Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Seat belts! Don't forget seat belts! Completely intrusive and unconstitutional assault on our liberties!

i was trying to find regulations that were imposed because the activity had the potential to impact other people’s lives, like walking around in the pandemic without wearing masks...seat belts really aren’t that...maybe drunk driving laws (“god damn it, I should be free to drive around drunk if I want to...you’re impinging on my civil liberties...it’s going to be a slippery slope to totalitarianism “)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i was trying to find regulations that were imposed because the activity had the potential to impact other people’s lives, like walking around in the pandemic without wearing masks...seat belts really aren’t that...maybe drunk driving laws (“god damn it, I should be free to drive around drunk if I want to...you’re impinging on my civil liberties...it’s going to be a slippery slope to totalitarianism “)

Smoking bans?

Reactions: Andy99

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I go back to what I said yesterday. This is a shitty time. It sucks. It really does. And we’re all looking for some victory. Just don’t let that desire make you overlook how bad it is or the reality of the situation, let alone overlook critical thinking. I want wins but I’m living in a hot zone. I’m seeing reality. It f***ing sucks. And I want wins. But we still have a unique, new, continually growing and changing virus we can’t fully treat. And it’s killing hundreds of thousands and potentially crippling for who knows how long even more. This isn’t a two outcome deal and the young aren’t immune.

Without getting too specific, where do you live and what was your area's response from March until today?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Without getting too specific, where do you live and what was your area's response from March until today?

I’m in the Charleston, SC area. It wasn’t bad here at the start. We locked down fairly soon in March, right around the start of April. About three weeks ago we finished our reopening to include bars and in restaurant seating.

Since then cases have exploded. Hospitals are filling up

https://twitter.com/holycitysinner/status/1278815462713778176?s=21

The governor refused to issue a mask mandate

And we’ve had almost 100 deaths this week. No rescaling in terms of closing bars or limiting restaurants. Individual cities and counties have issues mask mandates. A month ago I was in the store and 40% of people were wearing masks. I went yesterday and it was over 90%. People are starting to take it seriously but Charleston is being hit badly.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i often wonder how much attention the most concerned people paid to daily deaths in this country before covid

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I’m in the Charleston, SC area. It wasn’t bad here at the start. We locked down fairly soon in March, right around the start of April. About three weeks ago we finished our reopening to include bars and in restaurant seating.

Since then cases have exploded. Hospitals are filling up
https://twitter.com/holycitysinner/status/1278815462713778176?s=21

The governor refused to issue a mask mandate

And we’ve had almost 100 deaths this week. No rescaling in terms of closing bars or limiting restaurants. Individual cities and counties have issues mask mandates. A month ago I was in the store and 40% of people were wearing masks. I went yesterday and it was over 90%. People are starting to take it seriously but Charleston is being hit badly.

Okay. Thanks that helps frame your posts a lot. A bit of a rubberband effect of what you are experiencing and what my area near SF has already experienced intense numbers in a short amount of time weeks ago. We never got to the full reopen everything up status, though. Looks like SC jumped the gun and is extra screwed now.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
civil liberties are not constionunal freedoms.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
civil liberties are not constionunal freedoms.

Here’s your list of constitutional freedoms: freedom of speech, press, religion, assembly and petition; right to bear arms in your home; freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures by the government, including seizure of your property except for Eminent Domain; right to due process of law, freedom from self-incrimination and double jeopardy; rights to jury trial if accused of crime or in civil cases, to confront witnesses against you and get attorney if you can’t afford one in criminal case; freedom from excessive bail/fines and cruel and unusual punishment; and certain other unenumerated rights generally involving privacy and movement, which mainly is the right to travel, marital/sexual privacy and abortion. Btw, none of these are absolute—they come with restrictions

I don’t see any right to be free from the government asking you to wear a mask in public during a public health crisis....

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Here’s your list of constitutional freedoms: freedom of speech, press, religion, assembly and petition; right to bear arms in your home; freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures by the government, including seizure of your property except for Eminent Domain; right to due process of law, freedom from self-incrimination and double jeopardy; rights to jury trial if accused of crime or in civil cases, to confront witnesses against you and get attorney if you can’t afford one in criminal case; freedom from excessive bail/fines and cruel and unusual punishment; and certain other unenumerated rights generally involving privacy and movement, which mainly is the right to travel, marital/sexual privacy and abortion. Btw, none of these are absolute—they come with restrictions

I don’t see any right to be free from the government asking you to wear a mask in public during a public health crisis....

It's in the penumbra of those listed rights, or so some would say. ;)

Can't see this one getting to the Supreme Court for decision though.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's in the penumbra of those listed rights, or so some would say. ;)

Can't see this one getting to the Supreme Court for decision though.

Especially if the government can put all sorts of restrictions on your constitutional right to do what you want with your body (namely abortion), I can’t see any way asking you to put a removable mask on your face during a pandemic isn’t going to pass muster...:)

Reactions: Al Smith

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

asking is good. demanding is bad. i would love to get into it in more depth but i'm trying not to get banned.:laugh:

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
There's many many many things to be mad about

Masks is so low on the list

You're plainly an ignoramus if you detest them so much that you're sharpening the pitchforks for armed revolution

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad