Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I assume yourre elderly or immune compromised? If us healthy people keep our distance from the compromised folks this won’t be a huge issue.
No I’m a young 55 actually. Just knowing that there are compromised people out there that we should always care for by being smart about this and courteous for others health. Kind of just assume someone could be compromised and allow their space to them. There is no way of recognition of visually recognizing them. I just think having a awareness that they are out there and be thoughtful in allowing space is cool.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah that's why as guy above mentioned more important is to look at hospital cases and deaths as those are real solid numbers ... but of course TV and media too focused on new cases which as you say have quite a large error factor and testing quantity factor in them to be reliable ... i look at deaths and we are down from roughly 200 a day in early May to around 50 now so i think that shows we are on da downward slope of new infections ... in Canada we are now projected to have less than 8,500 deaths which is terrible for all those families affected RIP but much better than early numbers which showed us losing 11,000 people on da low end ...
The media is tired of reporting it is what it seems to me ha. Dumba$$es. Yes the dollar signs in there were intentional:)

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah that's why as guy above mentioned more important is to look at hospital cases and deaths as those are real solid numbers ... but of course TV and media too focused on new cases which as you say have quite a large error factor and testing quantity factor in them to be reliable ... i look at deaths and we are down from roughly 200 a day in early May to around 50 now so i think that shows we are on da downward slope of new infections ... in Canada we are now projected to have less than 8,500 deaths which is terrible for all those families affected RIP but much better than early numbers which showed us losing 11,000 people on da low end ...

As we watch Texas,, Florida and Arizona's hospitalizations quickly rise, we should be better prepared not to let that happen here.

The above poster is very correct. Ontario down to about 400 hospitalized. We were at 1400 a month ago.

Although it sucks, it seems a more conservative approach to re opening might be beneficial for Canada long term. It will be prudent for us to have a strict border until our ability to test and trace everyone coming in is much better.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
The thing that concerns me the most is the lasting damage the virus can do to survivors. The ongoing complications that a large percentage of survivors of SARS and MERS are still experiencing should give anyone pause who thinks that being young and healthy is get out of lockdown free card. Getting even mildly sick from this could impact your future quality and life and lifespan.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
No I’m a young 55 actually. Just knowing that there are compromised people out there that we should always care for by being smart about this and courteous for others health. Kind of just assume someone could be compromised and allow their space to them. There is no way of recognition of visually recognizing them. I just think having a awareness that they are out there and be thoughtful in allowing space is cool.

Yup. Like I previously said social distancing the elderly is important. If someone is younger and immune compromised they need to take responsibility on the social distancing and to let others around know. They are probably the most affected and hindered for the time being. If you’re healthy it’s a different story. Life outside of the city is back to normal for the most part.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yup. Like I previously said social distancing the elderly is important. If someone is younger and immune compromised they need to take responsibility on the social distancing and to let others around know. They are probably the most affected and hindered for the time being. If you’re healthy it’s a different story. Life outside of the city is back to normal for the most part.
Taking on some added responsibility of caring for others health is likely best expressed as a act of compassion for others rather than a hinderance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As we watch Texas,, Florida and Arizona's hospitalizations quickly rise, we should be better prepared not to let that happen here.

The above poster is very correct. Ontario down to about 400 hospitalized. We were at 1400 a month ago.

Although it sucks, it seems a more conservative approach to re opening might be beneficial for Canada long term. It will be prudent for us to have a strict border until our ability to test and trace everyone coming in is much better.
I am feeling better about contact tracing now. My dad came back from Naples for a cancer treatment and he listed me as guy who was picking him up at airport and help him out with groceries and medicine delivery. Well guess what I got a call from Peel Health asking me what my relationship was, if I felt ill, if I was tested for COVID19 and if my dad was feeling sick with flu like symptoms. So that was encouraging to see form he filled out on plane actually in motion. There are people actually working on this seriously. I think early on we took it as a joke with people coming from States. When my mom and dad drove back in week before border closed there was none of that going on. I think hundreds of thousands came back from States with no questions even asked.

Reactions: Jojalu

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Beijing went 2 months with no cases, now 137 yesterday

Just goes to show that we're a long way from getting through this.

In Canada and Ontario we've positioned ourselves well to minimize the impact of a second wave but these efforts needs to be maintained. The US is utterly screwed through.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Just goes to show that we're a long way from getting through this.

In Canada and Ontario we've positioned ourselves well to minimize the impact of a second wave but these efforts needs to be maintained. The US is utterly screwed through.

Yes and yes.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Beijing went 2 months with no cases, now 137 yesterday

China hasn't tried to accurately report covid19 deaths since February, even then it was bs. Do we really believe China has less deaths than Canada? What a pathetic lie..

China has around 3.5 times the population of America and the US counts are much higher than 120k...
The death counts are far worse than any government will admit or allow information for.

Not Spanish flu territory but I'd say we're closer to 1mil global deaths than 500k.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I recently read that ~ 97% of the SSE were transmitted indoors.
Many experts are saying from CDC to doc on CP24 that you are much less likely to catch it outdoors. So I guess you believe what you want. I have no idea but you got to rely on someone right? When I look at all these BLM rallies in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto recently there seems to be no negative impact on cases. But I guess mostly youngins so probably not a good indicator.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
China hasn't tried to accurately report covid19 deaths since February, even then it was bs. Do we really believe China has less deaths than Canada? What a pathetic lie..

China has around 3.5 times the population of America and the US counts are much higher than 120k...
The death counts are far worse than any government will admit or allow information for.

Not Spanish flu territory but I'd say we're closer to 1mil global deaths than 500k.
So so true ... I believe nothing from those communists ... they stopped reporting deaths because it was looking bad for their recovery ... then we learned that use of furnaces in Wuhan to burn bodies was many times higher than reported deaths ... Although my guy in shanghai says most everything is running normally again and people are no longer housebound so things have returned to normal there ... almost everyone wears facemasks now but most did before COVID anywho

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Many experts are saying from CDC to doc on CP24 that you are much less likely to catch it outdoors. So I guess you believe what you want. I have no idea but you got to rely on someone right? When I look at all these BLM rallies in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto recently there seems to be no negative impact on cases. But I guess mostly youngins so probably not a good indicator.
Also, there was a new study in Italy that I looked at yesterday that claims 70% of the cases under the age of 60 are asymptomatic. Some studies indicate they can’t spread it either.
We also know from earlier studies on serology testing that some fight it off early and don’t create any antibodies.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also, there was a new study in Italy that I looked at yesterday that claims 70% of the cases under the age of 60 are asymptomatic. Some studies indicate they can’t spread it either.
We also know from earlier studies on serology testing that some fight it off early and don’t create any antibodies.
Disagree on the asymptotic, they say those are the people that are concerning

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Still no significant increases due to BLM protests.
The States there is but specifics on transmission aren’t being publicized specifically. So thats a generalized statement on nothing to substantiate it. Kind of no?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Same with the numbers out of Russia. They show about 10% of the "death rate" that other countries show.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The States there is but specifics on transmission aren’t being publicized specifically. So thats a generalized statement on nothing to substantiate it. Kind of no?
Comparing the States to Canada is like comparing apples to oranges.

No need for a straw man.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So so true ... I believe nothing from those communists ... they stopped reporting deaths because it was looking bad for their recovery ... then we learned that use of furnaces in Wuhan to burn bodies was many times higher than reported deaths ... Although my guy in shanghai says most everything is running normally again and people are no longer housebound so things have returned to normal there ... almost everyone wears facemasks now but most did before COVID anywho
Someone posted on Twitter about how many cell phones accounts were deleted in Feb or Mar from one of China leading mobile company. And stated something like in order to register a cell phone account, you need ID and stuff, which was concluded the deleted accounts would most likely means numbers of deaths during that time...can’t really fact checked any of that but it was an interesting conspiracy.
One thing my friends in the East said is the fact that a lot of deaths in Wuhan and surrounding areas were just grouped as natural death instead of COVID during the early stage.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Someone posted on Twitter about how many cell phones accounts were deleted in Feb or Mar from one of China leading mobile company. And stated something like in order to register a cell phone account, you need ID and stuff, which was concluded the deleted accounts would most likely means numbers of deaths during that time...can’t really fact checked any of that but it was an interesting conspiracy.
One thing my friends in the East said is the fact that a lot of deaths in Wuhan and surrounding areas were just grouped as natural death instead of COVID during the early stage.

However in the US and possibly Canada, there are probably a number of health networks that want to inflate deaths so they can justify receiving more funding from the government.

Governments obviously want the totals to be low so it looks like they are not incompetent. However in China, that information does not get out unless the government wants it out. Not the same in many other places.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That is another issue altogether in my opinion --- cause of death. As I understand it in US and Canada if someone tests positive and dies then it is a COVID death in da books. But you could die of a heart attack with COVID and it goes down as COVID death. Now when guy is 86 years old you never know truly what caused death but if heart stops pumping to me that should be a heart attack death not a COVID death. Another issue that we will never ever be able to uncover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad