Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The good people of Halton don't want the diseased hordes from Peel infecting them. Stay away! :thumbd:
There is a group of about 30 of us from Mississauga and Etobicoke hitting downtown Oakville in seperate cars for da patio ... too bad Toronto and Mississauga did not open up they are losing a lot of business ... almost all da new infections are from Brampton now

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Comparing the States to Canada is like comparing apples to oranges.

No need for a straw man.
Actually our numbers per capita aren’t much different. This article compares us to a good comparable countries and we are not showing well, actually u
It’s embarrassing How Canada has bungled the COVID-19 endgame - Macleans.ca

Another poster found that article and posted. It’s a good read, maybe a bit partisan but still a good read

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There is a group of about 30 of us from Mississauga and Etobicoke hitting downtown Oakville in seperate cars for da patio ... too bad Toronto and Mississauga did not open up they are losing a lot of business ... almost all da new infections are from Brampton now

must be a big patio for 30, as patios are limited,
they said today 70% of Ontario cases in Toronto and Peel.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Also, there was a new study in Italy that I looked at yesterday that claims 70% of the cases under the age of 60 are asymptomatic. Some studies indicate they can’t spread it either.
We also know from earlier studies on serology testing that some fight it off early and don’t create any antibodies.

That's one other thing I did not entirely get. They said early on that you would need to have a specific amount to really get sick. Like the amount you would get from a cough or a sneeze... Which means you are not asymptomatic and why they are preaching the 6 ft thing. Now they are changing it to simply talking or breathing I guess (if they are concerned about asymptomatic cases spreading the virus), which does not produce a ton of droplets and would not travel nearly as far. Are they saying it lingers in the air or accumulates on surfaces enough that you can get it from these minimal droplets? Well if it is on surfaces, then wash your hands and surfaces... Which you should be doing anyways. If it is in the air, which I seriously doubt, then that is another issue which I have not heard them talk about very often.

That is another issue altogether in my opinion --- cause of death. As I understand it in US and Canada if someone tests positive and dies then it is a COVID death in da books. But you could die of a heart attack with COVID and it goes down as COVID death. Now when guy is 86 years old you never know truly what caused death but if heart stops pumping to me that should be a heart attack death not a COVID death. Another issue that we will never ever be able to uncover.

Exactly what I said in the Arizona-Covid thread. I knew someone who died due to a heart condition, but they did not have Covid. However first thing they asked was whether they had Covid-19. I would be willing to bet that if it was a 'yes', and they could not clearly determine that Covid was not the cause, they would attribute it to Covid. Hence inflating the numbers...

I also mentioned that the person I knew who died was unable to see the doctor for two months before they died, and it is already known that people who needed surgery or treatment for cancer or other things that was not deemed an immediate emergency were being turned away out of fear for Covid-19 spread. How many people are going to die because they can't properly see doctors for their other issues? A lot more than Covid-19 deaths to low risk people I would bet. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference, but you are giving them little to no chance at that point.

Reactions: mmalady

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think Canada is half of the US per capita
I added a edit to that post comparing us to good comparables and we see terrible reactions to this as a country. LTC homes in this country are nothing short of a scam of the citizens too. I think a class action lawsuit against all of these care homes is not far off and to long coming.
Politics has been putting peoples loved ones in to a basic war zone of neglect and profit over quality healthcare position for decades. These scam care homes need to be sued and sued heavily.

Reactions: mmalady and kb

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I added a edit to that post comparing us to good comparables and we see terrible reactions to this as a country. LTC homes in this country are nothing short of a scam of the citizens too. I think a class action lawsuit against all of these care homes is not far off and to long coming.
Politics has been putting peoples loved ones in to a basic war zone of neglect and profit over quality healthcare position for decades. These scam care homes need to be sued and sued heavily.

The only real way you are going to get accountability is if you get the government to take them over and make them non-profit. It likely will still suck, as the government still makes a ton of errors, but at least you get accountability.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The only real way you are going to get accountability is if you get the government to take them over and make them non-profit. It likely will still suck, as the government still makes a ton of errors, but at least you get accountability.
GaryNylund posted this article initially back a page in this thread (thanks Gary) It shows the total neglect at all levels and indicates former Premier Harris is one of the biggest owners and violating of them all in the province. The Guidelines for care home are atrocious and are guidelines with basically no penalties or legislation or laws to back a quality care or piece of mind for anyone thinking of moving it to a care facility or being put in to one.
They are basically a free for all of lies and deceit and neglect. They need to be investigated and punished to the full extent of the law including jail if the crime is found that indicates such course of action.

Absolutely gross and disgusting what has finally been exposed. I feel so terrible for all the people who have lost their loved ones through neglect and abandonment through this. Its heartbreaking and doesn’t make me proud to be Canadian because that is Not what we are.

Its a very very ugly mark against all that have allowed this to happen over years and years. https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/australia-covid-19-long-term-care-1.5591912

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
That is another issue altogether in my opinion --- cause of death. As I understand it in US and Canada if someone tests positive and dies then it is a COVID death in da books. But you could die of a heart attack with COVID and it goes down as COVID death. Now when guy is 86 years old you never know truly what caused death but if heart stops pumping to me that should be a heart attack death not a COVID death. Another issue that we will never ever be able to uncover.

The real numbers to study are excess deaths. They take the average from the past ten years and determine how many extra people have died through the pandemic.

May's numbers were brutal in Europe,, Bangledash, Brazil,, India and certain parts of the States.

What the cause was? Covid? Fear of going to the hospital? The poster was correct yesterday when he brought up the number of deaths being closer to 1 million.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
The real numbers to study are excess deaths. They take the average from the past ten years and determine how many extra people have died through the pandemic.

May's numbers were brutal in Europe,, Bangledash, Brazil,, India and certain parts of the States.

What the cause was? Covid? Fear of going to the hospital? The poster was correct yesterday when he brought up the number of deaths being closer to 1 million.
Easily over 1 million deaths. Much worse than the annual flu but not nearly as bad as the Spanish flu. Hard to beat the Spanish flu in the middle of a world war in those times. We'll be fine, governments will try to take advantage though.

Reactions: Jojalu and kb

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because of Covid-19 I cancelled my August trip to Walt Disney World.

Besides the obvious reason of the Canada-US border still being closed to non essential travel and it being extended until July 21, that's not why I cancelled it. Starting next month when they re-open if you want to visit any of their 4 parks you need to make a reservation via their app to get in. A few weeks ago their re-opened their shopping district called Disney Springs which is free to visit. However when you arrive they are doing temperature checks. Anyway I had an Annual Pass and with that I could visit any park I wanted at anytime. So it's basically useless because of this change. Universal Orlando and Sea World in Orlando just re-opened and they are letting guests in normally without making a reservation to visit their parks. Plus at their onsite resorts you will only get housekeeping every other day and you need to wear a mask when your not in your room. They even say it's required at the parking lot of your resort. So can you imagine walking around with in the Florida heat with one. I understand why people need to wear a mask and I have one when I go out in Toronto. However on vacation is a completely different situation. Finally they expect everyone to social distance on their buses, boats and monorail system that goes around the whole property, which is going to cause a lot of problems. They are even going to have social distancing on their rides and that will make the lines even longer.

Last edited:

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
I doubt too many people will. Most are smart enough not too.
If there's people buying $5 USB sticks for $300 because of claims of protection against 5G signals, I feel like a large number of people would still eat this covid19 tracking crap up. Just more surveillance technology pretending to be social utility. Like a social Backdoor Sl*ts 9.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
If there's people buying $5 USB sticks for $300 because of claims of protection against 5G signals, I feel like a large number of people would still eat this covid19 tracking crap up. Just more surveillance technology pretending to be social utility. Like a social Backdoor Sl*ts 9.

You could be right. I sometimes give to much credit to people.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I can't imagine flying anywhere on a vacation anytime soon but visiting the US, even on a road trip, is out of the question for a long time. What a disaster.
Spread the warning. Do not travel to the US, especially Florida, particularly the Tampa, Clearwater, DUNEDIN area. It’ll be years and years before it’s safe to travel to these areas.:sarcasm:

Reactions: kb

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I can't imagine flying anywhere on a vacation anytime soon but visiting the US, even on a road trip, is out of the question for a long time. What a disaster.
So where would you go?
The whole world is messed up.
Sounds like you just hate America.
Wow.
Brutal take.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Yea, but we knew this before Covid and did nothing but bury our heads in the sand. I certainly want it changed but we all better be prepared to ante up to make it happen.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It really is a shame.
We love our family road trips to the US, hopefully by next summer.
Funny we were speaking at dinner last night how much we wish we could get down to the Jersey shore for a change of scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad