Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
@Jaded-Fan I'm totally on board with the challenge trials and would sign up myself if there were any shortage of volunteers (I doubt it). It's what Salk did, after all.

In a way it tangentially reminds me of this movement to make our first manned Mars mission a one-way flight. From what I understand, if you take away the need to come back to Earth it becomes so much more feasible (like 10% of the cost) to finance and run a manned Mars mission. Issue is that your people have to sign up to die there. But I think hundreds of thousands of people have already volunteered to be part of that mission even if it guarantees dying on Mars - if ya make it.
78,000 sign up for one-way mission to Mars - Press Releases - News - Mars One

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@Jaded-Fan I'm totally on board with the challenge trials and would sign up myself if there were any shortage of volunteers (I doubt it). It's what Salk did, after all.

In a way it tangentially reminds me of this movement to make our first manned Mars mission a one-way flight. From what I understand, if you take away the need to come back to Earth it becomes so much more feasible (like 10% of the cost) to finance and run a manned Mars mission. Issue is that your people have to sign up to die there. But I think hundreds of thousands of people have already volunteered to be part of that mission even if it guarantees dying on Mars - if ya make it.
78,000 sign up for one-way mission to Mars - Press Releases - News - Mars One
Yeah, I dislike that way more :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yep.
I think you and I went over this exact conversation before. Pretty sure it was with you... maybe not.

I didn't post what I posted to bring up the mask issue, but you asked so I told ya. That poster said wearing masks will now be a normal thing in society... not for me.
Anyone who wants to wear one, go right ahead. Outside of the grocery store... I'm not wearing anything. If I get sick... and eventually I will... that is life... can't stop it.

I need my immune system for when I get up in age anyway... can't hide under a mask to fix everything. If something gets me and takes me, well, I mean... what can you do? We all go sometime.
I think under the current circumstances people should be wearing masks in public. And in general you're not wearing them to protect yourself, it helps protect others from you. Which is why when I see people out at the store or the gas station not wearing them, I wish to inflict bodily harm on them. Fortunately I haven't, yet.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
because the doctors and nurses are doing everything they can to avoid getting the virus. It really just isn't the same thing. It's just a different level of knowing and intent.
I paid a couple hundred bucks to jump out of a plane in Australia. The risk there is probably higher than it is for me if I get coronavirus. If it's okay for me to go sky diving it should be ok for me to get coronavirus on a voluntary basis.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I paid a couple hundred bucks to jump out of a plane in Australia. The risk there is probably higher than it is for me if I get coronavirus. If it's okay for me to go sky diving it should be ok for me to get coronavirus on a voluntary basis.
I bet it's not close to as risky to skydive.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You may die, yes, but you have a legacy of being part of a great movement to expedite resistance to a virus. Or go to freaking Mars.

And besides, no one's forcing you to do these challenge trials.
for what it's worth, I can certainly understand the vaccine stuff. Sending people on a one way trip to mars is way way way less reasonable imo.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
you can minimize risk though. Do you wear a seat belt?

You know that's a bad example

But yeah I wear a seatbelt

Because that's something where I feel risk to myself...but I don't wear my seatbelt for society at large to feel safer from me

I also go triple digits and routinely drive my car on race tracks

I've also be in heavy metal mosh pits with everyone's sweat and blood and who knows what going on

A virus COULD have started at any of those concerts

We didn't care then

Not sure why we should care in the future, straight up, a f***ing asteroid could wipe us out tomorrow, I'm legit not tracking the night sky worrying about it

I could also just die tripping on one of my cats hopping into my feet running down the hall

Like I said, I'll mask...for now..but they're gonna have to get real draconian before I find it normal or a part of my everyday outfit

I already wear cargo shorts...now I gotta look even more stupid with a mask???? Lol lol

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I could also just die tripping on one of my cats hopping into my feet running down the hall

Like I said, I'll mask...for now..but they're gonna have to get real draconian before I find it normal or a part of my everyday outfit
gotcha. Yeah I plan to wear it while this is a thing, not forever.

Also, don't drive triple digits on real roads please :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
gotcha. Yeah I plan to wear it while this is a thing, not forever.

Also, don't drive triple digits on real roads please :laugh:

Lol it's beyond rare, because it's risky, but when everyone around you is going 85+ sometimes you gotta goose the throttle a bit to get out of situations

I'm normally over in the slow lanes with trucks going 70mph out here in CA while literally everyone is blowing my doors off lol

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yep.
I think you and I went over this exact conversation before. Pretty sure it was with you... maybe not.

I didn't post what I posted to bring up the mask issue, but you asked so I told ya. That poster said wearing masks will now be a normal thing in society... not for me.
Anyone who wants to wear one, go right ahead. Outside of the grocery store... I'm not wearing anything. If I get sick... and eventually I will... that is life... can't stop it.

I need my immune system for when I get up in age anyway... can't hide under a mask to fix everything. If something gets me and takes me, well, I mean... what can you do? We all go sometime.

I think it was me and I still don't get your reasoning for not wearing one.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I hate to generalize because it can be a dangerous game of assumptions and half-truths but I really do have a tough time taking so many of these people seriously. They are just such utter boners. It's like... no... putting a Punisher face mask on doesn't at all hide the fact that you are a fat mess of a neckbeard asshole in Wal*Mart tactical doing Red Dawn cosplay.

You mean :

Y'all Qaeda
YeeHawdists
Vanilla Isis
Zero Dork Thirty
Meal Team Six
82nd Chairborne
Splinter Incel

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
if you volunteered to be shot in the head, should I be allowed to do it?

You see the trip to Mars as murder. I view it as legacy-defining for certain people. The same way in the military some people volunteer for suicide missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad