Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
*** I cannot stress this enough. Some political talk is fine, but once we start to show party lines, it's 100% done. This is not a political debate. We can talk about how it affects politics (unemployment, help on the way financially, etc) - but we cannot go into party lines. I will immediately remove you from the thread. There will be no more warnings.***

Instant thread bans will be in play. If you have been removed from a prior thread and removed again - additional discipline will take place.

Also PLEASE READ:

Agree to disagree with people. If you are hell bent on opening up the economy - cool. Support your case and move along. If you are against it - cool. Support your case and move on. This is not a thread to bicker over and over about the same thing. We are all in a new world situation together. There is so much uncertainty and when you sit and try to make definitive points and bicker back and forth, it ruins the thread's purpose.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Small win for western PA. Just want this area to be safe as possible.

Yeah, if I had ended up needing to get shoulder surgery (I don't, luckily), I would have been pretty relieved that a) I would be able to get it before years from now and b) the risk of me being in an area with Covid patients would be minimal at UPMC.

Reactions: ColePens

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, if I had ended up needing to get shoulder surgery (I don't, luckily), I would have been pretty relieved that a) I would be able to get it before years from now and b) the risk of me being in an area with Covid patients would be minimal at UPMC.

My wife had surgeries during this. Could not be there for her. Gallbladder removed, and she was in there for 4/5 days. The Covid-19 patients had their own floor. My wife was very pro at asking the details. Scary nonetheless.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My wife had surgeries during this. Could not be there for her. Gallbladder removed, and she was in there for 4/5 days. The Covid-19 patients had their own floor. My wife was very pro at asking the details. Scary nonetheless.
yikes my wife had her Gallbladder out last fall, but she was home later that day. That sounds rough. How's the recovery? My wife felt like 1000% better than she did prior to the surgery within like a day. Our other friend who had it around the same time felt shitty for a few months after.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
yikes my wife had her Gallbladder out last fall, but she was home later that day. That sounds rough. How's the recovery? My wife felt like 1000% better than she did prior to the surgery within like a day. Our other friend who had it around the same time felt shitty for a few months after.

Yeah, she feels better, she had these really bad pains on a friday night, and they subsided when the Paramedics were here, but her levels were skyrocketed. Normal to be 50 to 350 (Pancreatitis) and she was at like 13000 due to gallstones. Yes. Most times this would be an outpatient surgery, but because of the shutdown and being a weekend they were pushing for the surgery to Tuesday, but they ended up doing it Monday after another painful bought and released Tuesday when they felt her levels were down safe enough to send home. She gets out and moves about. She has her follow up this Thursday.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, she feels better, she had these really bad pains on a friday night, and they subsided when the Paramedics were here, but her levels were skyrocketed. Normal to be 50 to 350 (Pancreatitis) and she was at like 13000 due to gallstones. Yes. Most times this would be an outpatient surgery, but because of the shutdown and being a weekend they were pushing for the surgery to Tuesday, but they ended up doing it Monday after another painful bought and released Tuesday when they felt her levels were down safe enough to send home. She gets out and moves about. She has her follow up this Thursday.
man that stuff all sucks. They misdiagnosed my wife like twice before they got it right too, so she had like 2 months of attacks from a gallstone that was seriously over half an inch diameter. That shit is brutal.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
man that stuff all sucks. They misdiagnosed my wife like twice before they got it right too, so she had like 2 months of attacks from a gallstone that was seriously over half an inch diameter. That shit is brutal.

That's big considering the gallbladder is about the size of a finger. Glad she feels much better.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
@vikingGoalie

"so 4000 more recorded deaths, currently they report 10K covid 19 deaths in NYC. COVID-19: Data - NYC Health
so are you saying 14K total deaths out of a population of 8.7M. where does 1/500 come from? just help me out with the math you are using here... "

17.2k deaths was likely the true number at that point, which is confirmed deaths + deaths reported as probable for COVID + the "missing" deaths that have not yet been reported as COVID.

17,200 / 8.7 M =.002

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Before the other thread was closed there was discussion of meatloaf, cream cheese and jalapenos. Made this a couple months ago.
Do the hard boiled egg thing...totally worth it

JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED MEATLOAF RECIPE INGREDIENTS

• 1.5 lbs ground beef, or ground pork (or half of each for extra flavor)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup crushed pork rinds, ground flaxseed, or almond flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbs mustard powder
  • 1 tsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce if you prefer)
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup cooked bacon
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
  • 5 tbs AlternaSweets Keto Ketchup
ZKWf0gh6gTeaTi-5mZ8HGjR-06QVRd7N2DaacDTo1PqYaAfKOhfRdUJe4z9ToYfvyqY0RdU1n6GOxGRuX2y5utL2AeKpnnAvXyvPEy5HemqNMknLoqRkM9LcD7HHDsmA5NMcfQRasEkE-9szH2W4Vmp5qli3jOb8-2E=s0-d-e1-ft

JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED MEATLOAF RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS

Add the ground beef, chopped onion, garlic, pork rinds, eggs, Italian seasonings, pepper, mustard powder and liquid aminos in a large bowl and mix it until it’s fully combined. Most of the time I use my (clean) hands instead of a spoon to mix it all together just like Grandma used to do too.
Spray non stick cooking spray into the bread pan and pour half the meat mixture into the pan.
Spread the softened cream cheese on top of the bottom meatloaf layer.
Add the jalapenos and bacon bits.
Top the meatloaf with the second half of the meat mixture.
Add extra AlternaSweets Ketchup to the top of the meatloaf, then cover it with foil before you bake it.
Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour.
TIP: You can add it to one large bread pan or two small bread pans. If you use two small bread pans this meatloaf will cook faster! I’ve done this when my family hungry and wants dinner faster.
You can do lots of different stuffed meatloaf variations too!
We’ve added cheese, spinach, olives, jalapenos, cream cheese, and even soft boil eggs in the middle of this meatloaf just to change things up every once in a while.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
So, someone linked this yesterday and did a tap dance because a published study found no improvement on covid patients from hydroxychloroquine, with or without azithromycin (as an aside, that someone would root for a treatment to fail is utterly incomprehensible to me).

So, I read the study (instead of the hot takes) and what was prescribed to these patients was 6% to 22% of the dosage
"that has been reported to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 replication in vitro." Instead, they used the recommended dose for rheumatoid arthritis, theorizing that increasing dosage to achieve the concentration of hydroxychloroquine "reported" to inhibit Covid in a test tube "might increase the risk of adverse events." While it's entirely possible that a higher concentration would "increase the risk of adverse events," not using this concentration defeats the purpose of conducting any study at all.

This study answers a question nobody asked: "will hydroxychloroqine help Covid patients when you give them 1/5 to 1/20th of the minimum researchers needed to generate positive results in cell cultures?"

I don't know what that's supposed to prove, exactly, other than that a treatment protocol that doesn't work on human cells in a test tube also doesn't work on a human being in a hospital bed.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Before the other thread was closed there was discussion of meatloaf, cream cheese and jalapenos. Made this a couple months ago.
Do the hard boiled egg thing...totally worth it

JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED MEATLOAF RECIPE INGREDIENTS

• 1.5 lbs ground beef, or ground pork (or half of each for extra flavor)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup crushed pork rinds, ground flaxseed, or almond flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbs mustard powder
  • 1 tsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce if you prefer)
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup cooked bacon
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
  • 5 tbs AlternaSweets Keto Ketchup
ZKWf0gh6gTeaTi-5mZ8HGjR-06QVRd7N2DaacDTo1PqYaAfKOhfRdUJe4z9ToYfvyqY0RdU1n6GOxGRuX2y5utL2AeKpnnAvXyvPEy5HemqNMknLoqRkM9LcD7HHDsmA5NMcfQRasEkE-9szH2W4Vmp5qli3jOb8-2E=s0-d-e1-ft

JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED MEATLOAF RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS

Add the ground beef, chopped onion, garlic, pork rinds, eggs, Italian seasonings, pepper, mustard powder and liquid aminos in a large bowl and mix it until it’s fully combined. Most of the time I use my (clean) hands instead of a spoon to mix it all together just like Grandma used to do too.
Spray non stick cooking spray into the bread pan and pour half the meat mixture into the pan.
Spread the softened cream cheese on top of the bottom meatloaf layer.
Add the jalapenos and bacon bits.
Top the meatloaf with the second half of the meat mixture.
Add extra AlternaSweets Ketchup to the top of the meatloaf, then cover it with foil before you bake it.
Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour.
TIP: You can add it to one large bread pan or two small bread pans. If you use two small bread pans this meatloaf will cook faster! I’ve done this when my family hungry and wants dinner faster.
You can do lots of different stuffed meatloaf variations too!
We’ve added cheese, spinach, olives, jalapenos, cream cheese, and even soft boil eggs in the middle of this meatloaf just to change things up every once in a while.

I make my meatloaf in a large turkey roasting pan.

3lbs of meat, break up about 8/10 slices of bread, 3 eggs - 1 per lb of meat, chopped green/red peppers, onions and pepper and garlic salt. Mix it all up and make into loaf. Stuff whatever you want in the center. Place in roasting pot after butter is rubbed over the inside of the pot and top of meatloaf. Then put shaved parmesan cheese over the top. Then complete it with 2 family sized tomato soup cans (Campbells) overtop. Can't stand crispy meatloaf skin, put roaster lid on and cook for 1 hour at 350/375 . Pull out and cut in half /baste and put it back in for 30 min.

Done...

I get asked to make this for family functions sometimes making more than one. Nothing really has changed from what my mother did other than stuffing it (not always) and the tomato soup, well... that and I used to put mustard on hers. I can do that with the leftover sandwiches.

I make it big because I want those leftover sandwiches. Cut the meatloaf lengthwise in half (already cut in half widthwise for baking quicker) and slice up both halfs. Perfect slices for sandwiches.

Mouth is watering as I type...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wouldn’t .002 be 1 out of 50,000?

If 1% is 1/100 then .1% is 1/1000.

Shit that doesn’t make sense now.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Dang that sounds good. Although I'm slightly different as I like a bit of crisp/texture on my meatloaf
But the rest sounds fantastic- I'll have to try that bad boy out!

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
@vikingGoalie

"so 4000 more recorded deaths, currently they report 10K covid 19 deaths in NYC. COVID-19: Data - NYC Health
so are you saying 14K total deaths out of a population of 8.7M. where does 1/500 come from? just help me out with the math you are using here... "

17.2k deaths was likely the true number at that point, which is confirmed deaths + deaths reported as probable for COVID + the "missing" deaths that have not yet been reported as COVID.

17,200 / 8.7 M =.002

k, got it. sorry was having a brain fart i realized it right after i hit post. thx

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
1) Props to @ZeroPucksGiven for dope recipes. It actually makes meatloaf look good. Props.
2) f*** meatloaf... burgers and tacos are better. Use the meat wisely. (Yes.. this will be an unpopular opinion lol)
3) I just know @Ogrezilla LOVES meatloaf
4) @HandshakeLin definitely uses 80/20. DISGUSTING.
:laugh: I was about to reply to comment 2 because meatloaf is great. That said, I have only ever made it for myself like twice. And meatloaf done wrong is not good, and it is apparently pretty easy to do wrong.

Also, you can't just make blanket statements about the beef ratio. Different meals call for different ratios. Maybe that's why you don't like meatloaf.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
:laugh: I was about to reply to comment 2 because meatloaf is great. That said, I have only ever made it for myself like twice. And meatloaf done wrong is not good, and it is apparently pretty easy to do wrong.

Also, you can't just make blanket statements about the beef ratio. Different meals call for different ratios. Maybe that's why you don't like meatloaf.

Meatloaf done wrong is an abomination.

Like I'd rather just not eat at all or make one of those butter and sugar sandwiches I used to love as a kid

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Dang that sounds good. Although I'm slightly different as I like a bit of crisp/texture on my meatloaf
But the rest sounds fantastic- I'll have to try that bad boy out!

Yep. Some like the crispy skin. You could still do the soup poured around the sides (not overtop) in the pot and not cover the pot to get the crispy skin. Some like doing the meat with rice like Pigs in the blanket. Mine is similar to that without the cabbage/rice and regular pepers/onions. I (my mother) do the bread to beef up the loaf to have more portions. I'm all for trying things different, but my kids wouldn't eat the Jalapenos. I have to fight to get them to eat veggies as is.

Not the healthiest meatloaf, that's for sure.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer. I guess I'm making chili and burrito bowls tomorrow instead of right now.

eca.jpg

actually that means I'm making something like chicken nuggets tonight, which I really love in a weird nostalgic kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad