Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Now zegras is playing golf with comtois!!! He's infecting the whole team!!!
You know, you might think you're being funny, but there are hundreds of thousands of people dead because if this. Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, gone forever.

As someone who is in the hospital helping treat these people, I have to say the characterization of a big joke and the minimization of the absolutely horrible things happening to people is just disgusting. I think you people should feel ashamed, and I hope you never have to watch someone die from this.

Reactions: uncleben

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You know, you might think you're being funny, but there are hundreds of thousands of people dead because if this. Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, gone forever.

As someone who is in the hospital helping treat these people, I have to say the characterization of a big joke and the minimization of the absolutely horrible things happening to people is just disgusting. I think you people should feel ashamed, and I hope you never have to watch someone die from this.
I wear a mask everywhere I go, I take it seriously but you can't expect everyone to

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He's a kid and the #1 pick in the draft was with him too. They are probably isolated somewhere rich or they are just being dumb kids.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

I remember when I used to believe everything the government told me even when they admitted they inflate the numbers

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The number will never be zero. At what point would you allow people to do their own risk assessment?

P.S. I'm not being a smartass, I'm really curious.
I'll answer this in the Covid thread. Don't want people freaking out that they can't read the incredible amount of current prospect news.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The reason I got upset is because a poster thought it was funny to dunk on the risk of Covid. As someone who has seen the devastation of it up close, I found the lack of empathy infuriating.

The dmang person seems to believe that the government is inflating the death count. If you want to believe that, fine, doesn't really matter to me. Regardless if the death toll is 100K or 50K have some f***ing respect and empathy for those who have lost loved ones.

Reactions: Paul4587

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The reason I got upset is because a poster thought it was funny to dunk on the risk of Covid. As someone who has seen the devastation of it up close, I found the lack of empathy infuriating.

The dmang person seems to believe that the government is inflating the death count. If you want to believe that, fine, doesn't really matter to me. Regardless if the death toll is 100K or 50K have some f***ing respect and empathy for those who have lost loved ones.
Totally agree. I don't know if the death count is being inflated. But I do know that this is a virus and will continue to be spread to some degree no matter what measures are taken. My question for people like you who feel so strongly about people needing to act in a certain way is "When would you be OK with people making their own risk assessments?" BTW, my wife tested positive and I believe I have had it as well, although my symptoms were not severe enough to be tested or require care.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Totally agree. I don't know if the death count is being inflated. But I do know that this is a virus and will continue to be spread to some degree no matter what measures are taken. My question for people like you who feel so strongly about people needing to act in a certain way is "When would you be OK with people making their own risk assessments?" BTW, my wife tested positive and I believe I have had it as well, although my symptoms were not severe enough to be tested or require care.
I don't have an answer for that. I know it isn't now. I'm glad you both made it through.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
"Science" is whatever fits the agenda in the case of COVID. Plenty of scientists out there, with almost as many scientific conclusions.

In context, science means actually recording data. The data, itself, is irrefutable. There is no agenda in data. But, hey, if this is your take on "science", then you completely omitted the premise of using statistical recording for proper information - hence, science; not agenda. smh

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
In context, science means actually recording data. The data, itself, is irrefutable. There is no agenda in data. But, hey, if this is your take on "science", then you completely omitted the premise of using statistical recording for proper information - hence, science; not agenda. smh
Of course, but a lot of what is being touted as science is not aligned to data.

Reactions: duckpuck

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach

What is the accurate data? You don't seem to accept the John Hopkins figures that there have been more than 176,000 dead Americans in about six months. So what is you source and what is your data. Standing there saying what is considered the most accurate data base is wrong without explaining why and what is the accurate data is worthless.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What is the accurate data? You don't seem to accept the John Hopkins figures that there have been more than 176,000 dead Americans in about six months. So what is you source and what is your data. Standing there saying what is considered the most accurate data base is wrong without explaining why and what is the accurate data is worthless.
When did I not accept the Johns Hopkins death numbers? I don't know what to believe. Are deaths being reported accurately? When it becomes obvious to me that COVID has become political, I trust no one. I have seen polar opposite sides both citing "science" and "data" to bolster their positions. I'm not a puppet to either side, I question everything that we are being told.

Reactions: Dmang714

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Again, you're taking my comment and expanding it to something else. I was very specific in my comment and you quoted me. Zegras falls into the ages 15-24 bracket have a 99.832% survival rate as Zegras is 19 years old. My sharing of this data tells us the science to not make a hysteria of Zegras enjoying himself, though he should still be cautious. Your representation of science has nothing to do with my shared science.

Is that understood? Don't quote me and then expand that thought to other things, thus attributing my comment as "whatever fits the agenda in the case of COVID." Stick to my comment or create one on your own without including my comment so as to not disparage my comment nor its validity. What you're doing is stating that "the ages 15-24 bracket have a 99.832% survival rate" is false science, despite the fact I shared a link directly to the CDC site.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
When did I not accept the Johns Hopkins death numbers? I don't know what to believe. Are deaths being reported accurately? When it becomes obvious to me that COVID has become political, I trust no one. I have seen polar opposite sides both citing "science" and "data" to bolster their positions. I'm not a puppet to either side, I question everything that we are being told.

Bingo - "data" is only as good as the reporting methodology. What the US reports as a Covid death is different than other countries and, in fact, it varies from state to state and even county to county. For example, there are reports that people with covid dying in vehicle accidents are considered covid deaths. And it many cases, even when the data is "good," the conclusions and policy recommendations from the data are not always clear. For example, we can measure temperature very accurately ("data"), but even for those who agree there is man caused climate change, the correct policy for climate change is not "scientifically obvious."

I wear a mask anytime I leave my house. Not because I'm convinced it has any real benefit in most cases, but because the "cost" to me is minimal and it makes other people feel comfortable. Its a nice thing to do. And it some cases, when I'm actually in close proximity to people (e.g, shopping), then it does make sense.

For all the masking scolds in this thread, you need to realize that young people without comorbidities have virtually zero risk of having a serious covid (much less death). There is no reason they can't safely socialize in bubbles as long as they don't go around people who are older or at risk (i.e., stay away from grandparents). Young people are far more likely to die from suicide, drug abuse, auto accidents or even the "regular flu." And if you're at risk for (or in fear of) Covid, then stay away from people (all people).

Masking has become a political symbol. It is also a way for people who have fear (sometimes irrational/unreasonable) of COVID to demand that others validate their feelings.

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
We will all have Corona it will never go away 100%

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Bingo - "data" is only as good as the reporting methodology. What the US reports as a Covid death is different than other countries and, in fact, it varies from state to state and even county to county. For example, there are reports that people with covid dying in vehicle accidents are considered covid deaths. And it many cases, even when the data is "good," the conclusions and policy recommendations from the data are not always clear. For example, we can measure temperature very accurately ("data"), but even for those who agree there is man caused climate change, the correct policy for climate change is not "scientifically obvious."

I wear a mask anytime I leave my house. Not because I'm convinced it has any real benefit in most cases, but because the "cost" to me is minimal and it makes other people feel comfortable. Its a nice thing to do. And it some cases, when I'm actually in close proximity to people (e.g, shopping), then it does make sense.

For all the masking scolds in this thread, you need to realize that young people without comorbidities have virtually zero risk of having a serious covid (much less death). There is no reason they can't safely socialize in bubbles as long as they don't go around people who are older or at risk (i.e., stay away from grandparents). Young people are far more likely to die from suicide, drug abuse, auto accidents or even the "regular flu." And if you're at risk for (or in fear of) Covid, then stay away from people (all people).

Masking has become a political symbol. It is also a way for people who have fear (sometimes irrational/unreasonable) of COVID to demand that others validate their feelings.
This is just flat untrue when you have no idea what long term health implications Covid causes. There are several current studies showing organ damage, specifically to the heart, in patients who were asymptomatic. We simply do not have enough information yet to make such a claim.

If people want to risk that, fine I guess. Maybe in 20 years there will be a massive influx in heart disease and people will look back and regret not taking it more seriously.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Again, you're taking my comment and expanding it to something else. I was very specific in my comment and you quoted me. Zegras falls into the ages 15-24 bracket have a 99.832% survival rate as Zegras is 19 years old. My sharing of this data tells us the science to not make a hysteria of Zegras enjoying himself, though he should still be cautious. Your representation of science has nothing to do with my shared science.

Is that understood? Don't quote me and then expand that thought to other things, thus attributing my comment as "whatever fits the agenda in the case of COVID." Stick to my comment or create one on your own without including my comment so as to not disparage my comment nor its validity. What you're doing is stating that "the ages 15-24 bracket have a 99.832% survival rate" is false science, despite the fact I shared a link directly to the CDC site.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with the original post. I wasn't meaning to question the data in regards to age 15-24 survival rates. I was just making a general comment on how data is being misused. I agree with your sentiment, BTW.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
This is just flat untrue when you have no idea what long term health implications Covid causes. There are several current studies showing organ damage, specifically to the heart, in patients who were asymptomatic. We simply do not have enough information yet to make such a claim.

If people want to risk that, fine I guess. Maybe in 20 years there will be a massive influx in heart disease and people will look back and regret not taking it more seriously.

You don't know the long term impacts either. Yet you claim the data is clear. You are speculating and people beating this drum are imposing tremendous social costs they refuse to acknowledge. What are the long term impacts of sedentary lifestyles, isolation, depression, increased drug use, reduced educational opportunity, poverty (from not being able to work)?

And if the bolded statement were true, you wouldn't have been mask shaming Zegras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad