OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Totally agree. It's a bit shocking Hinshaw isn't doing something to curb this. Especially since, during yesterday's media avail, she said her and the province are very concerned about the rise in numbers recently and concerned people are starting to become to lax and drowning out the message or getting tired of the message about social distancing, washing hands, masks etc.

I cannot see how this will not lead to a significant jump in cases. Thousands of people hooting, hollering, chanting for hours in dozens of bars across town, not wearing masks. And you know there will be enough less than intelligent folks out here that will partake and fill all those bars up.

It's a bit of a slap in the face of those who have died and for all of us still trying to do our best to stop the spread and avoid infection.

Ya, they highly discourage choirs and singing in churches yet allow a few hundred fanatic possibly drunk fans chant and cheer, likely high fiving each other (between different groups) in places likely more cramped than your local church. And to boot people will be shoveling food (some finger foods) and drinks into their mouths through their time there.

I think the way to look at it is theres about 3-4 times as many community infections out there as there were before.

Theres probably about 10X as many untraced infections as there were before. These are concerns.

Alberta prior, had Covid infections primarily in meat packing plants, nursing homes, old age homes and some hospitals. Now its getting them all over the community. Thats when Covid-19 tends to turn into a bomb going off.

it took months, but now this is firmly in community, and spreading in community. Meaning it is far less contained now than it ever was.

Tragically Alberta is now the only province having such a per capita problem with daily new cases and community spread.

We know what Alberta communities are like as well when it comes to NHL playoff hockey. All bets are off.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Strange barometer of concern. 3% rate of infection would be shutter your doors and windows like its NY.

4% would be weld them shut like Wuhan. ;)

5% of general pop being infected would be an enormous issue that overwhelm all our capacity to deal with this pandemic.

Really just hitting 2% positives out of general pop would overwhelm our health care resources here.

There are probably tons of untested people who are carrying it so if every single person was tested, I bet that you'd be shocked at how many people actually have it especially in the more populous locations.

It just so happens that lots of asymptomatic people aren't getting tested because they have no need to get tested. The contagious nature of this virus is astronomical so I have a feeling that it has affected a lot more of the population than people would like to think. Hell, any one of us on HFOil could have had it for all we know. That's what make it so unpredictable, the large amount of mild to asymptomatic cases which is good or bad depending on perspective perhaps good and bad.

Another thing to consider is people who tested negative but might have been positive at some point prior but it passed through the system by the time they got tested so even some of those negatives might have been positives at one point. I bet this might have been the case with some athletes for example.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There are probably tons of untested people who are carrying it so if every single person was tested, I bet that you'd be shocked at how many people actually have it especially in the more populous locations.

It just so happens that lots of asymptomatic people aren't getting tested because they have no need to get tested. The contagious nature of this virus is astronomical so I have a feeling that it has affected a lot more of the population than people would like to think. Hell, any one of us on HFOil could have had it for all we know. That's what make it so unpredictable, the large amount of mild to asymptomatic cases which is good or bad depending on perspective.
I will be very curious once those antibodies tests become more available how many people test positive for having Covid in the past.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As much as someone can. But when the isle isn’t 6 feet wide more like 4 feet and people are passing eachother, or when people stop in the middle of the isle to talk and ask questions about a product. It can be hard to socially distance properly.

The worst is when you’re in the grocery store and can clearly see the arrows pointing in one direction and people blatantly refuse to follow them, it can be a little frustrating. Especially when you have family members who are immunocompromised or have pre existing conditions. As I’m sure lots of members on here have.
I have to admit, I am guilty as charged for not following the many arrows in stores. Probably too busy trying to look for what I'm after and keeping out of the way of anyone, but I am respectful of others. To me, that's more important than concentrating on some directional arrows. And if people are compromised, they definitely should be wearing masks to protect themselves when out and about, and if bad enough, they shouldn't even be out in public, and have others do those tasks for them.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't know... this seems like a bad bad idea.... 300 people in MKT, cheering and whooping it up, creating aerosols in an enclosed restaurant for several hours? Prepare for an even bigger bump in numbers I guess. At this point i'm almost preparing for a re-shutdown (rec centers, rinks, some non-essential facilities etc) come fall/winter.

Geez, what can possibly go wrong with this.....:laugh: This won't end well.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think the way to look at it is theres about 3-4 times as many community infections out there as there were before.

Theres probably about 10X as many untraced infections as there were before. These are concerns.

Alberta prior, had Covid infections primarily in meat packing plants, nursing homes, old age homes and some hospitals. Now its getting them all over the community. Thats when Covid-19 tends to turn into a bomb going off.

it took months, but now this is firmly in community, and spreading in community. Meaning it is far less contained now than it ever was.

Tragically Alberta is now the only province having such a per capita problem with daily new cases and community spread.

We know what Alberta communities are like as well when it comes to NHL playoff hockey. All bets are off.

Absolutely. It's definitely more dicey out there when the infections are untraced and that the virus is more insidiously spreading around more under a cloak in the community. I need to get in to see my phsio and chiro but I just don't feel safe about hanging around someone for potentially 45 mins in close contact. Especially since i have no idea who he or she has been in contact with seeing other patients.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I will be very curious once those antibodies tests become more available how many people test positive for having Covid in the past.

At this point maybe the best case scenario is that this virus is way way more contagious than they thought and that 90% of the entire population has already been infected and that the vast majority did not even feel much of anything to even think of going to get tested and have no lingering or future effects. Probably a pipe dream though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My family made the decision a while ago to not go to the states for quite some time. I just can't support a country like that anymore, its just a cluster-F in almost every way imaginable. I'll spend my vacation money supporting ski resorts in Canada, or trips to the maritimes, or BC, or up north, or a million other places you can go in Canada that are beautiful. I love a lot of people in the states, and have a bunch of friends down there, but I just can't support the regime anymore.
Wait until it's the 40th consecutive day of Minus 20 degree temps here in the middle of February after winter started the middle of October, and tell me that...;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My family made the decision a while ago to not go to the states for quite some time. I just can't support a country like that anymore, its just a cluster-F in almost every way imaginable. I'll spend my vacation money supporting ski resorts in Canada, or trips to the maritimes, or BC, or up north, or a million other places you can go in Canada that are beautiful. I love a lot of people in the states, and have a bunch of friends down there, but I just can't support the regime anymore.
My biggest issue is it's not worth it dollar wise to stay in Canada. I do try spend more of my time off in Canada, but flights to the states are usually cheaper than staying in Canada and hotels/food/booze is cheaper in the states.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Wait until it's the 40th consecutive day of Minus 20 degree temps here in the middle of February after winter started the middle of October, and tell me that...;)

I prefer learning to bundle up in -40 weather to do outdoors activities to covid19. Just me though. To each their own!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Everybody but the govt saw this coming.

Didn't know that people get kicked off the 2k/month CERB by making anything over 1k/month. That's just stupid, and makes this decision pretty obvious for people that fall in taht range, or even a tiny bit over 2k/month.

It does sound like employers can rat people out that are refusing to work and it could get their CERB cut off. Probably not a great way to get someone to come back and work for you though :) I imagine that employee/employer relationship would be done. Or at worse the ex-employee comes by with some gasoline and a match.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't know that people get kicked off the 2k/month CERB by making anything over 1k/month. That's just stupid, and makes this decision pretty obvious for people that fall in taht range, or even a tiny bit over 2k/month.

It does sound like employers can rat people out that are refusing to work and it could get their CERB cut off. Probably not a great way to get someone to come back and work for you though :) I imagine that employee/employer relationship would be done. Or at worse the ex-employee comes by with some gasoline and a match.
I know a few bars that were having issues with their servers doing this.

I asked the managers are they really that good of employees if they don't want to come back and receive tips. Essentially the answers always were they are glad that they don't want to come back.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I know a few bars that were having issues with their servers doing this.

I asked the managers are they really that good of employees if they don't want to come back and receive tips. Essentially the answers always were they are glad that they don't want to come back.
Thats a shitty employee response in general, but I mean they have all the risk in these reopenings.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I have only eaten at a restaurant a handful of times since the re-opening. Twice at Boston Pizza (Windemere and Westmount). The bars were empty both times. One time was just me and my friend. The other time there were four other customers in the bar beside me and my friend.

To abide by the rules it felt like they had between a third and a quarter as many tables as they normally have. In both cases the bars would have been safe at 'full' occupancy. As long as they only allowed in people who were sitting at tables it would be as safe as possible while open.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Cerb never should have happened should have been CEWS the whole time.

Maybe in a fantasy world where every employee gets paid a fixed wage and every business could eat 25% of the wages while not operating.

A huge number of employees were laid off and would have been laid off regardless. All three parties agreed that CERB needed to happen, at least at the start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino