot more stores had to do, people were ravenous and crazy and social distancing measures were much more strict. Their was a ton of fear of the virus and fear of the crazy customers. It was also in a State of Emergency.

That's been lifted, people aren't freaking out trying to buy 20 packs of toilet paper every second. Social distancing restrictions have been eased and at least in grocery stores the only huge change is limited amount of people in the stores, and arrows.

Their jobs are no longer harder than normal due to covid, their chances of getting it are lower as well. With most businesses opening up and limited hazard pay no longer makes sense.

In places like Florida or Arizona where the virus is our of control, absolutely. But up here in Canada? It's no longer necessary.

I didn't think the hazard pay was to do with it being "harder" but with it being more "hazardous" than during normal time but perhaps that was my misunderstanding?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I didn't think the hazard pay was to do with it being "harder" but with it being more "hazardous" than during normal time but perhaps that was my misunderstanding?
I mean it's a bit of both. The hazard was Covid and the general public and the stress from all the added responsibilities to keep themselves and the general public safe. As that winds back, especially in places that numbers are doing very well, it absolutely makes sense for hazard pay to go away.

I definitely agreed with hazard pay, and definitely agree with keeping it in regions where Covid is still a major threat but in places where it winds down? Come on.

For example Manitoba. No one there needs hazard pay.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would like to see actual salary data to see how many of these people are being paid so well. Not sure if it exists for public view. I am quite uncomfortable with the idea that anyone working just only be happy with having a job, and that any view that factors in dealing with the public in the midst of a pandemic isn't valid.

If they are vastly underpaid (although that's subjective I suppose) or if their working conditions are so horrendous that it's too dangerous to work (I've never been to a Safeway so maybe somebody else can assess this better) then I can understand it to an extent but in general, it just seems like really bad timing and distasteful quite frankly to think about going on strike during a time when so many are losing jobs so yes, they should be happy to have a job at this point. I'm sure many unemployed would switch positions with them in the blink of an eye. A little perspective perhaps?

Also, lets be honest, while I'm sure their jobs are difficult during these times there are other "front line" workers that are going through much more harrowing experiences during these times.

In any event, just my opinion. I respect it if you feel differently.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If they are vastly underpaid (although that's subjective I suppose) or if their working conditions are so horrendous that it's too dangerous to work (I've never been to a Safeway so maybe somebody else can assess this better) then I can understand it to an extent but in general, it just seems like really bad timing and distasteful quite frankly to think about going on strike during a time when so many are losing jobs so yes, they should be happy to have a job at this point. I'm sure many unemployed would switch positions with them in the blink of an eye.

Also, lets be honest, while I'm sure their jobs are difficult during these times there are other "front line" workers that are going through much more harrowing experiences during these times.

Yep. I can understand being upset with losing hazard pay cause losing money sucks. But going on strike when employee rates are 20-25% in lots of places when you lose a hazard pay increase is in bad taste. If Covid was still going hard in Canada than sure but it's not.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I mean it's a bit of both. The hazard was Covid and the general public and the stress from all the added responsibilities to keep themselves and the general public safe. As that winds back, especially in places that numbers are doing very well, it absolutely makes sense for hazard pay to go away.

I definitely agreed with hazard pay, and definitely agree with keeping it in regions where Covid is still a major threat but in places where it winds down? Come on.

For example Manitoba. No one there needs hazard pay.

I can appreciate this view. Not sure I agree, because if anything, the lacksadasical attitude of people may make it even more hazardous. But, can see why you might think that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If they are vastly underpaid (although that's subjective I suppose) or if their working conditions are so horrendous that it's too dangerous to work (I've never been to a Safeway so maybe somebody else can assess this better) then I can understand it to an extent but in general, it just seems like really bad timing and distasteful quite frankly to think about going on strike during a time when so many are losing jobs so yes, they should be happy to have a job at this point. I'm sure many unemployed would switch positions with them in the blink of an eye. A little perspective perhaps?

It never feels like the "best" time to go on strike from what I can see. I guess I find it uncomfortable how people assume this is just a money grab on the one hand, while for months we see signs up thanking our grocery worker etc for doing their job day in and day out during a pandemic. It's just really odd to me. From what I can tell, very little has changed with the actual virus. It's still infecting people the same way, and people are still coming in all of the time to buy groceries, and these front line folks don't have the option of working from home. I guess if one believes that somehow they are less at risk now, then there is an argument to be made that hazrad pay could be decreased, but at this point I almost see the opposite.

Thanks for the reply though.

Much better than "Safeway sucks and they all make too much money! Buggers should be thankful for a job!"

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can appreciate this view. Not sure I agree, because if anything, the lacksadasical attitude of people may make it even more hazardous. But, can see why you might think that.
Cases in Canada seem relatively under control. All the random jumps seem to be from restaurants or friendly gatherings. Whatever grocery stores are doing are protecting their employees. If cases start going up up up again than absolutely reinstate it.

At the end of the day they are working in a grocery store doing a relatively stress free job, protected by plexiglass and PPE, lots of places are getting people to bag their own groceries too, and they have been able to keep their job, often getting more hours and hazard pay for a few months.

Also strikes are there to get people on your side to pressure companies into giving in. You think that anyone's going to back Safeway employees for striking when most people are still stressed to know where their next paycheque is coming from?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Cases in Canada seem relatively under control. All the random jumps seem to be from restaurants or friendly gatherings. Whatever grocery stores are doing are protecting their employees. If cases start going up up up again than absolutely reinstate it.

At the end of the day they are working in a grocery store doing a relatively stress free job, protected by plexiglass and PPE, lots of places are getting people to bag their own groceries too, and they have been able to keep their job, often getting more hours and hazard pay for a few months.

Also strikes are there to get people on your side to pressure companies into giving in. You think that anyone's going to back Safeway employees for striking when most people are still stressed to know where their next paycheque is coming from?

I don't fully agree, but I see your point. Thanks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty wild. Texas mandating masks statewide for people out in public.

Speaking of that. I'm surprised we haven't done this here, at least with public transit. We seem so worried about ridership dropping. I think people simply don't feel safe still using public transit, and a part of that is not knowing how much effort other riders are putting into stopping spread. I have been driving my wife to/from the university for her work since this all started, and get the great pleasure if sitting around to watch trains go by before I can turn every day to get to the clinic building. Still see lots of people without masks on the LRT going by.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks for replying. I agree that indoor gatherings are more risky. But a lot of the protests, riots, looting, involved indoors as well. Some of them involved tear gas. A lot of them involved personal contacts, house parties , stores, etc. For a lot of the youth involved they were the first nights out in quite awhile. A lot of them reportedly getting smashed, as well as smashing.

Its trite for the media, or supporters to say 15k-100K demonstrators getting together and meeting up would "all be fine". It was disingenuous. It was politically motivated to say that.

But nowhere was there more stretching of truth then what took place in the Seattle "Summer of love" I mean I want to laugh and cry at the same time. ;)
For the most part though all of this has shown that outdoor gatherings, with mass wearing of masks, even when crowded together seems to be fine for keeping Covid numbers down. Mass gatherings outside, without masks send to still spread the virus quite well

Outdoors > Indoors
Masks > No masks
Masks outdoors is overall safest...well other than staying in your house

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty wild. Texas mandating masks statewide for people out in public.

Speaking of that. I'm surprised we haven't done this here, at least with public transit. We seem so worried about ridership dropping. I think people simply don't feel safe still using public transit, and a part of that is not knowing how much effort other riders are putting into stopping spread.
I think the city probably sees all the hysteria down south about how wearing a mask is literally tyranny and stomping on rights, so they are hoping people here are just smart and wear them. All as long as the cases stay low like they are now.

Reactions: oobga

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It never feels like the "best" time to go on strike from what I can see. I guess I find it uncomfortable how people assume this is just a money grab on the one hand, while for months we see signs up thanking our grocery worker etc for doing their job day in and day out during a pandemic. It's just really odd to me. From what I can tell, very little has changed with the actual virus. It's still infecting people the same way, and people are still coming in all of the time to buy groceries, and these front line folks don't have the option of working from home. I guess if one believes that somehow they are less at risk now, then there is an argument to be made that hazrad pay could be decreased, but at this point I almost see the opposite.

Thanks for the reply though.

Much better than "Safeway sucks and they all make too much money! Buggers should be thankful for a job!"

When it boils down to it, they're just doing their job just as they were before the pandemic. They have the option of quitting in which case, I'm sure there would be a hoard of unemployed folks lined up to get much needed paychecks.
Also, I don't see a cashier as some kind of live saving job where they are extending themselves in the trenches dealing with sickness every day and literally putting their life on the line like some other front line workers are.

I'm sure it's uncomfortable for them and I get that there's a risk factor but quibbling about money at a time like this (especially if they are as well paid as some of the posters here say they are) just seems wrong to me. If they were working in some kind of sweatshop then sure but they seem far better off than that.

Oh and those buggers should be thankful for a job ;)

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
If Fauci only wears his mask when the cameras are rolling, what does that tell you about his true opinion regarding them? Don't forget how often he has changed his public opinion about masks.

Reactions: harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad