Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
What I want to know is how people sign up for these trials like remdesivir. I’m sure many would agree to take an experimental antiviral but what about the placebo arm.. These are patients with severe disease and half are given nothing? How do you get consent on that and even if you do how can you be sure the patient understands what is happening?

I don’t see an issue with the challenge trials as much since the pool is (I assume) healthy and low risk and, without a vaccine, they’re likely to get the disease eventually anyway. Seems no different than donating an organ or being a fireman.

Should be consent before selection into either group. In this case, it's probably purely based on location. I'd be more interested in how they get consent at all for some of the severe cases since they might not be conscious, and definitely don't have anyone with them in hospital.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What I want to know is how people sign up for these trials like remdesivir. I’m sure many would agree to take an experimental antiviral but what about the placebo arm.. These are patients with severe disease and half are given nothing? How do you get consent on that and even if you do how can you be sure the patient understands what is happening?

I don’t see an issue with the challenge trials as much since the pool is (I assume) healthy and low risk and, without a vaccine, they’re likely to get the disease eventually anyway. Seems no different than donating an organ or being a fireman.

It's definitely an ethical quandary as far as conducting a clinical trial with placebo. But you could also just do like 4 different drug treatments/protocols if you didn't want to deal with the ethical implications of giving them nothing. Plus isn't there a shortage of remd right now? So you could argue that not everyone who may need it could get it anyway.

As for challenge trials, I'd sign up even if I were in the placebo group - not that I'd know. I assume they put you up in Corona hotel, you get decent medical care, they feed ya and best of all you are intelligently quarantined and get to leave once you're no longer infectious (...or dead). It would then take the fear factor out of life for some time. I could see my grandfather without worrying. I could volunteer to butcher people's haircuts. The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It’d be cool if medical trials was like jury duty.. your employer gives you the time off and you go hang out at a university lab for 4 weeks or whatever and everyone pats you on the back for doing your duty when you’re done. Even if it’s just some study on caffeine before bed or something.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It’d be cool if medical trials was like jury duty.. your employer gives you the time off and you go hang out at a university lab for 4 weeks or whatever and everyone pats you on the back for doing your duty when you’re done. Even if it’s just some study on caffeine before bed or something.

A lot of people don't even have employers right now. So they wouldn't even have to ask for sick time.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003

I'll create a new variant of the thin line flag to place on my car to honor you. Color preference?

Reactions: Jacob

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
R1fdEt3.gif

Lol

Had to

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is there any place that would deliver me a pair of dumbbell handles right now? Or is that a thing I need to wait for a sporting goods store to reopen at this point.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's funny because these same people happily carry around cell phones without a care in the world, I'd bet. And probably participate in every single "if you were a Spice Girl which one would you be?" type things on Facebook.

:biglaugh: Dude people who wildly scream for privacy and are on social media BLOW MY DAMN MIND. It is beyond me.

It is so f***ing easy to be private. Soooooo easy.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
:biglaugh: Dude people who wildly scream for privacy and are on social media BLOW MY DAMN MIND. It is beyond me.

It is so f***ing easy to be private. Soooooo easy.

Is that a challenge offered? To identify (to him only) ColePens?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
So right now of all times the Murder Hornet has made it's way from Asia to the US. Another thing to scare people into staying inside. Nobody finds all this suspicious?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So right now of all times the Murder Hornet has made it's way from Asia to the US. Another thing to scare people into staying inside. Nobody finds all this suspicious?

Not "suspicious" to the level that I think you're leading to

This is media BS because they're bored reporting on the coronavirus. It sells clicks and nothing more.
It's has nothing to do with government conspiracies.

Reactions: turtle27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad