Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How can you possibly respond to what was written with “wealth over health”?

I feel like you misinterpreted this really really poorly. I work in the field. I am saying that the scenario is much more complicated than.

“Shutdown until it’s over” it might not be over for 2 years. Society will collapse. I am talking about how we need workers to have a healthy society and fund healthcare.

even with the economy as it is. We are incredibly under staffed. Because we don’t have funding. There comes a limit to society when it breaks down. I clearly hope we don’t get there. But to act like shutting down it’s a simple decision is just insane.

Yeah just keep going like normal until every one dies sure. You ride that merry go round dude. I’ll stay home and help this thing pass

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah just keep going like normal until every one dies sure. You ride that merry go round dude. I’ll stay home and help this thing pass

well I actually can’t stay home. If you read it. I think you really need to work on reading.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
That was a really good video. He laid out his thesis really well regarding the source and the rumours floating around in China. Assuming the information he presented is true, it's fairly convincing that the source is a specific lab and a specific researcher.

It's at least a reasonable hypothesis, assuming his translation is accurate, though he is fluent and his regular material (at least what I have seen) is never usually conspiratorial, so I thought it interesting.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
How the heck can they test for a freaking little virus in 1hr. I heard on the News yesterday, they are working on a 5min test. This has got to be impossible, same with a vaccination for a mutating virus. If someone can explain how they are going to cure the common cold (Corona Virus) please tell me now, how this was not done decades ago. I mean, you can't make this stuff up!
Are you high?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Once it kills off the the fat with diabetes, old and already feeble the curve will flatten itself. This thing is nothing more than really bad influenza that just so happens to be riding riding shotgun to a Global financial collapse.
Exactly, but most in here can't see forest for the trees. The Quarantine LARP'ers must save 50 000 weak, old people from the sniffles and shut everything down. Sure millions of healthy people may die because of the economic crash but it's worth it right?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are you high?

No. Are you? You do understand if they swab you and you have something in your sinus' that it does not mean you are infected. You can breathe in asbestos in your nose, have it lodged and found by a scrape but not immediately jump to the conclusion you have cancer or will get it. We have immune systems, we breathe in 100000000000's of bacteria and virus, dust dander and mites, fungus all freaking day long. The only way to tell is a blood test, that is it. Tell me how the magic 5min or 1hr test works at the blood level? Tell me the science, I know you can't because it's freaking BS.

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Exactly, but most in here can't see forest for the trees. The Quarantine LARP'ers must save 50 000 weak, old people from the sniffles and shut everything down. Sure millions of healthy people may die because of the economic crash but it's worth it right?

If that is the objective you want to achieve, crashing the economy is a better option since it will kill people who are foolish with their finances, high blood pressure, old and weak. It will even cleanse us of poorly run companies.

Reactions: Lauro

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Once it kills off the the fat with diabetes, old and already feeble the curve will flatten itself. This thing is nothing more than really bad influenza that just so happens to be riding riding shotgun to a Global financial collapse.

So, in the interests of getting the economy up and running again... are you two immortals volunteering to get infected with the virus and be subject to medical testing?

Reactions: Petrus

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
If that is the objective you want to achieve, crashing the economy is a better option since it will kill people who are foolish with their finances, high blood pressure, old and weak. It will even cleanse us of poorly run companies.
I couldn't care less about the economy personally, I have lots of things to barter if it comes down to it (goats, chickens, rabbits, fruits, veggies, nuts, milk, and honey). I've been quarantining long before the LARP'ers decided it was the "right thing to do". I would hate to see people with depression, stress, anxiety, ptsd commit suicide because of it. But regardless of what happens with the economy, the real victims will be the ones to take the vaccine for this common seasonal cold. History will repeat itself, there's nothing new under the sun.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
We've carefully constructed regulations/recommendations regarding staying 2m apart in all places except public transportation. Shouldn't everyone on public transportation be required to wear masks and gloves?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Just sayin', this is going to rid us of a lot of companies whether they were poorly run or not. My company has been successfully operating for almost 20 years now and I have no idea how this is going to pan out. Not having money come in is not something I can sustain for months unless I feel like pouring my own money into it which of course would ruin me both personally and corporately. Combine that with the market crash and I've basically been a nervous wreck for a month now.

All that and my company isn't even one of the ones forced to shut down. I can only imagine what restaurants, etc., are going through right now.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just sayin', this is going to rid us of a lot of companies whether they were poorly run or not. My company has been successfully operating for almost 20 years now and I have no idea how this is going to pan out. Not having money come in is not something I can sustain for months unless I feel like pouring my own money into it which of course would ruin me both personally and corporately. Combine that with the market crash and I've basically been a nervous wreck for a month now.

All that and my company isn't even one of the ones forced to shut down. I can only imagine what restaurants, etc., are going through right now.

As long as food is grown, and energy is available (both will be) we have enough resources to keep everyone alive and well in this country, other than overwhelming the health care system where everyone with any health issue will be impacted.

Now if your existence is based on how much money you have times will be difficult.

The exchange of money doesn't change the reality of the planet.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Good thoughts.

Pookie - In the future, I will be paying more attention to your hockey posts.

I am trying to figure out how Pookie can be so level headed and informed during this, and so wrong about so many things hockey related.

Reactions: Lauro and Rogie

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

Hey Bro, I feel you. I cannot give you any insight. I can only share this: I permanently shut down my retail and service store. It will not open again.
It is a decision that had to be made and 4 really competent hard working people lost their jobs.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
As long as food is grown, and energy is available (both will be) we have enough resources to keep everyone alive and well in this country, other than overwhelming the health care system where everyone with any health issue will be impacted.

Now if your existence is based on how much money you have times will be difficult.

The exchange of money doesn't change the reality of the planet.

Mental health is a thing. People spend their whole lives savings and preparing for retirement. People losing everything (financially) will be demoralized and despaired and there will be suicides as a result. Who knows, maybe a lot more than people will die of Covid-19.

BTW: at the end of all of this, we will have comparisons to make to see if it was all worth it. E.g., Sweden isn't shutting down:

Why is Sweden staying open amid the coronavirus pandemic?

It will be interesting to see if that was a massive mistake or a great decision.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Hey Bro, I feel you. I cannot give you any insight. I can only share this: I permanently shut down my retail and service store. It will not open again.
It is a decision that had to be made and 4 really competent hard working people lost their jobs.

Sorry to hear it. I hope you weather this personally at least.

Reactions: Petrus

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I am trying to figure out how Pookie can be so level headed and informed during this, and so wrong about so many things hockey related.

Thanks... I think ;)

Truth be told, I just think people are vested in their hockey views and with some exceptions... hockey interactions are less open to data that challenges them to alter their views.

Take Coaching and impact. When Babcock took over, I said that a healthy, talented roster would be what turns this around... not a tactic. And was called an idiot for not thinking that a coach like Babcock could have an impact.

I highlighted the exact same about Keefe. And was called a Babcock fan. Which makes absolutely no sense but whomever is reading that isn’t taking the time to digest it, think or offer an alternative view.

On this topic, people are open to discussion. We are forming our opinions. We are learning. We realize it’s serious (some of us) so we take the time to really read and understand what each other is saying.

I’m loving the economic discussions going on in these threads. Really insightful stuff. As are discussions around supply chain and science of the virus.

In hockey threads we are too quick to want to score personal points and a very vocal part of these boards post with an “I am right and you are an idiot” mindset.

Hopefully this thread helps people to get to know each other a little better.

Reactions: Rogie and Jojalu

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mental health is a thing. People spend their whole lives savings and preparing for retirement. People losing everything (financially) will be demoralized and despaired and there will be suicides as a result. Who knows, maybe a lot more than people will die of Covid-19.

BTW: at the end of all of this, we will have comparisons to make to see if it was all worth it. E.g., Sweden isn't shutting down:

Why is Sweden staying open amid the coronavirus pandemic?

It will be interesting to see if that was a massive mistake or a great decision.

As I said if one's existence is solely around money it will be difficult.

Society does change perhaps it needs a push for that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad