Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
the obsession with the very rare cases of people with lingering or long term effects from what is a mostly harmless disease in young demographics is unrealistic

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Highly anecdotal without knowing pre-infection health, though, no?

I know of about 70 people between 25 and 55..sixty percent have fully recovered others are a couple weeks into quarantine and one is in hospital. Who is well into 50s. And cOuld barely move without being out of breath to start with.

Reactions: KIRK

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Highly anecdotal without knowing pre-infection health, though, no?

I know of about 70 people between 25 and 55..sixty percent have fully recovered others are a couple weeks into quarantine and one is in hospital. Who is well into 50s. And cOuld barely move without being out of breath to start with.

So my “highly anecdotal” info isn’t okay but yours is fine?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it bothers me that i for instance previously cited a bunch of different doctors who, contrary to the WHO or CDC, state that they are seeing much weaker infections, and was immediately shot down by the same people who readily accept the anecdotes of random twitter users, who contrary to the WHO and CDC offer the most pessimistic perspective possible and declare hundreds of thousands of people are suffering severe lasting damage yet can provide no evidence

Reactions: The Old Master

Fordy

May 28, 2008
did i say that no one can have lasting effects from the disease, or did i express skepticism about this random person's assertion that hundreds of thousands of recovered people are suffering severely, and say that it's not realistic to focus on an extreme minority of very drastic cases?

Reactions: KIRK

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Here’s What Recovery From Covid-19 Looks Like for Many Survivors

the very first paragraph comes closer to backing her claims than yours.
try reading the second paragraph

"Patients who are returning home after being hospitalized for severe respiratory failure from the virus are confronting physical, neurological, cognitive and emotional issues."

the article is about people who were hospitalized. obviously if you are sick enough with a respiratory disease to require hospitalization or ventilation or have severe respiratory failure, you are going to have lasting problems regardless of if it's pneumonia or covid

luckily, very few people that get covid have to go to the hospital or even have symptoms at all, which is my entire point about it being unrealistic to focus on

like, is this surprising to you?

"Some patients who were on ventilators report difficulty swallowing or speaking above a whisper, a usually temporary result of bruising or inflammation from a breathing tube that passes through the vocal cords."

"Many patients experience muscle weakness after lying in a hospital bed for so long, said Dr. Dale Needham, a critical care physician at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and a leader in the field of intensive care recovery. As a result, they can have trouble walking, climbing stairs or lifting objects."

of course they do

Reactions: Ryder71

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i'm not sure what your point was anymore, but mine was that overly focusing on negative outcomes of the severely ill without maintaining perspective of this being an extreme minority of cases, amounts to fear mongering

Reactions: Ryder71

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
i'm not sure what your point was anymore, but mine was that overly focusing on negative outcomes of the severely ill without maintaining perspective of this being an extreme minority of cases, amounts to fear mongering

It’s not fear mongering. It’s caring for my fellow man enough to not want them dead or potentially crippled.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s truly so important we stop looking at this as two outcomes: death or recovery. It’s no where near that simple. We must do everything we can to make sure people do not get this until there is a vaccine.

I would like to take this post and extend it to soooooooooooooooo many more things. Diabetes, healthy heart, good blood circulation, etc. This has been going on for decades where this idea that "Oh I know it's out there, but it won't happen to me" mindset is EVERYWHERE. People can't even stay slightly active to lower their risk of heart attack/heart complications, which I believe led 2019 in cause of death. We have so many things in our control and we just treat ourselves like it doesn't matter.

This one is the easiest thing to accomplish. Limit who you see until a vaccine/treatment is readily available. YOU CAN STILL HAVE ALL THE FUN IN THE WORLD! You just have to keep distance. You can actually visit people you love if you take safety precautions and keep distance while wearing a mask. It's such an amazing small sacrifice to maintain almost an identical life. It's mind-numbing.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
I would like to take this post and extend it to soooooooooooooooo many more things. Diabetes, healthy heart, good blood circulation, etc. This has been going on for decades where this idea that "Oh I know it's out there, but it won't happen to me" mindset is EVERYWHERE. People can't even stay slightly active to lower their risk of heart attack/heart complications, which I believe led 2019 in cause of death. We have so many things in our control and we just treat ourselves like it doesn't matter.

This one is the easiest thing to accomplish. Limit who you see until a vaccine/treatment is readily available. YOU CAN STILL HAVE ALL THE FUN IN THE WORLD! You just have to keep distance. You can actually visit people you love if you take safety precautions and keep distance while wearing a mask. It's such an amazing small sacrifice to maintain almost an identical life. It's mind-numbing.

The thing about COVID and the things you mentioned is there are ways for people to stop it and medications to prevent them. We don’t have that yet for COVID. But yeah, unfortunately it means some shitty sacrifices in the mean time. Bars are a no go. Gyms should probably be (though that’s still up for debate). Movie theaters are a no go. Restaurants can only be out doors. It sucks but if the right people care from the top down the sacrifices can be mitigated.

Reactions: Rave7215

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
I go back to what I said yesterday. This is a shitty time. It sucks. It really does. And we’re all looking for some victory. Just don’t let that desire make you overlook how bad it is or the reality of the situation, let alone overlook critical thinking. I want wins but I’m living in a hot zone. I’m seeing reality. It f***ing sucks. And I want wins. But we still have a unique, new, continually growing and changing virus we can’t fully treat. And it’s killing hundreds of thousands and potentially crippling for who knows how long even more. This isn’t a two outcome deal and the young aren’t immune.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It’s not fear mongering. It’s caring for my fellow man enough to not want them dead or potentially crippled.
if you really cared about your fellow man you would be fighting for liberty. life with out liberty is no life at all. you just want to run everybody's life , telling them what to wear where to live what to eat and freedom is just something in your way and needs to be destroyed.

Reactions: LOGiK and Ryder71

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would love to see the people whining about their "lost freedom" live in a country where you actually didn't have freedom. If you think "you have to wear a mask and you can't go to bars" means you're losing your freedom, I can't even imagine what you'd say if you lived in a place that actually restricted freedoms.

Anyway, new cases in Allegheny County:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
if you really cared about your fellow man you would be fighting for liberty. life with out liberty is no life at all. you just want to run everybody's life , telling them what to wear where to live what to eat and freedom is just something in your way and needs to be destroyed.

No? I want to take the measures that are temporarily necessary to ensure more people live to have liberty when this is a footnote. Did citizens during WWII complain about their liberties when they were told to ration? I doubt it. Because it was for the good of all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would love to see the people whining about their "lost freedom" live in a country where you actually didn't have freedom. If you think "you have to wear a mask and you can't go to bars" means you're losing your freedom, I can't even imagine what you'd say if you lived in a place that actually restricted freedoms.

Anyway, new cases in Allegheny County:

There are far too many entitled Americans who have no clue that freedom comes with a price and great responsibility.

Just saw an accurate comic strip my wife just sent me, can’t post it on here because of rules, but the gist of it is a dude dressed in the US flag toting around guns yelling how he’s a patriot and would do anything to protect America...

Someone hands him a mask and he insta-rages.

Funny, in a sadly bang on way.

Anyway, at least the cases have been dropping in AC for a few days in a row... suspect the mental midgets this weekend will cause another spike though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad