OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The point is simple.

Thousands of people have always been working and not getting sick
Thousands of people go weeks/months without seeing their family
Thousands of people have carried on with normal with only a few changes to their daily lives

It really boils down to hygiene

People who are wearing masks and aren't used to it will most likely infect themselves by continually adjusting them. Think of someone who wears glasses and constantly pushes them back up on the bridge of their nose.
But the point is not everyone can go back to their normal lives. There are a ton of industries that literally can't open because they rely on heavy crowds and the moment those kinds of places open up fully, cases will sky rocket if it's not under control. Sadly your reality doesn't work for a lot of people

Reactions: LaGu

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The point is simple.

Thousands of people have carried on with normal with only a few changes to their daily lives

People who are wearing masks and aren't used to it will most likely infect themselves by continually adjusting them. Think of someone who wears glasses and constantly pushes them back up on the bridge of their nose.

meh, you are fortunate to work in an industry with capita to utilize every safeguard and has the bottomline to be able to survive that kind of overhead.

Would you feel similarly working in a hospital with woeful ppd supplies, in a badly run environment where expenditure is not on frontline safeguard but on buying more largely superfluous ventilator that sat in boxes never used while nurses doctors worked without even adequate ppd?

Myself I'm semi retired, I'd be working through a pandemic if I was in my earning years and in a modified capacity. I work odd jobs just out of interest, and will again. I'll be pickier about those positions moving forward.

But your post kind of reads as suck it up. I get it, but a little tonedeaf.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Only hysteria I've seen is in the beginning of all of this during TP Gate. Not sure why that word seems to be bounced around so often by some people still. it's simply information....far far far from any hysteria.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Think it always was. Not like measles tier airborne where it can just linger in the air for hours, but definitely light enough to hang around.

Early on I believe in SK they figured out how people in restaurants got infected by a person based on the air circulation. People not at all close to the person known to be infected got infected because they were in the path of how the AC system was moving the air around.

Seems to have taken a crazy long time for any conclusions to be made about this, even though it's seemed pretty obvious for a while. Guess can say the same about mask usage.

I highly agree. Even in March when they said it "wasn't airborne", I just assumed it was. I'm not sure why the heck they would just go saying it's likely not airborne when they really had no clue. They should have said we suspect it COULD be airborne, thus hopefully making people act more safely. I do think that was a mistake and potentially caused more infections because of it.

Because I suspected it to be airborne, I personally never thought the 2m distance was safe enough and was a bit fearful of the indoor air circulations at grocery stores. I saw a video from some University that showed just how fast and far aerosolized droplets can travel when one person coughs in a grocery store several isles away. I mean should it not have been somewhat obvious that a bunch of doctors at the curling event got sick from one guy? I'm sure the docs knew to sanitize things and be careful etc... thus the most likely way so many got infected was because the virus is airborne.... not because of touch surfaces etc. This was back in March too. I also think some of the more recent "outbreaks" here due to gatherings was because of it being airborne. People likely gathered and had a decent set of rules which they abided by but did not really take into consideration that it was airborne.

So dangerous to make the claim that it's not airborne with a respiratory virus. A little irresponsible. Should have erred on the side of caution.

Shinny and men's league has started up in July... I wonder how long it will take until we start seeing a bit of an outbreak from shinny/men's league groups? Or maybe these guys just won't go and get tested when they fall ill because they don't want the prov/city to shut the rinks back down because of increase numbers associated with them.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
/me thinks people need to walk back from hysteria.

Covid isn't going away anytime soon. People will just need to live with the possibility you may catch it and die or someone close to you will catch it and die.

For Reference here's my hours worked during the pandemic
View attachment 353479 View attachment 353481 View attachment 353482

So since Feb 1 I have worked 1405
Since Feb my life has gone like this. Worked 3 weeks straight had 7 day off worked 2 weeks and 1 week off then 2 weeks on 1 week off 2 weeks on 1 off 2 weeks on 4 days off 3 weeks on 1 week off 4 weeks on 2 weeks off 2 week on (im currently on this on)

So yes as much as it sucks that I may die or someone close to me may die that is life.

I get what you're saying but it's still early. We do not know the potential long term implications/effects of getting sick from this virus. We could have a significant portion suffer serious and debilitating long term effects from it. It's not just the relatively "low" percentage of mortality this virus causes that we have to consider.

There are growing reports around the world saying that a seemingly significant portion who get sick are suffering long term and possibly permanent life altering damages. And that it's not isolated to the old or those who get severely ill. They are finding that young people who were very healthy and only had mild symptoms through the infection are suffering months after with no end in sight. There's stories about very fit marathon runners who got their a** kicked so hard by the virus have to re-learn how to walk again.

We should wait til more data rolls in before proclaiming it to be hysteria or overblown. Yes, I do hope that we find out months from now that it is overblown and that the effects are not really as serious and long term and that in fact it is only a tiny portion that suffer for months... but right now we're not sure. They said they are trying to determine what percentage is being potentially affected long term/permanently as we speak.

Remember how they proclaimed to us to not worry about the virus being airborne? Now they think it is. Just like how they're saying 80% of people have mild symptoms and make it seem like no biggie.... well now they're finding out there's maybe that long term permanent damage angle that's becoming prominent. Point is we need more time to find out about this virus.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
The point is simple.

Well maybe they need to learn how to wash their hands before sticking them in their mouths. While they're at it, they could take the 20 seconds and learn how to actually put on a mask so they don't need to adjust it.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Disney World re-opened and there were 15k new cases in Florida yesterday...

So, so glad I don't live down there.

Their Governor is an absolute joke. Dude was doing victory laps in May about how well he handled the pandemic...boy did that blow up in his face.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Only hysteria I've seen is in the beginning of all of this during TP Gate. Not sure why that word seems to be bounced around so often by some people still. it's simply information....far far far from any hysteria.

Yeah the TP craze was head scratching. If this was a gastrointestinal virus then yeah i could see the demand for TP, but that's not the case with this virus.

Reactions: Dorian2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I highly agree. Even in March when they said it "wasn't airborne", I just assumed it was. I'm not sure why the heck they would just go saying it's likely not airborne when they really had no clue. They should have said we suspect it COULD be airborne, thus hopefully making people act more safely. I do think that was a mistake and potentially caused more infections because of it.

Because I suspected it to be airborne, I personally never thought the 2m distance was safe enough and was a bit fearful of the indoor air circulations at grocery stores. I saw a video from some University that showed just how fast and far aerosolized droplets can travel when one person coughs in a grocery store several isles away. I mean should it not have been somewhat obvious that a bunch of doctors at the curling event got sick from one guy? I'm sure the docs knew to sanitize things and be careful etc... thus the most likely way so many got infected was because the virus is airborne.... not because of touch surfaces etc. This was back in March too. I also think some of the more recent "outbreaks" here due to gatherings was because of it being airborne. People likely gathered and had a decent set of rules which they abided by but did not really take into consideration that it was airborne.

So dangerous to make the claim that it's not airborne with a respiratory virus. A little irresponsible. Should have erred on the side of caution.

Shinny and men's league has started up in July... I wonder how long it will take until we start seeing a bit of an outbreak from shinny/men's league groups? Or maybe these guys just won't go and get tested when they fall ill because they don't want the prov/city to shut the rinks back down because of increase numbers associated with them.
It's not airborne though, at least not in the medical definition. Short distance aerosol transmission at worst.

Hospitals would be completely overwhealmed if it were airborne since they are taking the approach against droplet/aerosol transmission.

Airbone is a completely other animal. I mean the spread would be different for a proper airborne virus.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's not airborne though, at least not in the medical definition. Short distance aerosol transmission at worst.

Hospitals would be completely overwhealmed if it were airborne since they are taking the approach against droplet/aerosol transmission.

Airbone is a completely other animal. I mean to complete spread would be different for a proper airborne virus.

I can agree with this. Maybe not fully airborne as by definition but i guess my point is that there is some significance to aerosolization and air currents being able to carry it much further than 2m. This gives folks that false sense of security that they can hang out with their buds in a room for hours if they maintain "social distancing" of 2m. I guess the point is if you are in a room with someone who has the virus, even if you are 10-15ft away, for long enough (who knows what that period of time is... 10-15 mins? 1 hour?), speaking with one another, you may have a very reasonable and significant chance of becoming infected.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The cases would be astronomically higher in this case, and the severity would to. Coronavirus is a load related virus. How sick you get relating to how exposed you get. While viable covid-19 can probably exist in air for some time as smallest droplets the question is how much viral material is requires to cause any significant infection in other individuals. Somehow these airborne arguments always seem to lose sight of the amount of virus required to infect others. Otherwise the bodies immune system is just able to kill off a small infection.

We don’t know for certain so many things about this virus, that’s the issue right now. It usually takes decades of research and cases to properly elucidate things like virulence, transmissibility and immune response.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Airbone is a completely other animal. I mean to complete spread would be different for a proper airborne virus.

I would tend to agree with this. Because unless it has mutated, based on what I hear about mask use in Edmonton, the cases would be much worse there with basically everyone not wearing a mask getting it. Not to mention as bad as it has been in some states it would be far worse.

Reactions: LaGu

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
8 months late and a dollar short.

This dollar?

LfMK0Iq.jpg

:naughty:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's not 100% certain yet, and there may be different strains out there right now.

If it is and its in the US when it inevitably spreads worldwide there will be a lot of people hearing those damn _____s and their muh freedom from Americans :lol:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's tough to legislate stupidity.

At what point in human history did natural selection end? If China would like to make up for the spread of covid, just come out with a virus that attacks dipshits and ends up giving them some brains. All would be forgiven.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
At what point in human history did natural selection end? If China would like to make up for the spread of covid, just come out with a virus that attacks dipshits and ends up giving them some brains. All would be forgiven.

You know, I am not a big Trump fan but I think your posts point to the fact that we can't blame him for everything that has happened with the virus.

Sure, he's done a poor job in terms of mitigating the spread of the virus but I can't believe the pictures of beaches/bars/dance halls etc. that we are seeing on CNN. I would like to ask Don Lemon if everyone in those pictures is a Republican.

No matter who leads the country and no matter what type of common sense that person(s) has, where is personal responsibility?

Like JFK said-- "ask not what your country can do for you.........."

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You know, I am not a big Trump fan but I think your posts point to the fact that we can't blame him for everything that has happened with the virus.

Sure, he's done a poor job in terms of mitigating the spread of the virus but I can't believe the pictures of beaches/bars/dance halls etc. that we are seeing on CNN. I would like to ask Don Lemon if everyone in those pictures is a Republican.

No matter who leads the country and no matter what type of common sense that person(s) has, where is personal responsibility?

Like JFK said-- "ask not what your country can do for you.........."

Agreed, I for one dont feel that everything he has done has been bad and I am also disgusted with the Pelosis and Bidens of the world. But the reality is that there are a lot of straight up selfish assholes in this country and world. The its all about me mentality. As I see it the US is pretty well screwed because the 2 party system is shit and as a country its all about making the super rich richer while everyone else sucks wind. Everyone has to make their own decisions and quite frankly there are a lot of dumb and selfish assholes out there.

Did we ever hear anyone pushing for mortgage moratoriums? That IMO is what shouldve been done. Instead people will lose their homes, the rich will come in and buy them as foreclosures for pennies on the dollar and drive up rents or sell them when the economy eventually rebounds. I have been very fortunate through all of this but it still sickens me to see the working class take it in the shorts yet again. I hope that by some miracle by the end of my life that I will be able to leave my children with wealth because it is getting harder and harder to make a go in this country.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Agreed, I for one dont feel that everything he has done has been bad and I am also disgusted with the Pelosis and Bidens of the world. But the reality is that there are a lot of straight up selfish assholes in this country and world. The its all about me mentality. As I see it the US is pretty well screwed because the 2 party system is shit and as a country its all about making the super rich richer while everyone else sucks wind. Everyone has to make their own decisions and quite frankly there are a lot of dumb and selfish assholes out there.

Did we ever hear anyone pushing for mortgage moratoriums? That IMO is what shouldve been done. Instead people will lose their homes, the rich will come in and buy them as foreclosures for pennies on the dollar. I have been very fortunate through all of this but it still sickens me to see the working class take it in the shorts yet again.

Well, I know I'm generalizing but I will tell you a little story about our trip to Portugal last November and how things go when you ask Americans to cooperate.

When the tour started the lady who was running it said that to be fair, we would all rotate "2 spaces clockwise" so everyone would get a chance to sit in the front and the back--seems reasonable, right?

The following morning, when we went to perform this seemingly simple task, there were near fist fights on the bus as a number of Americans refused to move because they "had their rights and no one could tell them to move." The 6 Canadians on board (including ourselves and one disabled man) had no problem with it but for the next week I heard endless speeches about not being told what to do.

Sure, it's not everybody and Canadians can be just as bad but I can see why Canada has had more success in combating the virus (although I realize that there are many factors involved).

However--when you won't do something simple because of your individual rights then you end up with all these Costco -Kens making fools of themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, I know I'm generalizing but I will tell you a little story about our trip to Portugal last November and how things go when you ask Americans to cooperate.

When the tour started the lady who was running it said that to be fair, we would all rotate "2 spaces clockwise" so everyone would get a chance to sit in the front and the back--seems reasonable, right?

The following morning, when we went to perform this seemingly simple task, there were near fist fights on the bus as a number of Americans refused to move because they "had their rights and no one could tell them to move." The 6 Canadians on board (including ourselves and one disabled man) had no problem with it but for the next week I heard endless speeches about not being told what to do.

Sure, it's not everybody and Canadians can be just as bad but I can see why Canada has had more success in combating the virus although I realize that there are many factors involved. But when you won't do something simple because of your individual rights then you end up with all these Costco -Kens making fools of themselves.

It only takes 1 turd to ruin the punch bowl. Sadly a handful of assholes like those that you encountered give a bad name for many others that arent like that. What part of Portugal did you go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad