OT: Coronavirus - Start Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
This is beyond hilarious. Folks, we're talking about the common cold here. An itty bitty virus. Getting sick sucks, but it happens. Eat healthy, exercise and wash your hands.

The panic and hysteria coming from people who believe CNN is some gospel of Truth rather than a fear mongering for profit fake news station is the real problem.

"Start prepping." Jesus :biglaugh:

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
To be fair the Gov(s) of Canada Fed/Provincial have done very little and for that reason I am pretty confident there are many cases undetected. Not to ratchet up fear but just tell it like it is, the US by contrast has done perhaps even more than us or on par. Somehow there is no scrutiny of the Fed Gov here though or little at best.
There are hundreds of undocumented cases in Canada. US is much better prepared, banning travel from China early on. So early, in fact, Trump was criticized and called racist and xenophobic at the beginning of February when he did it, as per usual.

Meanwhile, Canada has surfer dude at the helm who allowed free travel from Iran up until yesterday. I wish we had some brain power and foresight in Ottawa. Surfer dude is incapable of leadership.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
There are hundreds of undocumented cases in Canada. US is much better prepared, banning travel from China early on. So early, in fact, Trump was criticized and called racist and xenophobic at the beginning of February when he did it, as per usual.

Meanwhile, Canada has surfer dude at the helm who allowed free travel from Iran up until yesterday. I wish we had some brain power and foresight in Ottawa. Surfer dude is incapable of leadership.

How do you go from the below, to the above? You talk about not panicking from the media warmongering, then go on to say that Canada isn't prepared for this. Choose a side.

I will say this though, if people didn't panic so much, the stock market wouldn't be falling, and we wouldn't be risking an economical collapse right now.

This is beyond hilarious. Folks, we're talking about the common cold here. An itty bitty virus. Getting sick sucks, but it happens. Eat healthy, exercise and wash your hands.

The panic and hysteria coming from people who believe CNN is some gospel of Truth rather than a fear mongering for profit fake news station is the real problem.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
How do you go from the below, to the above? You talk about not panicking from the media warmongering, then go on to say that Canada isn't prepared for this. Choose a side.

I will say this though, if people didn't panic so much, the stock market wouldn't be falling, and we wouldn't be risking an economical collapse right now.
Ottawa had no foresight is what I'm saying. Numbers are being underreported. But despite our incompetent leadership, there is no reason to panic. None.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Very late to the game, they left the borders open with Iran while cases were popping up left right and center. It was bad. People I know working in hospitals have said not much is being done or talked about it. One doctor told me the Canadian Gov't handling of this is a joke. That's front line feedback. They are slow, far too slow and if we see a spike in the next two weeks you will know why.

Remember: 14 to 28 day without symptoms.

"We Found the Coronavirus Vulnerability: Learn How to Exploit It"

Whats worse... Seems it's a biological weapon or weapon candidate / made in lab. Dr in video explains based on reports out of India and Cornell University.

Let’s consider our news sources.

Also worth remembering that although we have National Healthcare, it’s a Provincial Government jurisdiction.

Yes there is a National Public Health Agency but something as simple as procuring PPE (personal protective equipment) falls to the Province.

In Alberta, it would be done through AHS (Alberta Health Services). BC would be PHSA (Provincial Health Services Authority).

In Ontario, it’s a dog’s breakfast of Shared Service Organizations like Plexxus, HMMS, Transform all receiving funding from LHINs that Ford’s government is turning into at least 24 different Ontario Health Teams.

If you want to point the finger at “government”... be clear where you are aiming.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

It’s not beyond hilarious if I am positive yet asymptomatic and visit my 73 year old father with his underlying conditions.

Pretty sure most of know someone who would be at a much higher risk of death if they were to catch it.

Being socially responsible is a thing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It’s made even worse by the fact that so many don’t have healthcare if they do get the virus.

And taking a step back, since you may have to pay for your own test in the States...

Would you have to pay for a coronavirus test? It depends. - CNNPolitics

... how many undocumented cases will there be?

I suspect the number of people in countries with non-publicly funded health care, the number of undocumented cases is significantly higher than in countries like Britain, Italy, Canada. You can't treat what you don't know is out there.

When you avoid early treatment, in any affliction, the subsequent treatment tends to be more expensive and less successful. A friend of mine from Texas, her son split his head open and instead of paying for hospital care, she sewed his head up herself. the heath"care" system in the States is barbaric and morally and ethically wrong. To tell someone if I don't make a profit off your disease, affliction , condition is beyond morally bankrupt.

I know we are not supposed to talk about politics on HF but this Coronavirus has a political element, Healthcare was going to be one of the big topics in the election down south, this event will further tip the scales towards publicly funded health care vs private for profit healthcare.

Reactions: Rogie

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Way worse, the market is already triggered.

do not buy, we are NO where near the bottom of this falling knife.

I've already lost 2% of my retirement savings, and that is just a couple of days of trading, I don't have the stomach to check the most recent results. I'm sure I'm down 5% to 10%, and for a guy that is 20-ish years away from retirement, that is an ugly number.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I guess foresight is now defined as having an issue with a countries religion...? When did Trump ban travel to/from Italy, S. Korea, France, German, Spain?

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

RBC, TD, Morgan Stanley, Bank of America....

Some pretty big companies are splitting their trading sites to ensure they're able to function in an outbreak. Do you think they're doing that just because of CNN's fear mongering?

RBC to Move Traders to Alternative Sites Due to Coronavirus

You should give them a call and let them know your more credible news sources. They'd save a ton of money and probably cut you a check for a few million dollars. Each.

It would be "interesting" to know where the World Health Organization is getting its numbers. Prolly just watching CNN and updating their data...

It's not just the common cold. Even the regular flu is not just the common cold. Jesus.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

There's nothing "hilarious" about it. Check out the stock market if CNN isn't good enough.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I've already lost 2% of my retirement savings, and that is just a couple of days of trading, I don't have the stomach to check the most recent results. I'm sure I'm down 5% to 10%, and for a guy that is 20-ish years away from retirement, that is an ugly number.

Dollar cost averaging.

Don’t sweat the bumps. You’ll be buying low.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Waiting for perfect opportunity never works. You might miss the bottom and then it's too late.

If you believe that markets will jump back again to record high's in a month this is time to buy.

not this month.
If you are playing the long term game it really won’t matter if your late to the party, only the short game.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012

we’ve lost a year and a half of gains and we are not anywhere near the level we were at in 2008.
Sorry to pile on.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Yep it's just a common cold.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Dow down 7% in 6 minutes. Stock market halted. Im thinking about all the retirees now who will need liquid cash due to inflation. Already toilet paper is 28$ at my local walmart from people buying it up. Food prices are probably going to increase as well.

Edit: looks like stocks are back up and running, were halted for 15 minutes.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Do you remember Sandra Bullock's Netflix film, Birdbox? I think most of us probably saw it. Well, Hfman, Jowls, and Cesar remind me of those humans who turned to work for the alien entity by finding surviving humans and "opening their eyes".

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dow down 7% in 6 minutes. Stock market halted. Im thinking about all the retirees now who will need liquid cash due to inflation. Already toilet paper is 28$ at my local walmart from people buying it up. Food prices are probably going to increase as well.

Edit: looks like stocks are back up and running, were halted for 15 minutes.

Was at Superstore, lots of TP and no price increase.

However, the geniuses in Alberta elected a premiere whose only thought is propping up the Patch.

At my age, COVID19 is going to get me one way or the other LOL, maybe both!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Pissed me off too on the toilet paper stock and prices. No toilet paper left on Sunday afternoon at Costco and Walmart. Had to buy some at Cdn tire for $28 and wasted 2 hours of my time.

People relax on stocking up on this. What kinda stupid is this. Buy what you need.

This morning the markets collapsed. It will be a very bad week. The shorters are taking people's $$$. Maybe I will short too this week.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
we’ve lost a year and a half of gains and we are not anywhere near the level we were at in 2008.
Sorry to pile on.

Buy low and sell high right?

Hard part is jumping in when the market is tanking.

If you buy every month though you automatically buy low when these things hit.

It’s called dollar cost averaging. And for longer term, it is helpful.

If I am retiring this year... different story.

Reactions: TorMapleJays
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad