OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Reframing that positively, heh, theres a whole other kind of families "getting to know each other real well during these times"

On a more serious level Childrens Services activity and investigation has nearly ceased during this trying time and with even attempts at interventions often being on the phone, skype or some such contacts.

Theres going to be a whole lot of digging out from under on when all this is done. But there won't be a lot of money either left to help families or kids. In sum theres going to be a lot less that we can really protect in society in bankrupt times. We want idealism, we want no harm, but wrongdoing and far worse will always exist out there.
What's your point at the end there? We shouldn't be idealistic and try and make things better?

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Reframing that positively, heh, theres a whole other kind of families "getting to know each other real well during these times"

On a more serious level Childrens Services activity and investigation has nearly ceased during this trying time and with even attempts at interventions often being on the phone, skype or some such contacts.

Theres going to be a whole lot of digging out from under on when all this is done. But there won't be a lot of money either left to help families or kids. In sum theres going to be a lot less that we can really protect in society in bankrupt times. We want idealism, we want no harm, but wrongdoing and far worse will always exist out there.

The reason why they cant go into a full on lock down again. Especially for future pandemics.

Long term damage is way too much

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What's your point at the end there? We shouldn't be idealistic and try and make things better?
tbh it was just free forming some of the difficulties. Not concluding, just pondering what its all going to look like and what is able to continue.

The wife beckons though, I must succumb.

cheers all

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
We won't know the long term damage for well.. a long time.

Not really, you already see the economic impacts. Lots of data from past recessions.

Just for example, people that graduate in a recession are greatly affected. I believe the study is every % increase in unemployment rate is 6-7% decrease in earnings (this is for a while male, tahts what a Yale economic study showed). Now imagine this for colored people, like black people.

In 15 years those people that graduated around this time, will still be earning less

Has ripple effects

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Some people love children and teaching. I agree if you don't like the pay don't get into it however teachers wages have been stagnant in a lot of places for a long time and they are not even getting cost of living increases. That's why a lot are complaining
I mean they do get like 4-5% raise every year their first 10 years. After that they are around 100k, so I don't have too much sympathy for the complaining.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not really, you already see the economic impacts. Lots of data from past recessions.

Just for example, people that graduate in a recession are greatly affected. I believe the study is every % increase in unemployment rate is 6-7% decrease in earnings (this is for a while male, tahts what a Yale economic study showed). Now imagine this for colored people, like black people.

In 15 years those people that graduated around this time, will still be earning less

Has ripple effects
Yeah people get hurt and billionaires got even richer. I don't think it was the case of it just further exposed how broken the world current is

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Yeah people get hurt and billionaires got even richer. I don't think it was the case of it just further exposed how broken the world current is

Yea i mean the wealth gap will likely increase significantly after this. Lots of people who could WFH were able, but people that couldnt just got 2K in trudeau bucks per month, which is really nothing.

In the US i think all they got was 1200 USD, very sad

Been trying to help as much as I could to servers/barbers and stuff by tipping a bit more. But i can only do so much lol

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The reason why they cant go into a full on lock down again. Especially for future pandemics.

Long term damage is way too much

No more blaming the government if we end up back in a lockout. People wanted restrictions lifted, and they got what they wanted. Totally up to us now which way this goes. If we follow the basic simple steps to help stop the virus spread, we will be fine. If we don't, then shame on us.

Reactions: joestevens29

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean they do get like 4-5% raise every year their first 10 years. After that they are around 100k, so I don't have too much sympathy for the complaining.
I'd like to see the proof of that.
From everything I've seen Alberta Teachers haven't seen a cost of living increase in years and have seen a single 2% raise in 8. I don't know a single teacher that makes 100k, at least in Alberta.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'd like to see the proof of that.
From everything I've seen Alberta Teachers haven't seen a cost of living increase in years and have seen a single 2% raise in 8. I don't know a single teacher that makes 100k, at least in Alberta.

Wage Comparison: how B.C. teachers compare to others in Canada

Old article, but says average is close to 100K. For 10 months of work.

Alberta finance minister says no money available for teacher salary increases

Newer article, says total compensation around 116K.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Keep in mind, teachers lose a ton of money through union fees, medical fees, and other deductions.

Many also spend their own money each year on things for their students and class room. I dated a teacher years ago and she would easily spend 2 grand a year of her own money on stuff for the classroom/kids.

It’s definitely not a profession you get into for the money but also they are pretty well compensated.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
They did mess up bad but there is a large difference between purposely releasing the virus and just being complacent. Especially on the world leaders side.
When you are welding citizens into their homes and marching the Uyghurs off to ‘camps’ while at the same time allowing tens of thousands of ‘tourists’ to fly out to London, NY, and Tokyo on a daily basis it goes beyond complacent. Well beyond.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
41 new cases today, 41 currently in hospital total (9 in ICU, no increase).

4 outbreaks in Edmonton Restaurants (Greta, an Earls, The Pint Downtown, and Local on Jasper Ave)

Edit: (wow)

15 cases with Greta
6 cases with Earls
10 cases with The Pint
9 cases with Local

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I mean it's literally not
I don’t think we are discussing whether they purposefully released the virus amid some sort of keystone cops evil genius style thing. However I do think they wanted to hide it and transported around the world which achieved the same thing.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Hadn't been a case here in over a month, suddenly they decide to open up nail salons tattoo shops and boom! 27 cases, which has likely spread to loads of other people. Nail and hair salons, tattoo parlors, really these aren't necessary and should be part of phase 30, I understand their need to get back to work but you can let your hair grow, not get a tattoo and do your f'n nails at home. Idiots.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel the protests will definitely call down if the police stop using police brutality to counter the police brutality protests. Places where the police have treated the protestors with restraint seem to have their protests numbers drop. The minute you tear gas a crowd or start shooting rubber bullets at people you just increase the amount of people they will protest.

On mask use, Florida which opened up beaches and shit are seeing a massive influx of cases and tons of people aren't wearing masks there. Outside + masks = great. Outside - mask = still bad

The riots didn't occur DUE to the police responses. They occurred due to an unending focus on one specific case f response, thus will forever be known as the George Floyd protests.

its inane to state that riots occur, generally, BECAUSE of police. yet there were dullards here even during the riots in Edmonton saying "Dur, Police, get outta my way, I gotta set fire to things and break up a few shops."

I mean you're always going to find people that defend the lawnessness while decrying the law and order. But it just isn't very honest.

Occams razor would deduce somewhat differently.

Heres a selective. 2 Constables in California were shot while in patrol, during a riot, by a passing car with occupant(s) that opened fire in typical driveby fashion. One of the constables is dead. Nobody knows his name right. Few ever heard the story. Few ever do when a police officer dies. Which happens often. The media doesn't want to run with that story. At the same time as this is happening, and police officers are man down and killed the big story is as usual the "behavior" of the police who are busy getting spat at and dodging rocks and other thrown projectiles. But police so much as use tear gas or rubber bullets and its the police inciting the riot according to some.

This just in. Police don't really want to be there.

Reactions: harpoon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The riots didn't occur DUE to the police responses. They occurred due to an unending focus on one specific case f response, thus will forever be known as the George Floyd protests.

its inane to state that riots occur, generally, BECAUSE of police. yet there were dullards here even during the riots in Edmonton saying "Dur, Police, get outta my way, I gotta set fire to things and break up a few shops."

I mean you're always going to find people that defend the lawnessness while decrying the law and order. But it just isn't very honest.

Occams razor would deduce somewhat differently.

Heres a selective. 2 Constables in California were shot while in patrol, during a riot, by a passing car with occupant(s) that opened fire in typical driveby fashion. One of the constables is dead. Nobody knows his name right. Few ever heard the story. Few ever do when a police officer dies. Which happens often. The media doesn't want to run with that story. At the same time as this is happening, and police officers are man down and killed the big story is as usual the "behavior" of the police who are busy getting spat at and dodging rocks and other thrown projectiles. But police so much as use tear gas or rubber bullets and its the police inciting the riot according to some.

This just in. Police don't really want to be there.
The rioters aren't the ones getting tear gassed, beat and shot at. The normal protestors are. There is far more peaceful protests than riots and the president is telling the police to treat them the same.

If it's the same dead cop I read about, the guy drove by to shoot at protestors and the cops got hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad