OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry if I am skeptical. Especially when he claims of other emerging cases with nothing to back it up. Add to that the fact there were so many false positives and negatives for months...then he makes such a definitive statement.

Makes me wonder of motivation especially when it is from a website pushing this narrative for a while now and telling you to contribute at the end of the article because it is for the common good.
"Pushing this narrative" you mean just explaining what they are seeing is pushing a narrative? There was that wrestler who had it twice as well. There has been a couple instances of people catching it more than once.

That and the article is full of references as well.

Ps: they have that blurb at the end of all their articles. They are trying to keep it free to read. I much prefer that then other outlets that put a pay wall after reading a single article

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sorry if I am skeptical. Especially when he claims of other emerging cases with nothing to back it up. Add to that the fact there were so many false positives and negatives for months...then he makes such a definitive statement.

Makes me wonder of motivation especially when it is from a website pushing this narrative for a while now and telling you to contribute at the end of the article because it is for the common good.

At the least, I think we're reaching a point where, if this is true, it will be pretty well confirmed beyond a doubt in the next 2-3 months. If immunity with a minor infection only lasts a handful of months, there will be more and more examples of repeat infections. Especially in the USA where your chances are looking pretty good to get multiple encounters with infected people across months.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the least, I think we're reaching a point where, if this is true, it will be pretty well confirmed beyond a doubt in the next 2-3 months. If immunity with a minor infection only lasts a handful of months, there will be more and more examples of repeat infections. Especially in the USA where your chances are looking pretty good to get multiple encounters with infected people across months.
I have seen some diseases where not everyone can gain immunity. That's possible as well

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Ridiculous out at Sylvan Lake...is the maximum outdoor gathering still not 100 people?
And cops and bylaw in the news story said it was pretty much impossible to hand out tickets...actually it's easy, do your job and hand out tickets. I got busted for speeding in one of the many sting operations they've been doing around the Henday. They always have a lot of people pulled over and it doesn't stop them from ticketing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ridiculous out at Sylvan Lake...is the maximum outdoor gathering still not 100 people?
And cops and bylaw in the news story said it was pretty much impossible to hand out tickets...actually it's easy, do your job and hand out tickets. I got busted for speeding in one of the many sting operations they've been doing around the Henday. They always have a lot of people pulled over and it doesn't stop them from ticketing.
Yeah. It's kind of bullshit.
Just do your job, it's not a hard concept.
I wonder if their issue is to them it's unfair to give everyone a ticket cause maybe someone is trying to distance and getting surrounded but even then, if you are trying to social distance and see all those people, just leave.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
When you go to West Edmonton Mall, I would guess it is about 25-30% wearing masks. The Sylvan Lake thing is ridiculous. Until everyone gets behind controling the virus, it is going to run amok. I told my wife yesterday that I wear a mask because if I thought I was the cause of getting someone's grandma to die with Covid, I couldn't live with myself.

The problem is the sell. Politicians need to get the public on board by getting the right message across. They aren't good at messaging. (On both sides of the border.)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Maybe I'm having a bad day but I've had it with this f***ing virus. Just f***ing shut everything down, keep people inside for a month or two and starve the effing thing out! I'm tired of these half measures and declines, rises, seconf waves, third waves, no herd immunity, potentially airborne cr**! Shut 'er all down for a few months. Come back full bore. I know it's somewhat far fetched and unrealistic but man, this indefinite limbo is more tiresome than a 2-3 month complete shut down would be imo. Rip it off like a friggin bandaid!

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Maybe I'm having a bad day but I've had it with this f***ing virus. Just f***ing shut everything down, keep people inside for a month or two and starve the effing thing out! I'm tired of these half measures and declines, rises, seconf waves, third waves, no herd immunity, potentially airborne cr**! Shut 'er all down for a few months. Come back full bore. I know it's somewhat far fetched and unrealistic but man, this limbo is more tiresome than a 2-3 month complete shut down would be imo. Rip it off like a friggin bandaid!
Should have been done in March for 4 weeks. Now we are so far past that. Make recommendations mandatory and enforce them. I agree these half measures are wasting everyone's time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Should have been done in March for 4 weeks. Now we are so far past that. Make recommendations mandatory and enforce them. I agree these half measures are wasting everyone's time.
The thing is we shouldn't even NEED to make mask wearing mandatory. Issue is so many people aren't even TRYING to social distance or anything. Wear masks in crowded places, stay home when sick, keep 2 meters away, wash your hands. That should be enough. Instead cases in Alberta are going up again and all that. Now we might have to make shit like masks mandatory to get things back under control without having to shut down again.

Open up and wear a mask or close back down. We shouldn't have to get to that point again

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
upload_2020-7-13_15-40-15.png

Phase 3 not happening soon. I sure hope I can send my kid to school in September.

I have to say though that Edmonton's doing pretty well again, 199 active cases and that's with the Mis outbreak.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Beaches and outdoor gatherings aren't the problem.

A group of epidemiologists in Hong Kong found that just 20% of cases studied there were responsible for 80% of all coronavirus transmissions. The researchers also found 70% of people infected with the coronavirus didn't pass it to anyone else and that all superspreading events involved indoor social gatherings.

70% of people infected with the coronavirus did not pass it to anyone, preliminary research shows. Superspreading events account for most transmission.

The odds that a primary case transmitted COVID-19 in a closed environment was 18.7 times greater compared to an open-air environment

Closed environments facilitate secondary transmission of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved 2 cases out of 1245.

Indoor transmission of SARS-CoV-2

Reactions: oilers'72

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Maybe I'm having a bad day but I've had it with this f***ing virus. Just f***ing shut everything down, keep people inside for a month or two and starve the effing thing out! I'm tired of these half measures and declines, rises, seconf waves, third waves, no herd immunity, potentially airborne cr**! Shut 'er all down for a few months. Come back full bore. I know it's somewhat far fetched and unrealistic but man, this indefinite limbo is more tiresome than a 2-3 month complete shut down would be imo. Rip it off like a friggin bandaid!
Is that necessary for a virus that has killed 160 people in Alberta in the last 4 months?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hong Kong is a little different. Mask wearing there is very popular.

Common sense shows that being super close to people, sweating, yelling and having a good time will pass the disease. Beach on its own is fine. Over crowding elbow to elbow will help spread the disease.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Arg, yes, I was thinking that in mid March wthen the world mostly went half a$$ed with the "lockdown". That flatten the curve bs. Just stomp it out completely or try to. Are we really in that much better a position with this perpetual limbo with potentially no herd immunity nor vaccine guaranteed? We could be right back where we were if not worse in October or Decemeber! People are getting this infection 2-3 times and seemingly immunity might not be guaranteed.

I was thinking just have relegated personnel deliver food and perform other essentials and lock everybody the eff down. Arrest or shoot (depending on what regime you live in) any unauthorized personnel on the streets in public. Any time a person is found and arrested on the street, the clock restarts back to two months lockdown.... person's name is revealed... people can beat his a$$ down after it's all sadi and done. Put onus on the people to abide. Arg, i'm being facetious but man July 13, 2020, I've hit some real frustration with this.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Arg, yes, I was thinking that in mid March wthen the world mostly went half a$$ed with the "lockdown". That flatten the curve bs. Just stomp it out completely or try to. Are we really in that much better a position with this perpetual limbo with potentially no herd immunity nor vaccine guaranteed? We could be right back where we were if not worse in October or Decemeber! People are getting this infection 2-3 times and seemingly immunity might not be guaranteed.

I was thinking just have relegated personnel deliver food and perform other essentials and lock everybody the eff down. Arrest or shoot (depending on what regime you live in) any unauthorized personnel on the streets in public. Any time a person is found and arrested on the street, the clock restarts back to two months lockdown.... person's name is revealed... people can beat his a$$ down after it's all sadi and done. Put onus on the people to abide. Arg, i'm being facetious but man July 13, 2020, I've hit some real frustration with this.

Yeah just stomp it out completely, how hard could it be?

New Zealand, an island nation of 5M can’t even stomp it out completely, should be a breeze in a country with 35M.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Is that necessary for a virus that has killed 160 people in Alberta in the last 4 months?

We can't discount deaths of people as just "minor" casualties of this. I dunno, I'm just done with these half measures and potential re-shut down, masks, not knowing if i should head to the gym or play hockey etc. I'm just not sure we'll get back to norm anytime soon. I know it's probably not possible to do a REAL shutdown because there will always be people that will not abide and f*** it up, but a 2-3 month shut down with the cooperation of everyone might just essentially eradicate this thing and we can move on. Pipe dreams though.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Yeah just stomp it out completely, how hard could it be?

New Zealand, an island nation of 5M can’t even stomp it out completely, should be a breeze in a country with 35M.
They had zero cases and then opened up their borders. Canada should probably get started on that wall. :p

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Hong Kong is a little different. Mask wearing there is very popular.

Common sense shows that being super close to people, sweating, yelling and having a good time will pass the disease. Beach on its own is fine. Over crowding elbow to elbow will help spread the disease.

Well data shows outdoor spread of the disease is quite difficult.

Health officials said 14 out of 1,288 people tested positive for coronavirus at a Roxbury pop-up site that was set up following large demonstrations in Boston calling for change after the death of George Floyd.

1% positive rate seems low even for a test of random individuals.

14 Out Of 1,288 Positive For Coronavirus At Roxbury Site For Protesters

Weeks of jam-packed demonstrations in Portland and the rest of Oregon have not led to an uptick in new coronavirus cases, the state’s epidemiologist said Thursday.
“We have not seen any evidence of that,” Dr. Dean Sidelinger said during a news conference with Gov. Kate Brown.

State and local health officials said the recent spikes can be traced largely to workplace outbreaks, congregant care settings and small social gatherings among friends and family.

Oregon health officials ‘have not seen any evidence’ of coronavirus spread at protests

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and SK13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad