Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Realistically, longer than that, and I think we're going to experience a very bittersweet feeling. Even as we might see the infection rate go down, if we do things right, we're likely to see the rate of people passing go up for at least a week or two past that point. There is just that lag time. It's going to be really rough.

You stay safe too, man.
This month (April) will likely be the peak of the pandemic. Which is crazy to say considering how out of control March was. I just hope we get good news by the end of it showing the trends going in the right direction.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
That assumes that our measures are on track with Italy. I’m a bit more skeptical of that, especially across the country.

That will be the problem for you guys. Numbers are indeed encouraging in the last three days (despite the high death count) but consider we've been in an almost full lockdown for more than two weeks across all the country. USA would need that too...

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Josh Cooper and Shane O'Brien interviewed Dallas Eakins on the most recent episode of their Point Breakaway podcast. You can listen to it on The Athletic (if you're a subscriber) or Apple Podcasts (not sure if it's anywhere else).

I love listening to Eakins talk, sounds like a real inspirational guy, and O'Brien loved him. However, I can see why some players might get annoyed with his fitness demands, although I'm sure it used to be worse in EDM.

One interesting thing Eakins said was in response to Cooper's question about Zegras' creativity. Eakins said that during the WJC, a friend of his asked him if he would let Zegras make the special plays that he was attempting. Eakins just said, "You should only do that if you can." He said it in a way that praised Zegras, like he wouldn't want much of our roster to attempt those kinds of plays, but if you can do it, then do it.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
This month (April) will likely be the peak of the pandemic. Which is crazy to say considering how out of control March was. I just hope we get good news by the end of it showing the trends going in the right direction.

Out of all the years to rebuild, this is the best as we didnt go all-in for the cup. Playoffs sound very doubtful.

I hope peak hits in April, but it actually might be May now. Hopefully a warm summer helps out the situation and delays the spread a bit so we get some progress for the vaccine.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Out of all the years to rebuild, this is the best as we didnt go all-in for the cup. Playoffs sound very doubtful.

Best case scenario: finish the regular season in June in empty arenas. Playoffs in July and August potentially with some fans in arenas.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Best case scenario: finish the regular season in June in empty arenas. Playoffs in July and August potentially with some fans in arenas.
I don’t think it’s going to happen. I think best case scenario is the 2020-2021 season starting in October

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think best case scenario is we see hockey in 2020. Unfortunately there are still too many people that don’t understand the severity of the situation and it’s going to drag on for a long time.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think best case scenario is we see hockey in 2020. Unfortunately there are still too many people that don’t understand the severity of the situation and it’s going to drag on for a long time.

I agree. The other day I drove by a local park (I'm still seen as an essential worker) and there was a full fledged 5v5 pickup game going on with people waiting to play in NLA. Went to the grocery store and saw multiple young people holding hands and one girl literally said, "I don't care if people don't like it, I'm going to do what I'm going to do." A lot of young people literally don't care nor understand the potentially deadly impact that their decisions have.

Reactions: Paul4587

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

I hope peak hits in April, but it actually might be May now. Hopefully a warm summer helps out the situation and delays the spread a bit so we get some progress for the vaccine.

Sadly, it is unlikely that warm weather does anything against the virus as it has been spreading in countries that have warm weather currently.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Over here in Western Australia we're shutting the borders to the rest of the country from Sunday, only certain exceptions like truck drivers and emergency workers are allowed through, everyone else is being turned away. We've already been in regional lockdown for a few days with police monitoring each of the eight regional borders in the state here, $50k fine if you're caught outside of your residental region.

Have to admit our response here in WA has been pretty great so far given the low number of cases to date (granted the testing criteria is not the largest), at least we're using our isolation to our advantage somewhat. Certainly much stronger response then the rest of Australia which is comforting.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I agree. The other day I drove by a local park (I'm still seen as an essential worker) and there was a full fledged 5v5 pickup game going on with people waiting to play in NLA. Went to the grocery store and saw multiple young people holding hands and one girl literally said, "I don't care if people don't like it, I'm going to do what I'm going to do." A lot of young people literally don't care nor understand the potentially deadly impact that their decisions have.

Seen this too many times. Unfortunately, can't do much about it. Kids will be kids and not pay attention

Went for a walk around the local bike path yesterday and seen an old woman yelling from an SUV that people should be staying inside.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Are other organizations not doing this? That’s something I would expect all teams to be doing although when you have dirt bag owners like Melnyk and Jacobs nothing really surprises me.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Are other organizations not doing this? That’s something I would expect all teams to be doing although when you have dirt bag owners like Melnyk and Jacobs nothing really surprises me.

All teams agreed to at least pay the suspended home games/events. Buffalo and Boston are only gonna pay if the games get cancelled so since the NHL still has the season as "suspended" those employees aren't getting paid.

I know not all the teams are the actual employers of the arena staff so things get a little unclear who should foot the bill; I'm happy the Samuelis are setting the standard for the league on what should be done and don't need social media and the news to coax them into doing that like the Jets and Flames.

Reactions: Paul4587

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
From my family doctor in response to some questions that I emailed him. I don't really trust the mathematical models simply because there is a lack of sufficient data to make for accurate projects. However, it is something, and it is a little better news than I have seen elsewhere.

It is predicted that the case load will peak in CA on 4/28/2020. The mathematical models predict that we will not run out of hospital beds, ICU beds orventilators in this state. That is because we have flattened the curve in this state and presumes we continue social distancing.​

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
From my family doctor in response to some questions that I emailed him. I don't really trust the mathematical models simply because there is a lack of sufficient data to make for accurate projects. However, it is something, and it is a little better news than I have seen elsewhere.

It is predicted that the case load will peak in CA on 4/28/2020. The mathematical models predict that we will not run out of hospital beds, ICU beds orventilators in this state. That is because we have flattened the curve in this state and presumes we continue social distancing.​
That's huge if it's true. Which would mean most people listened and stayed away from others and inside

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
F2777B55-7AAB-4700-9634-7C53255F8E8A.jpeg

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
not sure if any Swede responded to the previous post but - what are your thoughts about your countries response? A hot topic right now

Reactions: Tiny Biggs
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So I’ve been home for a while since I’ve been laid off and damn. I miss actually doing stuff with friends and family.

Being home for days on end really drags you down. It’s like an odd depression funk. I attempted to try and cheer myself up by shooting the ball around at a local street hockey court just by myself and find the thing padlocked as if it’s holding a crown jewel. I got sad and left lol

Guess it’s back to the apartment to play PS4 again for the hundredth time :facepalm::facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad