Coronavirus in Football

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I want to say I can't believe they sent these athletes to the four corners of the earth and back during this pandemic, but I actually can believe it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I want to say I can't believe they sent these athletes to the four corners of the earth and back during this pandemic, but I actually can believe it.
Im not sure what organization I dislike more, FIFA or the NCAA. Not sure this is entirely on FIFA but I would like to think they would be able to stop these internationals for now.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
With the exception of the Euro play ins, none of these games mattered that i can think of?

(The nations league doesn’t count)

the AFCON matches were postponed correct?

Is South America playing their WC qualifiers?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Run for office with "I will allow 1 million Americans die so you can go to the mall again!"

See how that works.

These corona truthers also fail to understand that a lot of people don't want to go to the mall. Enough that the economy would crash regardless from lack of participation. There is basically nothing that anyone could do to get me in a crowded room where I could get a disease that would kill my mom. It's as simple as that. This is an extremely unhealthy country to begin with and there are a lot of people who have these problems.

Reactions: Juve and Halladay

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They should just think about canceling the Euros as I would be suprised if all the European leagues can finish by that time. Not like they will think about doing that though.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I honestly don’t see the Euros taking place, definitely not under the crazy format they plan on going ahead with. Only way is doing some sort of bubble with one venue like MLS did but that will be ultra difficult to organize

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
These corona truthers also fail to understand that a lot of people don't want to go to the mall. Enough that the economy would crash regardless from lack of participation. There is basically nothing that anyone could do to get me in a crowded room where I could get a disease that would kill my mom. It's as simple as that. This is an extremely unhealthy country to begin with and there are a lot of people who have these problems.
The fact that it’s an extremely unhealthy society to begin with is a bigger problem than this virus and the means that most countries are using to address the virus is making everyone more unhealthy, more stressed and more poor (which leads to a host of other problems). Especially since even the vast majority of people at risk still survive and suffer minor to no complications related to the virus. Again just look at the Canadian numbers it took to consider the country a hot spot. They’ve also already declared that most of the death figures are overestimated because they’re not attempting to distinguish the cause of death if someone tests positive for COVID.

This is pretty much a non issue for the athletes. They’ll go mingle and maybe some of them will get COVID and they’ll get a week or two paid vacation and go back to training after.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The fact that it’s an extremely unhealthy society to begin with is a bigger problem than this virus and the means that most countries are using to address the virus is making everyone more unhealthy, more stressed and more poor (which leads to a host of other problems). Especially since even the vast majority of people at risk still survive and suffer minor to no complications related to the virus. Again just look at the Canadian numbers it took to consider the country a hot spot. They’ve also already declared that most of the death figures are overestimated because they’re not attempting to distinguish the cause of death if someone tests positive for COVID.

This is pretty much a non issue for the athletes. They’ll go mingle and maybe some of them will get COVID and they’ll get a week or two paid vacation and go back to training after.

For them it most likely wont be a problem, but there was a study done by the CDC that the average human comes in contact with 36 people every two days. So sending these players around the continent/world where they might get it or already have it is only helping spread the virus. No real reason to have these international games, except maybe the qualifiers. The rest of them you are just causing more unnecessary risk.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

As one of the folks being forced to go back into a crowded room, I'm not quite happy. It's bonkers.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In my opinion, they're hoping that Euros and other finals can do a bubble tournament, make their revenue and move on. But to get there, they have to get to the point of being able to have teams qualified.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean they do have families..
So like most people the vast majority of their family will have the same experience, and the ones that are at risk shouldn’t be socializing with them anyway, right? At a certain point personal responsibility should be at play. You can control who you come into contact with for the most part.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So like most people the vast majority of their family will have the same experience, and the ones that are at risk shouldn’t be socializing with them anyway, right? At a certain point personal responsibility should be at play. You can control who you come into contact with for the most part.
What if you live with them? Most jobs arent requiring a lot of travel.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
tragic about Ronaldo
how many more athletes are gonna have to die of this for them to get a clue to shut it down and stay inside?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Who cares? it's not even club matches. This isn't March style lockdowns to suggest this break was stupid.

Take my eyes but not the Nations League!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Right which is the point. Sending their entire squad around the world, when several Serie A teams have had outbreaks, for international duty was extremely stupid.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. "They are only club matches", I thought you meant those were the only games he would miss......dumb assumption. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad