OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Even some NASCAR fans, wear masks..

PIcNPTA.jpg

Hopefully he has a muffler after his exhaust manifold.

Reactions: McBeastMode

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It only takes 1 turd to ruin the punch bowl. Sadly a handful of assholes like those that you encountered give a bad name for many others that arent like that. What part of Portugal did you go to?

Basically Lisbon then north to Porta and finally a big loop back to the Capital. Amazing trip but wow people just have so little respect for those who are just trying to do a job.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Basically Lisbon North to Porta and then a big loop back to the Capital. Amazing trip but wow people just have so little respect for those who are just trying to do a job.

Tourists here will literally block the road while trying to figure out where to go instead of pulling off. Dont even get me started on the asshole bicyclists that have no courtesy whatsoever.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You know, I am not a big Trump fan but I think your posts point to the fact that we can't blame him for everything that has happened with the virus.

Sure, he's done a poor job in terms of mitigating the spread of the virus but I can't believe the pictures of beaches/bars/dance halls etc. that we are seeing on CNN. I would like to ask Don Lemon if everyone in those pictures is a Republican.

No matter who leads the country and no matter what type of common sense that person(s) has, where is personal responsibility?

Like JFK said-- "ask not what your country can do for you.........."

I think this is an oddly unique situation though. I would bet that people that despise Trump are far far more likely to social distance and respect the virus. Trump IMO has the ear of a huge amount of people that will take this virus as seriously as he says they should, and...he didn't take it seriously at all. He also has many governors on his corner that will follow his lead. I think that complete lack of leadership was a very big deal for the USA's ability to contain the spread of this virus.

At least 4T in debt coming up because of a half-arsed lock down that was never taken seriously by him and many leaders in the country and all they got for it is the virus raging out of control worse than it was at the start.

Reactions: Whyme

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think this is an oddly unique situation though. I would bet that people that despise Trump are far far more likely to social distance and respect the virus. Trump IMO has the ear of a huge amount of people that will take this virus as seriously as he says they should, and...he didn't take it seriously at all. He also has many governors on his corner that will follow his lead. I think that complete lack of leadership was a very big deal for the USA's ability to contain the spread of this virus.

At least 4T in debt coming up because of a half-arsed lock down that was never taken seriously by him and many leaders in the country and all they got for it is the virus raging out of control worse than it was at the start.

But the point again speaks to the fact that if you are always looking to politicians as a moral example of how to act then be they Democrat or be they Republican, you are in some serious trouble.

The leadership at the municipal level- especially the big cities like Chicago, New York, etc. is solidly Democrat. They also had some influence here?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
But the point again speaks to the fact that if you are always looking to politicians as a moral example of how to act then be they Democrat or be they Republican, you are in some serious trouble.

The leadership at the municipal level- especially the big cities like Chicago, New York, etc. is solidly Democrat. They also had some influence here?

The need for leaders to set an example will always be there though, especially in a situation where something is affecting your whole population and you need to get as many people in your country as possible to buy into a plan. State and municipal leaders play a role for sure, but it's an uphill battle if they want to be in contrast with the guy at the top, especially in the hyper-partisan times we live in.

Guess you can say it sucks to need leaders to teach people common sense, but it's always been like that. And there may not be a worse time than now to have your top leader being someone only concerned with the economic numbers needed for the next election and an pathological need to never admit he was wrong about anything. Even worse than not being willing to encourage common sense is actively giving excuses to people to defy common sense.

Side note, the WH is officially turning on Fauci because he's been contradicting Trump too much. Official statement claiming he can't be trusted because he was wrong about too many things early in the pandemic, so basically you can't take his word over dear leaders.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The need for leaders to set an example will always be there though, especially in a situation where something is affecting your whole population and you need to get as many people in your country as possible to buy into a plan. State and municipal leaders play a role for sure, but it's an uphill battle if they want to be in contrast with the guy at the top, especially in the hyper-partisan times we live in. Guess you can say it sucks to need leaders to teach people common sense, but it's always been like that. And there may not be a worse time than now to have your top leader being someone only concerned with the economic numbers needed for the next election and an pathological need to never admit he was wrong about anything. Side note, the WH is officially turning on Fauci because he's been contradicting Trump too much. Official statement claiming he can't be trusted because he was wrong about too many things early in the pandemic, so basically you can't take his word over dear leaders.

Can't disagree with your logic but the "blame Trump" thing is getting old.

I don't know if you are American but here are some of my observations on the 2016 election that brought Trump to power.

-50% of Americans didn't bother to vote, some of them no doubt wondering how a country of 330M people can't find 2 better candidates than the duo of Trump and Clinton.

-Of those who voted, about half said that they didn't want "Crooked Hillary" or "Bedroom Bill" back in the Whitehouse. I guess when Maxwell starts to sing we'll get more clarification on that.

-Many people who voted for Trump (he lost the popular vote) knew what his many shortcomings were but said "let's go for something different this time and stay away from career politicians." Well, that's what they got, a glorified real estate agent (twice declaring bankruptcy) who true to his reputation knew nothing about government operations and nothing about compromise.

Now the country bemoans the fact that in virtually all situations (in the last 4 years) that there is really no political leadership at the top. Is anybody surprised? Got what you wished for?

I am looking forward to a change in November but Joe Biden does not look like a well man to me. Chances are 50/50 that Harris will end up as President. American politics are always interesting, I'll say that.

Well, just packing up for holidays so that's my last post for a while. Enjoy some summer weather gentlemen.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I don't know if you are American but here are some of my observations on the 2016 election that brought Trump to power.

-50% of Americans didn't bother to vote, some of them no doubt wondering how a country of 330M people can't find 2 better candidates than the duo of Trump and Clinton.

-Of those who voted, about half said that they didn't want "Crooked Hillary" or "Bedroom Bill" back in the Whitehouse. I guess when Maxwell starts to sing we'll get more clarification on that.

-Many people who voted for Trump (he lost the popular vote) knew what his many shortcomings were but said "let's go for something different this time and stay away from career politicians." Well, that's what they got, a glorified real estate agent (twice declaring bankruptcy) who true to his reputation knew nothing about government operations and nothing about compromise.

Now the country bemoans the fact that in virtually all situations (in the last 4 years) that there is really no political leadership at the top. Is anybody surprised? Got what you wished for?

I am looking forward to a change in November but Joe Biden does not look like a well man to me. Chances are 50/50 that Harris will end up as President. American politics are always interesting, I'll say that.

Well, just packing up for holidays so that's my last post for a while. Enjoy some summer weather gentlemen.

I'm tired of the pointing out of Trump's errors in handling covid-19 too, but...it is what it is I guess. It's kinda like complaining about Lowe as POHO. Got painfully old, but the dude just kept making mistake after mistake and refused to own up to anything :) Just because it gets old doesn't mean it didn't happen or that he was not at all suited to the task. And similarly, there are always the people that insisted it was anyone but Lowe's fault too, lol.

For sure, it's not only his fault for how things turned out. When you're president though, you really have to wear the bad things that happen, even more so if you were fighting against measures that could have reduced the damage almost the entire way through. Lots and lots of blame still to go around from so many other angles too, too much stuff to even try to encompass into one conversation, I agree with most of what you just brought up just now. There is only 1 super obvious one slapping everyone in the face on almost a daily basis though, so it ends up getting most of the attention.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I posted this before but it's a perfect response to this post and a great watch:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I went to Lowes today and this guy in his 30s didnt have a mask on so the cashier asked him why he didnt have a mask on and he gave her kind of a dumb look and she said that next time she wouldnt serve him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wouldn't even want to be apart of that with no Covid.

lol seconded.

Not much for beaches. Especially the kind of stinky rotten festering lake beaches we tend to get around here where everything smells like rotten vegetation. Alberta lakes sure aren't much. except the mountain lakes which are beautiful, but hard to soak or swim in those...

Give me a Hawaii beach and I like it. But not here. Kind of like west coach beaches but the water is polluted.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yes I added it because I realise I was coming across as some old guy shouting at tourists. That is not the whole truth! Some things need to be looked over that is for sure, and seems as a time as good as any to do that. The scooter hiring industry in Italy is really a bad example of how things are handled badly. Often they use scooter which cannot even circulate and then put tourists who are not allowed to drive them in a situation which is potentially very dangerous. City full of pot holes, and city full of Italian drivers...

I am sure @Drivesaitl is beaming with pride. He is an old influencer now. ;)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
My patient caught Covid-19 twice. So long to herd immunity hopes.

Bummer. With months passing since this started, the immunity gained from mild infections is being put to the test. It might not be very good. More stories coming up about people getting it a second time.

Sorry if I am skeptical. Especially when he claims of other emerging cases with nothing to back it up. Add to that the fact there were so many false positives and negatives for months...then he makes such a definitive statement.

Makes me wonder of motivation especially when it is from a website pushing this narrative for a while now and telling you to contribute at the end of the article because it is for the common good.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad