Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It really is a shame.
We love our family road trips to the US, hopefully by next summer.
Funny we were speaking at dinner last night how much we wish we could get down to the Jersey shore for a change of scenery.

It sure is, I'm a frequent visitor to Manhattan and will miss that for a while anyway.
I've decided to start exploring Canada more, it's got a lot to offer and I think some of us Canucks take it for granted. I've been to every province but none of the territories.
Went to the Gaspe in Que last summer and loved it. If you have never been to NFLD, I would highly recommend it. Gros Morne National Park is stunning. Raw natural beauty and wonderful people.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It really is a shame.
We love our family road trips to the US, hopefully by next summer.
Funny we were speaking at dinner last night how much we wish we could get down to the Jersey shore for a change of scenery.
We cancelled our beach home rental for a couple weeks on Connecticut shoreline this summer. Too bad because it is beautiful on da ocean and we can have my wife's family over for seadoo's, canoe's and bbq's or just bask on da beach. Owners decided to keep our spot and use funds next summer. But I will miss it. Only chance we get to see family. If you ever get a chance take ferry over to block Island and get a bike rental for day and picnic. One of life's treasures. I think we will try to RV up to Algonquin Park and spend a week at a buddies cottage on way back. Good to see Ontario i think this year.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So where would you go?
The whole world is messed up.
Sounds like you just hate America.
Wow.
Brutal take.

source.gif

I'll probably stick within Canada or go to places that were not hit as severely. Or just not do much travel at all for the next couple of years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It sure is, I'm a frequent visitor to Manhattan and will miss that for a while anyway.
I've decided to start exploring Canada more, it's got a lot to offer and I think some of us Canucks take it for granted. I've been to every province but none of the territories.
Went to the Gaspe in Que last summer and loved it. If you have never been to NFLD, I would highly recommend it. Gros Morne National Park is stunning. Raw natural beauty and wonderful people.
I wish I learned how to climb mountains ... that would be amazing to get those views for real

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I wish I learned how to climb mountains ... that would be amazing to get those views for real

You do have to climb Gros Morne to get to that view, but its very doable without mountain climbing skills. Rated a "difficult". I did it ten years ago a saw caribou on top of the mountain and 500 year old trees only two feet high, very cool.
10. Gros Morne Mountain (James Callaghan) Trail

Distance: 16km return
Time: 6-8 hours
Terrain/Elevation: Mountainous/10-806m
Follow the path to Gros Morne National Park’s highest point (806 metres). Your efforts will be rewarded by breathtaking views of the Long Range Mountains and the Ten Mile Pond gorge. The flat summit is a harsh yet beautiful Arctic-alpine environment, home to arctic hare, rock ptarmigan, and arctic-alpine plants.

3AB72B9289674C4B992EEC2144DD006A.ashx

Base of Gros Morne Mountain
© Parks Canada
Hike to the base
The first 4 kilometres of trail wind through forest to a viewing platform at the mountain base. You’ll find frequent stairs and boardwalk—and enjoy views of Bonne Bay, the Tablelands, and Gros Morne Mountain. For a half-day hike, simply return by the same route.
Climb to the top
The more challenging mountain section of the trail starts at the viewing platform. It’s an 8-kilometre loop that takes you up almost 500 metres to the arctic-alpine plateau, then descends as a rough boulder-strewn path through Ferry Gulch. Give yourself 4 to 6 hours to hike this section of the trail.
8420C521803C4C05B31A0F6F3134D905.ashx

© Parks Canada
Trail Notes:
  • The mountain is closed to hikers in May and June. At this time of year, soils are wet and easily eroded and animals are raising their young.
  • Please stay on the trail, both for your safety and to reduce your effect on fragile environments.
  • Dogs are not allowed on the mountain—they cause stress for wildlife and the rocky terrain is hard on their paws.
  • There is a primitive campsite at Ferry Gulch. Please register with park staff.
  • It is very important to be well-prepared before undertaking this hike.
  • The view from the top is renowned, as is the exhausting climb up the gully.
  • More information on the Gros Morne Mountain trail.
For Your Comfort and Safety
The mountaintop is sometimes in cloud. When it is, visibility is poor and it’s difficult to safely cross the mountain. Hiking in these conditions is not recommended.
  • There is no food, shelter, or water available on the mountain. Be prepared for changes in weather as well as cooler and windier conditions on the mountain.
  • Pack a windbreaker (preferably waterproof)
  • Take at least one litre of water per person (two on hot days).
  • Sweater and trousers will usually be required at the top, even if it is warm and sunny below.
  • Bring a lunch and snacks.
  • Wear comfortable and sturdy footwear. Well broken-in hiking boots are recommended.
  • Carry a First Aid Kit with treatment for blistered feet.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So the WHO issues a statement just minutes ago warning the virus is accelerating worldwide. The highest number of cases for a single day.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You do have to climb Gros Morne to get to that view, but its very doable without mountain climbing skills. Rated a "difficult". I did it ten years ago a saw caribou on top of the mountain and 500 year old trees only two feet high, very cool.
10. Gros Morne Mountain (James Callaghan) Trail

Distance: 16km return
Time: 6-8 hours
Terrain/Elevation: Mountainous/10-806m
Follow the path to Gros Morne National Park’s highest point (806 metres). Your efforts will be rewarded by breathtaking views of the Long Range Mountains and the Ten Mile Pond gorge. The flat summit is a harsh yet beautiful Arctic-alpine environment, home to arctic hare, rock ptarmigan, and arctic-alpine plants.

3AB72B9289674C4B992EEC2144DD006A.ashx

Base of Gros Morne Mountain
© Parks Canada
Hike to the base
The first 4 kilometres of trail wind through forest to a viewing platform at the mountain base. You’ll find frequent stairs and boardwalk—and enjoy views of Bonne Bay, the Tablelands, and Gros Morne Mountain. For a half-day hike, simply return by the same route.
Climb to the top
The more challenging mountain section of the trail starts at the viewing platform. It’s an 8-kilometre loop that takes you up almost 500 metres to the arctic-alpine plateau, then descends as a rough boulder-strewn path through Ferry Gulch. Give yourself 4 to 6 hours to hike this section of the trail.
8420C521803C4C05B31A0F6F3134D905.ashx

© Parks Canada
Trail Notes:
  • The mountain is closed to hikers in May and June. At this time of year, soils are wet and easily eroded and animals are raising their young.
  • Please stay on the trail, both for your safety and to reduce your effect on fragile environments.
  • Dogs are not allowed on the mountain—they cause stress for wildlife and the rocky terrain is hard on their paws.
  • There is a primitive campsite at Ferry Gulch. Please register with park staff.
  • It is very important to be well-prepared before undertaking this hike.
  • The view from the top is renowned, as is the exhausting climb up the gully.
  • More information on the Gros Morne Mountain trail.
For Your Comfort and Safety
The mountaintop is sometimes in cloud. When it is, visibility is poor and it’s difficult to safely cross the mountain. Hiking in these conditions is not recommended.
  • There is no food, shelter, or water available on the mountain. Be prepared for changes in weather as well as cooler and windier conditions on the mountain.
  • Pack a windbreaker (preferably waterproof)
  • Take at least one litre of water per person (two on hot days).
  • Sweater and trousers will usually be required at the top, even if it is warm and sunny below.
  • Bring a lunch and snacks.
  • Wear comfortable and sturdy footwear. Well broken-in hiking boots are recommended.
  • Carry a First Aid Kit with treatment for blistered feet.
Thanks for info ... incredible ... 16 kms up a mountain is way over my snack bracket now ... I am 1 hour to go 2-3 kms now to bar and my feet are killing me and that is straight ... i would need a helicopter to come and pick me outta there

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Thanks for info ... incredible ... 16 kms up a mountain is way over my snack bracket now ... I am 1 hour to go 2-3 kms now to bar and my feet are killing me and that is straight ... i would need a helicopter to come and pick me outta there

Yea for sure, I did it ten years ago, but would not attempt today without training for it, and that's not gonna happen. Id rather go golfing on a cart with a beer cooler.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Travelling within Canada is something I always wanted but never do mainly bc the cost is pretty much the same as flying to Europe, and the Far East.
I live in Vancouver now and a round trip plane ticket for 1 to Toronto is literally just a bit less than flying to Tokyo. Hotels and stuffs are literally the same, actually, Tokyo is cheaper depending on the seasons.
I remembered planning a family trip to Salt Spring Island, an island near Vancouver-3 hrs ferry ride, as it is a nice getaway recommended by my neighbour. The hotel or Air BNB cost as much as the hotel room as hotels near Disney in LA. Which just doesn’t make any sense at all.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I can't imagine flying anywhere on a vacation anytime soon but visiting the US, even on a road trip, is out of the question for a long time. What a disaster.
I just read today that Walt Disney World is having this new reservation system to enter their parks until September 26, 2021 and that means I need to also cancel my trip I had planned for this coming December. I was hoping things would change within in a couple months to see how people would react to their changes, guess I was wrong about that.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I just read today that Walt Disney World is having this new reservation system to enter their parks until September 26, 2021 and that means I need to also cancel my trip I had planned for this coming December. I was hoping things would change within in a couple months to see how people would react to their changes, guess I was wrong about that.
I had my Family Disney trip cancel this past May. It was a surprise trip so my kids didn’t know about it or else they would hate COVID even more. The trip is now rescheduled for Nov but looking at it now, it does not look good.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Tampa Bay training facility shut down with three players and two staff testing positive. They weren’t even following safe social distancing bybthe sounds of it. Wtf Tampa Bay Lightning temporarily close training facilities due to COVID-19 - TSN.ca
This is pretty much what a lot of us were saying from the start. All it takes is a few players getting infected and everything is back to the phrase 1.
Part of me want to watch Hockey and believe it is possible due to a lot of Euro Football Leagues are resuming but part of me is like, let’s just call it off.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I had my Family Disney trip cancel this past May. It was a surprise trip so my kids didn’t know about it or else they would hate COVID even more. The trip is now rescheduled for Nov but looking at it now, it does not look good.
Assuming you were going to Walt Disney World they are requiring a reservation to get into their parks util September 26, 2021.

BREAKING: Disney Announces Details on Theme Park Reservation System for Walt Disney World - WDW News Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad