Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How good is Coldplay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
My mother worked for Delta for 20+ years, I’ve been flying for 30. Let me ask you, has the airline experience gotten better over the last ten years or worse?

It's gotten cheaper! And that matters a lot. It's a way to get from A to B (and back). If I wanted to upgrade my experience to the level it was in the "old days," I could pay for it.
How Airline Ticket Prices Fell 50 Percent in 30 Years (And Why Nobody Noticed)

Also, their profit margin is 3.66%. Hardly rampant price-gouging.
American Airlines Group Profit Margin (Quarterly) | AAL

Reactions: billybudd

lmfl123

Jan 25, 2015
The "free market" party doesn't actually believe in that though. They just want government to be an accessory to further enrich plutocrats.

Frankly it’s done repeatedly by both sides and the sooner people recognize that the better things would be. Just different plutocrats getting rich depending on who is in power.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
My mother worked for Delta for 20+ years, I’ve been flying for 30. Let me ask you, has the airline experience gotten better over the last ten years or worse?

Depends what you mean by experience. The worst experiences I've had flying on business (since '87) were right before the internet bubble burst. All the planes were packed, people were stressed, and the planes were old, so you constantly had people reclining into your lap as soon as the plane took off (seats on a lot of the older planes could go back further than they can now). I remember asking a woman to please get her head out of my lap once and she completely blew a gasket. That's all better now, at least in my experience, but as far as amenities go, of course not. The airlines have chipped away as much as possible at those types of things, so it's a much less consumer friendly experience. That, plus the hub system still sucks for getting you somewhere on time (at least on the routes I tend to fly).

I remember watching interviews with the CEO of American (Crandall I think his name was) on business shows back in the day thinking this guy was one of the least likable individuals I'd ever run across, and he was never shy about talking about running the low-cost carriers of the day out of business. (Well, People's Express probably wasn't going to survive charging $29 to get from Pittsburgh to New York, but it was great for us college kids of the day). So perhaps my opinion is jaded by things like that.

Anyway - back to the original point - I don't think the world would miss a beat for very long if an airline or two went BK. Either they'd emerge without their old debts and their secured creditors and shareholders would suffer (and they all took those risks on), or they'd disappear and someone would take their place.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's gotten cheaper! And that matters a lot. It's a way to get from A to B (and back). If I wanted to upgrade my experience to the level it was in the "old days," I could pay for it.
How Airline Ticket Prices Fell 50 Percent in 30 Years (And Why Nobody Noticed)

Also, their profit margin is 3.66%. Hardly rampant price-gouging.
American Airlines Group Profit Margin (Quarterly) | AAL

Why are we quoting an article from 2013 about airline prices in 2020 especially consider we were still in the “Great Recession” in 2013?
At no time during its years of plenty did American improve how it treats its customers. Change fees went up to $200 for domestic flights and to $750 for international. Its widely despised baggage fees were hiked to $30 and $40 for first and second bags. These higher fees yielded billions of dollars, yet did not help the airline improve its on-time arrivals, reduce tarmac delays or prevent involuntary bumping. Instead, American’s main “innovations” were the removal of screens from its planes, the reduction of bathroom and seat sizes and the introduction of a “basic economy” class that initially included a ban on carry-on luggage.

American is essentially the spoiled rich kid making stupid decisions who is getting bailed out for their stupid decisions by their parents. Only instead of their parents it’s me and you and our children. It’s crazy to me that people are still defending this and it’s that type of stupidity that allows their stupidity to financially profit off of any situation they deem they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. T

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Long weekend, sunny, no clouds, warm. Good day to stay inside, right?

Nawwwwww....LET'S GO OUTSIDE AROUND PEOPLE!!!!! f*** people!

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
What's the Ayn Rand mythology? Talking a big game your whole life until the end is staring you in the face and then take government assistance?

Admiring a remorseless killer because he was a "superman" that did as he pleased? Quoting your own fictitious, poorly written, rapist character in your non-fiction work like he was an actual philosopher?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why are we quoting an article from 2013 about airline prices in 2020 especially consider we were still in the “Great Recession” in 2013?

American is essentially the spoiled rich kid making stupid decisions who is getting bailed out for their stupid decisions by their parents. Only instead of their parents it’s me and you and our children. It’s crazy to me that people are still defending this and it’s that type of stupidity that allows their stupidity to financially profit off of any situation they deem they can.

We were out of the recession by 2013. I thought it was a better article than this more recent one which I've attached down below.

The big airlines are/were well-run. They couldn't adapt to what COVID and our collective reaction did to them. There are a lot of well-run companies that are in the same boat. Whether they should be allowed to die anyway...maybe. I'll give you that. But I'm not going to rewrite the history books to say that they did it to themselves.

How much airfare in the US costs today compared to 10 years ago

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Leave it up to my ass to get the actual flu for the first time during this sort of thing. Your thoughts are truly appreciated!
So stoked to hear you don't have COVID! Influenza is a bitch, though. I had it five years ago and it took me three days to get the energy and courage to walk up the stairs to my bedroom from my living room couch. I was incapable of anything other than trying to sleep. The flu is awful.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Frankly it’s done repeatedly by both sides and the sooner people recognize that the better things would be. Just different plutocrats getting rich depending on who is in power.
If I may pick nits-- I think your theory is solid except I'm pretty sure the same plutocrats make bank irrespective of who is supposedly "running the show".

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Never had, Quisp.

The proper response like that would mean I had it worse, and though we were not rich, I did have things/toys. But that doesn't mean we didn't have fun with couch cushions to make forts, pots and pans, fireplace, slide down the steps on carpets/step railings, and a very ghostly basement. Heck... I was once thrown/rolled down all three flights by my dad. Not one bump or bruise, and the third floor steps had a 90 degree turn. All the way to the basement. I'd go out my bedroom window onto the flat roof and used our slate roof like a slide.

Yeah...I'm more like... That's it?

I think you're leaving out something(s).

We had toys when I was young. Not many though, my family was ironically rather poor for quite a while despite my father becoming a doctor. He actually was born in this area behind a beer garden and weighed on a meat scale. I always thought that background would have made for a great writer background for one in the vein of a Hemmingway. He got a full scholarship to college, but had to work in the cafeteria for his room and board, and partial scholarship to medical school and my mother paid for the rest of his medical school as a medical secretary.

In the 60's they made residents work long hours and paid them so little that one filed for, and got, welfare. The hospital in Miami raised the residents to $5 a month over welfare level in response. He did not really get paid until his training was finished in his upper 20's.

I remember my three main toys was a tricycle, a dog that was pulled behind me and the legs went around as if walking, and a push toy that had a dome and the balls inside were sent into the air in the dome as you pushed it. We had no clue that we did not have much, we just played outside and were fine, Eventually of course he opened his practice and things changed dramatically.

lmfl123

Jan 25, 2015
Yes, all of those communist plutocrats...

Name one that doesn’t. China sure does. Maybe North Korea if you want to go there. People in power always have their toadies and backers and will funnel money to them wastefully. Thinking otherwise is naive.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I live in semi-rural western North Carolina. Today was the 1st time I've been out (picking up a pre-made of sorts Easter Dinner via curbside pick-up from a local butcher shop) in over a month. The downtown area with all of the mom and pops was dead. Almost no one to be seen.

And then I drove by the Lowes. Jesus Christ. What a shit-show.

And NC is probably the best of all of the big states in handling this if you look at the raw numbers.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm doing grocery pickup at a walmart out near my parents on Sunday. They scored us some toilet paper out at a little store near ohio pyle, and Connelsville was the closest store we could get a pickup scheduled. But at least we never need to go inside anywhere to get our stuff.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
So stoked to hear you don't have COVID! Influenza is a bitch, though. I had it five years ago and it took me three days to get the energy and courage to walk up the stairs to my bedroom from my living room couch. I was incapable of anything other than trying to sleep. The flu is awful.

Ive been sleeping or in bed for 3/4 of the day. I usually have enough energy to spend breakfast, lunch and dinner and some hang out time on the couch with my wife between 7-11, but around 10:30 I’m getting tired. I’m writing this right before I head to bed.

I’m taking cues from a friend and taking NyQuil through most of the day. I just feel bad for my wife. The dog is spending time with me so she’s all alone. At least now we know I’m non-COVID maybe she can go see her parents? I don’t know.

Either way I’m very glad I have a one story place.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am saying that maybe it might be better if people dumb enough to risk the lives of themselves, and worse their loved ones, for a Peanut Buster Parfait didn't get their genes into the gene pool.

Pop Quiz: What won't exist for the next 500 days?
A) Peanut Butter Parfaits
B) COVID19
C) A vaccine for COVID19

Think carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad