Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
With no sports being a thing has anyone tried watching esports?

League of legends is still playing professional games everyday and they are streamed on YouTube.

It's no hockey but it's something

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
About time.

Go buy/make and please wear your masks. Western authority finally coming around to what the Asians have known for years.

CDC official kinda semi recommending masks.

Leave this image if you don't think they are effective.

screenshot.png

Reactions: PromisedLand

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not looking for sympathy as I am young and very healthy, but I have a suspected case of COVID-19. The pain/pressure in my upper left lung is very uncomfortable, and the moderate shortness of breath is.. inconvenient. Telehealth told me to sit tight and monitor. Stay safe folks. I had been self isolating for a week before my symptoms, praying I didnt spread this to my coworkers.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Jojalu and Petrus

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Not looking for sympathy as I am young and very healthy, but I have a suspected case of COVID-19. The pain/pressure in my upper left lung is very uncomfortable, and the moderate shortness of breath is.. inconvenient. Telehealth told me to sit tight and monitor. Stay safe folks. I had been self isolating for a week before my symptoms, praying I didnt spread this to my coworkers.
Good luck. What did they say about getting an actual test. Because if they recommend to not get tested this is an example of how our gov lies to us.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
With yesterday's reduced list of essential services this will likely be the end for my engineering company. No one was paying even before they halted construction. Forget it now. And the wage subsidy won't apply to me because I was stupid enough to get my invoicing up to date in March so I can't show a reduction in revenue. My actual receivables are down 70% though (I checked).

It's hard for me to believe our government doesn't understand revenue doesn't mean squat in the services world where we aren't getting paid at point-of-sale. I imagine they purposely used this measuring stick so they can take care of all of the business forced to shut down while acting like they are taking care of everyone. I don't think my employees even know what's coming. And once any of them sue for constructive dismissal, it will be the end for me. Employment lawyers are working overtime all over radio and TV selling this idea to laid off people right now.

Not looking for sympathy, I'm in a better position than millions of suffering Canadians, I'm just sharing info.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
With yesterday's reduced list of essential services this will likely be the end for my engineering company. No one was paying even before they halted construction. Forget it now. And the wage subsidy won't apply to me because I was stupid enough to get my invoicing up to date in March so I can't show a reduction in revenue. My actual receivables are down 70% though (I checked).

It's hard for me to believe our government doesn't understand revenue doesn't mean squat in the services world where we aren't getting paid at point-of-sale. I imagine they purposely used this measuring stick so they can take care of all of the business forced to shut down while acting like they are taking care of everyone. I don't think my employees even know what's coming. And once any of them sue for constructive dismissal, it will be the end for me. Employment lawyers are working overtime all over radio and TV selling this idea to laid off people right now.

Not looking for sympathy, I'm in a better position than millions of suffering Canadians, I'm just sharing info.

Is there any chance for you to retool your company to make essential supplies?

This N95 mask shortage and border fight is about to get worse with the general public looking for those and the step down surgical masks.

Gloves, gowns, cleaning supplies, etc. Demand, worldwide, clearly exceeds supply.

?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You can bet the farm that we will from now on.

There was already a growing push back against the so-called global economy throughout the Western world. If not something like this, some event(s) was going to happen to tip the balances eventually. If you think about it, this has a chance of being the most peaceful way possible to reverse course. Other scenarios would almost certainly include civil war.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
About time.

Go buy/make and please wear your masks. Western authority finally coming around to what the Asians have known for years.

screenshot.png

Point taken.

Worth noting that the surgical masks used by the general public are not effective in protecting you FROM others.

However they are helpful in preventing you FROM INFECTING others. The droplets present in your cough or sneeze are collected in the mask with fewer being released in the air. Thereby reducing the risk of infecting others.

If folks think the mask protects them and they relax on their distancing and hand washing... it may be counter productive

Still, with the virus spread by so many asymptomatic folks.... seems like a no brainer to force cover your mouth with something.

Just hope it doesn’t lead to a further drain on top end masks as people search for the best.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So after this we will have lived through a depression. Right now we are in a depression. Everything is unknown. A guy tells his landlord, I don’t have the rent, and out the door he went. It was a business commercial property he was renting.

At this point today we don’t know how many small businesses have closed down. Insurance companies for restaurants are refusing to pay policy holders that think they have the language in their policies to cover for this. That is going to the courts. Them businesses might be few and far between when we get through this. ( closed down permanently)As this goes on and more job losses continue, there won’t be much money left for ordering out or any kind of extra for most people.

So be excellent to people as much as you can leafers, we are all in this together. We are all in a mini depression together. Keep sharp, keep healthy and chin up..

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
About time.

screenshot.png

This chart indicates use with social distancing and hand washing all together leafers. So in combination do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Wear a tyvek suit if you like . We don’t need someone to tell us that obvious thing as simple to understand as the effects of a mask would help you agains this thing.

I Pulled my guy out of school a week ahead of the school system shutting it down for example.i just though it better than waiting. Make your own decisions on wearing a mask.

I personally wear a George Thorogood “bad to the bone” bandana over my face for quite some time now. I wash it instantly when i get back home and put it on like its a common jacket now.

Hey, a new fashion trend maybe ;)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Point taken.

Worth noting that the surgical masks used by the general public are not effective in protecting you FROM others.

100% effective? Of course you're right. Better than no mask? Of course they are.

BTW, anyone who has used those disposable N95 face masks knows that it takes a tight fit on the face to work. They can be a nightmare to wear tightly for 8 hours. If you're working in a warm environment, the mask gets moist and can slip or distort, the elastic bands lose their tension. Air wants to find its easiest path and that often becomes under the mask instead of through it. I bet many wearing these masks wear them as surgical mask level protection in function with air passing back and forth through the natural gaps between the mask and the face.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

This N95 mask shortage and border fight is about to get worse with the general public looking for those and the step down surgical masks.

Gloves, gowns, cleaning supplies, etc. Demand, worldwide, clearly exceeds supply.

?

I'm not a manufacturer, just an engineer. I have clients that may do this though and it may keep a couple of them building still but it won't be enough to help me. We go where the business is and for the last 20 years the building boom has been commercial (box stores, banks, car dealerships, etc.), hospitality (hotels/restaurants) and residential. There simply isn't enough industrial/light industrial work to sustain me. Sad because when I started out in the early 90s, light industrial was probably 80% of what I worked on. I saw first hand how manufacturing dried up in Ontario.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
100% effective? Of course you're right. Better than no mask? Of course they are.

BTW, anyone who has used those disposable N95 face masks knows that it takes a tight fit on the face to work. They can be a nightmare to wear tightly for 8 hours. If you're working in a warm environment, the mask gets moist and can slip or distort, the elastic bands lose their tension. Air wants to find its easiest path and that often becomes under the mask instead of through it. I bet many wearing these masks wear them as surgical mask level protection in function with air passing back and forth through the natural gaps between the mask and the face.
I was remodeling my house a few years ago and those things were terrible when your sweating.

Reactions: JustAShadow

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Point taken.

However they are helpful in preventing you FROM INFECTING others. The droplets present in your cough or sneeze are collected in the mask with fewer being released in the air. Thereby reducing the risk of infecting others.

If folks think the mask protects them and they relax on their distancing and hand washing... it may be counter productive

Still, with the virus spread by so many asymptomatic folks.... seems like a no brainer to force cover your mouth with something.

Just hope it doesn’t lead to a further drain on top end masks as people search for the best.

My wife's a speech language pathologist and she was telling me this morning that part of her early training was about how droplets are unavoidable even during ordinary speech and they typically spread up to six feet from your face. So it's not just coughing and sneezing that's the problem. The 2m rule is critical because of this but yes, we likely should be wearing something. I may start today just to try to help more.

Reactions: Nineteen67

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

?
Engineering companies don't have machines to retool.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This chart indicates use with social distancing and hand washing all together leafers. So in combination do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Wear a tyvek suit if you like . We don’t need someone to tell us that obvious thing as simple to understand as the effects of a mask would help you agains this thing.

I Pulled my guy out of school a week ahead of the school system shutting it down for example.i just though it better than waiting. Make your own decisions on wearing a mask.

I personally wear a George Thorogood “bad to the bone” bandana over my face for quite some time now. I wash it instantly when i get back home and put it on like its a common jacket now.

Hey, a new fashion trend maybe ;)

It's not just hand washing and social distancing. The countries circled also did extreme screening, contact tracing and quarantining right from the start, something our federal government still refuses to do to this day. Just this morning I read about that flight evacuating travelers from Peru landing with a confirmed positive Covid-19 case and passengers stating they weren't screened at all. That is pure insanity.

When this is all over, there are going to be people to blame. We knew months ago from Italy what not to do and from Taiwan, South Korea, etc., what TO do and we didn't because...(insert whatever theory you have here because I sure as hell can't think of any reason why).

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's not just hand washing and social distancing. The countries circled also did extreme screening, contact tracing and quarantining right from the start, something our federal government still refuses to do to this day. Just this morning I read about that flight evacuating travelers from Peru landing with a confirmed positive Covid-19 case and passengers stating they weren't screened at all. That is pure insanity.

When this is all over, there are going to be people to blame. We knew months ago from Italy what not to do and from Taiwan, South Korea, etc., what TO do and we didn't because...(insert whatever theory you have here because I sure as hell can't think of any reason why).

I seen yesterday there are portable efficient/ quick results testing kits being developed and some are ready to ship. We are way behind this thing. Our self sufficiency and preparedness for something that was predictable and threatening enough as seen with Sars shouldn’t have happened.

I just wear a bandana, incase if I somehow come in contact with it that I don’t spread it to anyone else.. i checked last night online for mask manufacturers in canada. Dupont has masks but what was interesting was companies in other countries have the masks prices jacked up triple the price. Opportunistic bastards.

Hey our pharmacists are gouging people with Triple the dispensing fees right now and are getting away with it. They are not wise to F**k with people right now as flat out unethical lowlifes.

A pharmacy refused a asthmatic guy a three month’s prescription only offering a one month for supposed fear of their supply chain fulfilling their needs in the near future. He argued and recieved his 3 months but they charged him for three separate dispensing fees for each month for one dispensing.

I hate lowlifes like that. Stay safe

I don’t use the word hate loosely either ;)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Hey our pharmacists are gouging people with Triple the dispensing fees right now and are getting away with it. They are not wise to F**k with people right now as flat out unethical lowlifes.

I just got what is effectively a triple dispensing fee last week when I was only given a 1 month prescription renewal for a prescription that hasn't changed in 3 years. However I'm pretty sure my doc is to blame for it.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

The reason I think they didn't is they were hoping people would listen and stay home. I think the biggest reason they haven't done it is it would put the whole country into a panic. Look at the panic buying people were doing when they announced the schools were closing.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just got what is effectively a triple dispensing fee last week when I was only given a 1 month prescription renewal for something for a prescription that hasn't changed in 3 years. However I'm pretty sure my doc is to blame for it.
That’s wrong. You got hosed. Sorry you had to go through that. I don’t know your personal situation financially but for some people thats a hit and it’s disgusting they are doing it and getting away with it.
They are taking advantage of us at our lowest. Not sure a doctor mistake is at issue leafer. Not giving off a great odour on the sniff test lol

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That’s wrong. You got hosed. Sorry you had to go through that. I don’t know your personal situation financially but for some people thats a hit and it’s disgusting they are doing it and getting away with it.
They are taking advantage of us at our lowest. Not sure a doctor mistake is at issue leafer. Not giving off a great odour on the sniff test lol

It's not that much money ($40 per prescription renewal) so it's not worth the fuss and potential blowback from my pharmacy. I'm already on their bad books when I gave them a list of generic pharmaceutical companies I wouldn't accept prescriptions from (wanted prescriptions from Canadian companies of which there are many).

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There was already a growing push back against the so-called global economy throughout the Western world. If not something like this, some event(s) was going to happen to tip the balances eventually. If you think about it, this has a chance of being the most peaceful way possible to reverse course. Other scenarios would almost certainly include civil war.

It shouldn't be limited to medical supplies either. I would happily pay more for quality products made in Canada while supporting the Canadian economy.

The quality of Chinese products is junk for the most part anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad