Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Mental health is a thing. People spend their whole lives savings and preparing for retirement. People losing everything (financially) will be demoralized and despaired and there will be suicides as a result. Who knows, maybe a lot more than people will die of Covid-19.

BTW: at the end of all of this, we will have comparisons to make to see if it was all worth it. E.g., Sweden isn't shutting down:

Why is Sweden staying open amid the coronavirus pandemic?

It will be interesting to see if that was a massive mistake or a great decision.

It is why Trump said he did not want the cure to be worse than the problem a few weeks ago. Changed his tune now saying American lives is his #1 priority but I bet it is a lie.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
As I said if one's existence is solely around money it will be difficult.

Society does change perhaps it needs a push for that change.

It's not binary. Financial health is an important part of just about everyone's life. That doesn't mean we're solely about money. Come on.

Reactions: Petrus

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So, in the interests of getting the economy up and running again... are you two immortals volunteering to get infected with the virus and be subject to medical testing?

Pookie. I don't believe that you are researching this topic to the best of your ability. I hope not, but believe you are ignoring the debate coming out of the medical community to the extent that it's making the possibility of having a civil conversation, difficult at best. Chloroquine has multiple doctors saying it's over 90% effective or better with Azithromyacin (Zpack) and Zinc, especially if administered early, good enough for me. When Italy states 10k deaths and a doctor says it's probably more like 1.2k, they are backwards and they are not credible yet, you are asking us to take all this at face value? I have no problem if the medication is available at first signs of problem because I know that destroying the economy and small business will cause more death, Wars etc than any influenza ever will. This is NOT Swine Flu, it is not EBOLA . Fauci himself said Covid19 is basically merely a bad influenza strain in the New England Scientific Journal.

Furthermore... in 2018 there was nasty Influenza, it went around and ... I had it, was a week where I could hardly breathe. Look at the numbers from that season and after I will tell you a tail about battling a real killer.

Even still, high early-season vaccination rates and a relatively effective annual vaccine appeared to help suppress illnesses. In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.
This Past Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, the CDC Says

In 2009 there was a bad version of SARS... Guess what I am going to say.. I had a multiple month anguishing battle with Pneumonia and multiple rounds of Anti biotics and my heart went faint. I beat it, and I would risk it all again to maintain our way of life. We do our best to protect the elderly and vulnerable. If we don't protect our way of life, we will not be able to protect anyone BUT OURSELVES, NO SAFETY NETS LEFT IN PLACE. I sure hope you don't advocate for this all descending into chaos because when those Americans start to starve, they are going to start shooting each other in the streets and that's overflowing here too.

Reactions: mmalady

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Pookie. I don't believe that you are researching this topic to the best of your ability. I hope not, but believe you are ignoring the debate coming out of the medical community to the extent that it's making the possibility of having a civil conversation, difficult at best. Chloroquine has multiple doctors saying it's over 90% effective or better with Azithromyacin (Zpack) and Zinc, especially if administered early, good enough for me. When Italy states 10k deaths and a doctor says it's probably more like 1.2k, they are backwards and they are not credible yet, you are asking us to take all this at face value? I have no problem if the medication is available at first signs of problem because I know that destroying the economy and small business will cause more death, Wars etc than any influenza ever will. This is NOT Swine Flu, it is not EBOLA . Fauci himself said Covid19 is basically merely a bad influenza strain in the New England Scientific Journal.

Furthermore... in 2018 there was nasty Influenza, it went around and ... I had it, was a week where I could hardly breathe. Look at the numbers from that season and after I will tell you a tail about battling a real killer.

Even still, high early-season vaccination rates and a relatively effective annual vaccine appeared to help suppress illnesses. In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.
This Past Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, the CDC Says

In 2009 there was a bad version of SARS... Guess what I am going to say.. I had a multiple month anguishing battle with Pneumonia and multiple rounds of Anti biotics and my heart went faint. I beat it, and I would risk it all again to maintain our way of life. We do our best to protect the elderly and vulnerable. If we don't protect our way of life, we will not be able to protect anyone BUT OURSELVES, NO SAFETY NETS LEFT IN PLACE. I sure hope you don't advocate for this all descending into chaos because when those Americans start to starve, they are going to start shooting each other in the streets and that's overflowing here too.
Why is Fauci now saying that he doesn't understand why every state doesn't enforce a stay at home order?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why is Fauci now saying that he doesn't understand why every state doesn't enforce a stay at home order?

Ask him. Ask the other doctors who disagree as well. Have a good old fashioned debate about it. That's all I want, just tired of the fear mongering and unsubstantiated claims. Do you know what Ford said yesterday? He said something like terrible news to give tomorrow, keeps him up at night. I had to deal with someone in a freaking panic because he said that. The suspense raised anxiety, I mean come the heck on, they are treating this whole thing like a YoYo and a joke.

It's a killer
It's a war
STAY HOME
It only kills old people or the sick
1% Mortality or less and of that mostly people that already not well
Chloroquine is good for it
Chloroquine is not proven
Wear a mask
Don't wear a mask
It's airborne
Public transportation is fine in close quarters without protection

Have the GOVs lost their collective minds? This is all MORONIC. Protect the vulnerable!

Reactions: mmalady

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ask him. Ask the other doctors who disagree as well. Have a good old fashioned debate about it. That's all I want, just tired of the fear mongering and unsubstantiated claims. Do you know what Ford said yesterday? He said something like terrible news to give tomorrow, keeps him up at night. I had to deal with someone in a freaking panic because he said that. The suspense raised anxiety, I mean come the heck on, they are treating this whole thing like a YoYo and a joke.

It's a killer
It's a war
STAY HOME
Wear a mask
Don't wear a mask
It's airborne

Have the GOVs lost their collective minds? This is all MORONIC. Protect the vulnerable!
Maybe, Fauci realized the actual severity of this situation and changed his stance accordingly. Its funny that you quote someone saying that it is not a major issue when literally yesterday he essentially states he thinks everyone should be forced to stay in doors.

You've been extremely bias throughout this entire situation, and clearly have an agenda.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Maybe, Fauci realized the actual severity of this situation and changed his stance accordingly. Its funny that you quote someone saying that it is not a major issue when literally yesterday he essentially states he thinks everyone should be forced to stay in doors.

You've been extremely bias throughout this entire situation, and clearly have an agenda.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2"

Any reasonable person of sound mind can see that what you just wrote in an effort to attack me is shallow at best. Especially love the part where you skip over the MORONIC actions of GOVs regarding safety and transportation.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No. Are you? You do understand if they swab you and you have something in your sinus' that it does not mean you are infected. You can breathe in asbestos in your nose, have it lodged and found by a scrape but not immediately jump to the conclusion you have cancer or will get it. We have immune systems, we breathe in 100000000000's of bacteria and virus, dust dander and mites, fungus all freaking day long. The only way to tell is a blood test, that is it. Tell me how the magic 5min or 1hr test works at the blood level? Tell me the science, I know you can't because it's freaking BS.

Your entire post took more leaps than Lanny Poffo. Try re-reading it. You sounded like a chicken with its head cut off jumping from one thought to another, most of it with no relationship to the other.

I don't know what they switched up, I only caught part of it because I was driving very early in the morning between logging 16+ hour days and caught a blurb of it on the radio. I have no idea if it is more standard practice or process they were changing or maybe it has links to the AI program a local university has in place? I know that is/was being worked through at the Federal level but not sure where it currently stands because some of us are quite busy right now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Your entire post took more leaps than Lanny Poffo. Try re-reading it. You sounded like a chicken with its head cut off jumping from one thought to another, most of it with no relationship to the other.

I don't know what they switched up, I only caught part of it because I was driving very early in the morning between logging 16+ hour days and caught a blurb of it on the radio. I have no idea if it is more standard practice or process they were changing or maybe it has links to the AI program a local university has in place? I know that is/was being worked through at the Federal level but not sure where it currently stands because some of us are quite busy right now.

Does this sound familiar?

Ignore links to Doctors and reports provided by poster
Ignore discussion with any counter evidence
Create own narratives, hypothetical and postulate along the way
Attack OP by any means and asserting that OP links are discredited because of the OP linking them.

Not fooling anyone.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2"

Any reasonable person of sound mind can see that what you just wrote in an effort to attack me is shallow at best. Especially love the part where you skip over the MORONIC actions of GOVs regarding safety and transportation.
You being serious right now lol?

It has been known for months that COVID will not have a fatality rate as high of SARS and MERS. Thanks for the new riveting information. That doesn't make it less serious though which is what youre implying from this single statement...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No. Are you? You do understand if they swab you and you have something in your sinus' that it does not mean you are infected. You can breathe in asbestos in your nose, have it lodged and found by a scrape but not immediately jump to the conclusion you have cancer or will get it. We have immune systems, we breathe in 100000000000's of bacteria and virus, dust dander and mites, fungus all freaking day long. The only way to tell is a blood test, that is it. Tell me how the magic 5min or 1hr test works at the blood level? Tell me the science, I know you can't because it's freaking BS.

The Coronavirus test is NOT a blood test its a salivi test.

The disease is highly contagious because its spreading through saliva, when people cough or sneeze, and others come in contact with that.

You suave the inside of the nose or mouth and have it analyzed, for signs of the virus.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Coronavirus test is NOT a blood test its a salivi test.

The disease is highly contagious because its spreading through saliva, when people cough or sneeze, and others come in contact with that.

You suave the inside of the nose or mouth and have it analyzed, for signs of the virus.

But there are 40 mutations of this virus Mess. How do you know you have Covid19 from a 5min test as they are saying in the US or 1hr test? If you can shed some light how to scientifically test for the common cold and variations down to isolating this particular mutating strain into 5min or 1hr test, please tell me.

Saliva and Mucus is fine, in a lab. I have no issues with this but I saw something on TV where they said 80% of the Chinese test kits were false positives. I mean, is this for real?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
True.

I am expecting a number between 80,000 to 150,000 deaths in a worst case scenario for Ontario.

And maybe a shortage of up to 5,000 hospital beds at any given time.

Sobering numbers but again... worst case not guaranteed case.

Your numbers seem awfully high when you compare it USA who have 100,000 - 240,000 projections based on +340 mil population.

upload_2020-4-3_7-39-40.jpeg

That speculative number for all of Canada not just Ontario in comparison to the USA and populations would even seem high.

The US projections would have to be off by a far margin as understated.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

It's a killer
It's a war
STAY HOME
Wear a mask
Don't wear a mask
It's airborne

Ford needs to be careful with what he says today. My daughter called me last night in an anxiety panicked state and she is a professional but struggles at times with depression. I needed to give her a big hug because I know in past it works. But we can't now. So she had to suffer last night until I got her prescription filled this morning. I am sure there are others out there too who struggle with anxiety and if da message today is TOO STARK it will cause issues for some of us. I hear some of you saying we need to be harsh about it to scare people. Well maybe it would help most but it won't help all of us. Going into a weekend freaked out with anxiety is not healthy either.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It's a killer
It's a war
STAY HOME
Wear a mask
Don't wear a mask
It's airborne

The issue is that there are many stories emerging of younger people succumbing to this virus with no known pre-existing conditions. So who exactly are the vulnerable?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You being serious right now lol?

It has been known for months that COVID will not have a fatality rate as high of SARS and MERS. Thanks for the new riveting information. That doesn't make it less serious though which is what youre implying from this single statement...

I will be more serious because you never address what I say and simply spin things as though you're a GOV employee or appealing to authority. Right now, looking at the GOV of Canada and Ontario's actions regarding the vulnerable people, I would say the question of, should they be held accountable in a court of law, or are they criminally negligent should be asked.

-Health care workers that work with the elderly did not need protective gear (for long after the high risk groups were identified)
-Social Distance but protective gear not required on public transportation, so people are cramming together.
-Nursing homes not quarantined for their safety
-Air Travel not shut down for entire country

By the end of this they will need to admit incompetence at the very least, but it won't bring the vulnerable people that die back to life. The above list is just the tip of the iceberg, especially once you factor in the loss of standard of living, jobs etc that are about to take place. Explain it all to the people that will lose their homes and have to use a foodbank to feed their kids.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Your numbers seem awfully high when you compare it USA who have 100,000 - 240,000 projections based on +340 mil population.

View attachment 340259

That speculative number for all of Canada not just Ontario in comparison to the USA and populations would even seem high.

The US numbers seem to indicate a best case scenario, Pookie mentions his as a worst case.

IIRC the US' worst case is something like 1.5-2 million deaths.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

View attachment 340259

That’s their best case. Worst case is +1 million

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ford needs to be careful with what he says today. My daughter called me last night in an anxiety panicked state and she is a professional but struggles at times with depression. I needed to give her a big hug because I know in past it works. But we can't now. So she had to suffer last night until I got her prescription filled this morning. I am sure there are others out there too who struggle with anxiety and if da message today is TOO STARK it will cause issues for some of us. I hear some of you saying we need to be harsh about it to scare people. Well maybe it would help most but it won't help all of us. Going into a weekend freaked out with anxiety is not healthy either.

What Ford said yesterday and the way he said it, was completely out of line. It was nasty and on the same level psychological abuse IMHO. I did not appreciate or the genuine fear and anxiety as a result I had to witness due to his actions. If it will now be the policy of our GOV to terrorize the populace, the Social Contract is rendered NULL AND VOID.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

There is no one message that will be ideal for everyone, In general though I think truth is good. And what Ford said yesterday is IMHO way down the list of things that might cause anxiety these days. I feel for you and your daughter though, I have a family member who struggles with depression and anxiety so I can imagine what you're going through and it's not fun at all. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad