Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
CDC rumored to be close to recommending masks for daily life. Just like Asian countries did from the beginning and as Asians do when sick.

So much for they don't work and last 5 mins which was obviously bs.

Never heard of a surgeon changing one every 5 mins during surgery.

I guess hang on to those masks if you didn't donate them

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Haven't followed any of this prior, but here's my take.

Yes, China should be held to acct after this - esp if it was transmission at wild animal mkt similar to SARS.
& no I don't trust their gov't/bureaucracy either. :)

US admin wasted time downplaying threat & saying that it was contained. That said, I think there are issues
with their healthcare system that delayed testing etc & now they're in this mess with hot spots.

Similarly, early on Cdn gov't didn't take int'l flights & border issues seriously. A missed opportunity? But
yes, like even the US they're making up for delayed response recently.

However, at provincial level think Ont has done a decent job. Testing & isolating early on. Closed schools early.
Toronto hasn't done too badly either.

(crossing fingers as you also have to be kinda lucky with how quickly this bug can spread)

Stay safe!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
CDC rumored to be close to recommending masks for daily life. Just like Asian countries did from the beginning and as Asians do when sick.

So much for they don't work and last 5 mins which was obviously bs.

Never heard of a surgeon changing one every 5 mins during surgery.

I guess hang on to those masks if you didn't donate them
Oh really eh. I had one of the boards self appointed doctors go in to a shaming post when i posted we could do that as citizens couple weeks back. I didn’t bother to respond then. Still couldn’t be bother now either. Why not if they can get enough and it doesn’t short the front line workers

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
People can walk around showing zero to ninor effects while having the virus for week/ 10,12,14 days.

It is not effecting every person the same way. Take your D3, get some fresh air and sunshine and enjoy the nicer weather everyone. Stay safe

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Oh really eh. I had one of the boards self appointed doctors go in to a shaming post when i posted we could do that as citizens couple weeks back. I didn’t bother to respond then. Still couldn’t be bother now either. Why not if they can get enough and it doesn’t short the front line workers

It's kind of weird hearing people support "don't wear masks" when what do you see all the hospital workers wearing? Obviously there aren't enough 95's to go around but if wearing anything at least helps prevent you from spraying other things if you cough or whatever, that's better than nothing.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's kind of weird hearing people support "don't wear masks" when what do you see all the hospital workers wearing? Obviously there aren't enough 95's to go around but if wearing anything at least helps prevent you from spraying other things if you cough or whatever, that's better than nothing.
Invincibility complex maybe but i think it’s also know it all complex too. I don’t get mad. Disappointed for sure

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I have a friend who lived in the region (not in China anymore, but he worked there for a while.) He seemed to think the death toll was much higher than we were being told because of this article:

China’s Mobile Carriers Lose 21 Million Users as Virus Bites

I suggested it could be more of a side effect of a poor economy, but I’m told that cell phones are dirt cheap there.

Reactions: dubey

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have a friend who lived in the region (not in China anymore, but he worked there for a while.) He seemed to think the death toll was much higher than we were being told because of this article:

China’s Mobile Carriers Lose 21 Million Users as Virus Bites

I suggested it could be more of a side effect of a poor economy, but I’m told that cell phones are dirt cheap there.

If the cell phones are dirt cheap then chances are one person might have 2 cell phones (business, personal, family....); may be the person cancels the business cell phones and also cancels the phones for their kid(s)/spouse due to financial crunch during the lock down.

Given the population of China 21 million is not that high......

Are these 21 million exclusively in Wuhan? or all over China?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Ok it's nice to have a thread about this crisis without politics. This should be an informative and positive thread.

I stopped checking the other one because it was useless.

That's interesting to hear about the face masks. I'm still working (Walmart produce) and have an N95 mask and would like to wear it along with my non-latex gloves, but don't wan't to be "that" guy.

Although a fellow associate in my department wore one a few nights ago and the manager told him it wasn't allowed because it's not on the list of PPE items. He wore it anyway and really what's she going to do about it?

Anyway, everyone stay safe, practice physical distance, wash hands, wipe down your door knobs, tell your granparents or aunts/uncles etc to stay home and go get them their groceries.

Just be smart. Go for a walk (especially right now it's gorgeous outside and t-shirt temperature in the GTA)

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
If the cell phones are dirt cheap then chances are one person might have 2 cell phones (business, personal, family....); may be the person cancels the business cell phones and also cancels the phones for their kid(s)/spouse due to financial crunch during the lock down.

Given the population of China 21 million is not that high......

Are these 21 million exclusively in Wuhan? or all over China?

Seems to be all of China. I also think there are probably a lot of people working/visiting China who had phones, then got the hell out once things started getting crazy. Still though, makes you wonder how little we know/will ever know about this thing.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
It's a social thing in North America. Wearing masks was very common even pre covid 19 in Asia. Even here if you go to heavily Asian populated areas you'll see some Asians wear masks pre covid. Masks helped curb the spread in Asia, I don't expect our curve to be the same here since socially we are very different

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Just watch a bunch of celebs sing imagine, worst thing I've seen in awhile. The celebrities look dead in the eyes and acting like they are on withdrawals. Probably from the Adrenochrome supply stopping so suddenly.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
People were out this afternoon... it was madness

Attachments

• 0A0EE9B8-6802-4600-9C21-523FECC05CA0.jpeg
    0A0EE9B8-6802-4600-9C21-523FECC05CA0.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 9

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All it took was a 16-degree day for the morons among us to walk in clusters along the harbourfront. I get its tough to socially distance but people really lack discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad