OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maybe I'm having a bad day but I've had it with this f***ing virus. Just f***ing shut everything down, keep people inside for a month or two and starve the effing thing out! I'm tired of these half measures and declines, rises, seconf waves, third waves, no herd immunity, potentially airborne cr**! Shut 'er all down for a few months. Come back full bore. I know it's somewhat far fetched and unrealistic but man, this indefinite limbo is more tiresome than a 2-3 month complete shut down would be imo. Rip it off like a friggin bandaid!
holy crap dude, this isn't the Ebola or Zika virus we are talking about dude..the average age of deaths in Alberta is 83 years old

your panicking isn't needed

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Ask the families of the people committing suicide due to the economy crashing and life completely changing
Truly unfortunate and devastating, but I can't imagine mental health is all that great for those working in Healthcare right now either after months of going all out for a society that doesn't seem to care. Making a bunch of racket with pots and pans sure stopped quickly once the beach was open.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ridiculous out at Sylvan Lake...is the maximum outdoor gathering still not 100 people?
And cops and bylaw in the news story said it was pretty much impossible to hand out tickets...actually it's easy, do your job and hand out tickets. I got busted for speeding in one of the many sting operations they've been doing around the Henday. They always have a lot of people pulled over and it doesn't stop them from ticketing.
The precedent has already been set. You can thank our health care officials for doing that.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Arg, yes, I was thinking that in mid March wthen the world mostly went half a$$ed with the "lockdown". That flatten the curve bs. Just stomp it out completely or try to. Are we really in that much better a position with this perpetual limbo with potentially no herd immunity nor vaccine guaranteed? We could be right back where we were if not worse in October or Decemeber! People are getting this infection 2-3 times and seemingly immunity might not be guaranteed.

I was thinking just have relegated personnel deliver food and perform other essentials and lock everybody the eff down. Arrest or shoot (depending on what regime you live in) any unauthorized personnel on the streets in public. Any time a person is found and arrested on the street, the clock restarts back to two months lockdown.... person's name is revealed... people can beat his a$$ down after it's all sadi and done. Put onus on the people to abide. Arg, i'm being facetious but man July 13, 2020, I've hit some real frustration with this.
No natter how much you scream and stomp there is no getting rid of this virus. Well at least anytime after it was exported from Wuhan.

Reactions: oilers'72

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Truly unfortunate and devastating, but I can't imagine mental health is all that great for those working in Healthcare right now either after months of going all out for a society that doesn't seem to care. Making a bunch of racket with pots and pans sure stopped quickly once the beach was open.
speaking of not caring...
42% of jobs lost in the US aren't coming back
Some 42% Of Jobs Lost In Pandemic Are Gone For Good

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ask the families of those people.
I feel awful for anyone that has lost a family member due to this virus, just like I feel awful for anyone that’s lost a family member to the flu this year. We have to put things in perspective though, we can’t stay in a lock down forever.

I have a super hot take that’s going to really put some people on edge. Oh boy, here it is: WE ARE DOING A FINE JOB HANDLING THIS PANDEMIC. Our government is doing a fine job, the people in our province and country are doing a fine job. Let’s carry on opening things back up while putting preventive measures in place, exactly like what we are doing now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel awful for anyone that has lost a family member due to this virus, just like I feel awful for anyone that’s lost a family member to the flu this year. We have to put things in perspective though, we can’t stay in a lock down forever.

I have a super hot take that’s going to really put some people on edge. Oh boy, here it is: WE ARE DOING A FINE JOB HANDLING THIS PANDEMIC. Our government is doing a fine job, the people in our province and country are doing a fine job. Let’s carry on opening things back up while putting preventive measures in place, exactly like what we are doing now.

The country, federally, couldn't possibly have done a worse job. Unless you're talking about the population itself doing a good job not contracting this, outside of Quebec anyway.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

OMG people are going to flame you for this. Seriously though, I agree. I think there was good concern to panic at the start, but reality is it looks like the mildest of what could be hoped for. It is still worse than the flu, but not to the point we have to keep in lockdown. Move forward with smart opening up strategies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
We can't discount deaths of people as just "minor" casualties of this. I dunno, I'm just done with these half measures and potential re-shut down, masks, not knowing if i should head to the gym or play hockey etc. I'm just not sure we'll get back to norm anytime soon. I know it's probably not possible to do a REAL shutdown because there will always be people that will not abide and f*** it up, but a 2-3 month shut down with the cooperation of everyone might just essentially eradicate this thing and we can move on. Pipe dreams though.
I know what your saying. I can certainly relate. Personally I’m all for following the rules and doing my bit, but I am going to go back to the gym and will start playing hockey again.

I think putting in preventative measures (or half measures as you called them) is all we can do. We have to continue on with life.

Im not totally sure what you mean by not discounting deaths as minor casualties in this. In the grand scheme of things 40 deaths a month is a very small number. A similar amount die from the flu every year and those lives could be saved by everyone locking themselves in their house but that’s not going to happen. I don’t think we should just let er rip, but I do think we should continue on with life while putting in preventive measures to help slow down the spread.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The country, federally, couldn't possibly have done a worse job. Unless you're talking about the population itself doing a good job not contracting this, outside of Quebec anyway.
How could the country not have done a worse job? I assume you’re exaggerating as our neighbors to the south have clearly done a worse job.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

We're only doing a fine job compared to our southern neighbours.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Tik Tok craze and professionals acting like dancing fools in medical wards around the world didn't help their credibility. Being a group mostly likely to contract Covid 19 outside of work, due to not following recommendations they make sure didn't help credibility either.

Starting with the Dental conference with 15K attendees just as things were shutting down, the Curling bonspiel attended by 100 Drs, other gatherings, casts a black eye on health care providers, from the start.

There were options in this to be role models. To walk the talk.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
holy crap dude, this isn't the Ebola or Zika virus we are talking about dude..the average age of deaths in Alberta is 83 years old

your panicking isn't needed

It's more about the potential permanent and long term effects than the deaths at this point (not to discount the deaths and the potential for many more if we let it get out of control). We are not seeing a clear picture of how those who are recovered have been and are continuing to be impacted by the illness. It could be a very significant factor as more data rolls in. I would see potential long term, possibly permanent diminished fitness and health and quality of life to be a very significant concern.

Also it's more about being in this partial limbo that's just frustrating. Not panic, just frustration.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I know what your saying. I can certainly relate. Personally I’m all for following the rules and doing my bit, but I am going to go back to the gym and will start playing hockey again.

I think putting in preventative measures (or half measures as you called them) is all we can do. We have to continue on with life.

Im not totally sure what you mean by not discounting deaths as minor casualties in this. In the grand scheme of things 40 deaths a month is a very small number. A similar amount die from the flu every year and those lives could be saved by everyone locking themselves in their house but that’s not going to happen. I don’t think we should just let er rip, but I do think we should continue on with life while putting in preventive measures to help slow down the spread.

Ya i know you're probably right, and i know my previous rants were just me being frustrated and facetious.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's more about the potential permanent and long term effects than the deaths at this point (not to discount the deaths and the potential for many more if we let it get out of control). We are not seeing a clear picture of how those who are recovered have been and are continuing to be impacted by the illness. It could be a very significant factor as more data rolls in. I would see potential long term, possibly permanent diminished fitness and health and quality of life to be a very significant concern.
yes, we don't know the long term effects, but a "long term" outlook
it's no different than the long-term effect illnesses like pneumonia have on people

Also it's more about being in this partial limbo that's just frustrating. Not panic, just frustration.
well, we can't stay locked in our houses for months on end...it's impossible, financially and mentally

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why do you say that? What should we do differently (citizens and government)?

We should have closed the borders earlier. That would have made a big difference.

Tam should have been consistent in her messaging on wearing a mask. There was no reason to oppose mask wearing as she did early in the pandemic.

The federal government shouldn't have tried to give itself full spending power not subject to parliamentary approval for two years.

Kudos to the provincial government for getting the timing right on re-opening.

Boo urns to inconsistency from Hinshaw on protests. All good or all bad. Not some good and some bad depending on the nature of the protest.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad