Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach

You just have to love Georgia. Here is the response to posting the picture, from the Washington Post:

"At least two North Paulding High School students have been suspended after sharing images of a school hallway jammed with their mostly maskless peers, and the principal has warned other students against doing the same.

North Paulding High School in Dallas, Ga., about an hour’s drive from Atlanta, was thrust into the national spotlight this week when pictures and videos surfaced of its crowded interior on the first and second days of its first week back in session. The images, which showed a sea of teens clustered together with no face coverings, raised concerns among online commenters and parents over how the district is handling reopening schools during the novel coronavirus pandemic."

Reactions: Sojourn

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
wow, I hope all those kids start spreading photos of how poorly that school is handling things so they're forced to do the right thing and not have kids in school.

I just don't understand how people so stupid and negligent can be in charge of a school.

Reactions: Sojourn

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Curious what the reason given for the suspension was.

If I were their parents, I would be pissed.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Curious what the reason given for the suspension was.

If I were their parents, I would be pissed.
Using a phone while "in session" and posting pictures of peers online. Obviously, it was retribution for making them look bad though.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Using a phone while "in session" and posting pictures of peers online. Obviously, it was retribution for making them look bad though.

Yeah. Such a stupid thing. That picture is a perfect example of why people are nervous about the school environment and COVID-19.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
As a prep school teacher, I'm curious about the way our students will handle the situation from tomorrow on. I know most of them didn't care much for the regulations prior to the summer break, so I assume we'll have a lockdown within a few weeks again.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The school rescinded the suspension after public pressure and now nine people have tested positive from that school. Shocking all around.

This is where I wonder if people think ahead. What did they think the response would be to the suspension?

Yeah, I bet you’re as surprised as I am.

Reactions: Static

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
meanwhile, new zealand hasn't had a community acquired case in 100 days

see what happens when people and governments actually take the pandemic seriously?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Comparing containing a pandemic in a place like New Zealand to a place like the United States isn't a credible argument.
i'm comparing the responses to the pandemic

and new zealand isn't the only place that is in great shape. so the island argument doesn't work

Reactions: Sean Garrity

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
And so it goes, from the Washington Post:

"The Georgia teenager who was briefly suspended over viral images of her packed high school hallway says other teens are making threats against her, as her school closes down for cleaning amid a coronavirus outbreak.

Hannah Watters told CNN’s Boris Sanchez Sunday night that she and people close to her have seen pictures of menacing messages in group chats. She listed examples: “I know where this girl lives,” “We’re going to jump every girl named Hannah in the tenth grade” and “Hannah is going to have a rough day at school on Monday.”

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
And so it goes, from the Washington Post:

"The Georgia teenager who was briefly suspended over viral images of her packed high school hallway says other teens are making threats against her, as her school closes down for cleaning amid a coronavirus outbreak.

Hannah Watters told CNN’s Boris Sanchez Sunday night that she and people close to her have seen pictures of menacing messages in group chats. She listed examples: “I know where this girl lives,” “We’re going to jump every girl named Hannah in the tenth grade” and “Hannah is going to have a rough day at school on Monday.”

Great. So it’s not enough that adults polarize this, but now the kids are going to as well. Any guesses where that’s coming from? If you guessed the parents, you win.

Reactions: dracom

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Great. So it’s not enough that adults polarize this, but now the kids are going to as well. Any guesses where that’s coming from? If you guessed the parents, you win.
high school kids are a**holes, so you just know any kid showing up to school with a mask is gonna get made fun of to no end

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
high school kids are a**holes, so you just know any kid showing up to school with a mask is gonna get made fun of to no end

It’s definitely an opportunity to bully. But masks should be mandated, and all students should be wearing them, which would also serve to help mitigate that kind of response from kids.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
It is always good to follow up on these types of stories. I guess that kids do get and spread COVID-19. From the Washington Post:

The Paulding County School District announced Wednesday that students will return to North Paulding High School classrooms next week in shifts, even though the school has reached 35 positive cases of the novel coronavirus since the first day of school, according to a letter sent to parents and guardians obtained by a WXIA-TV reporter.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Yup, opening up colleges for in person attendance has risks:

"Less than a week into the start of classes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, school officials announced Friday that there were two clusters of coronavirus cases in student housing.
The university said in an alert sent to students and staff that the clusters, which are five or more cases within the same buildings, were identified at Ehringhaus Community, a freshman dorm, and Granville Towers, apartments owned by the university.
The school didn’t say how many infections are part of the outbreaks. A spokesperson didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment from The Washington Post.
The news of the clusters comes as other schools bring back students and report surges in cases.
The University of Notre Dame tallied 29 confirmed cases Friday, more than double its count two days ago, according to a schoolwide tracker."

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's definitely not shocking. There is just too much community spread in a lot of places.

I fully believe re-opening schools was a (cautious) option that could have been explored. Even now, in some places, it's probably feasible. We just didn't do enough to slow down, or halt, the spread of the virus on the whole. That's on us, as a country.

Reactions: Masch78

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
we finally take a step forward in the last month or so and now we'll be taking 10 steps back. now that OC will be taken off the state watchlist, i expect indoor dining and bars to open back up again soon. and then a few weeks later, we'll be seeing 1k+ new cases again

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
meanwhile, new zealand hasn't had a community acquired case in 100 days

see what happens when people and governments actually take the pandemic seriously?

I agree with your overall point but New Zealand isn’t really comparable to many other countries, it’s so far away from everything, the population density is incredibly low outside of Auckland and they were one of the last countries to encounter cases so were able to watch and learn from what the rest of the world was already going through.

Also there are community transmissions in New Zealand again. Not many but they are there. The reason there were 100 days or whatever between community transmission is because the testing of border staff was so bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad