Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How good is Coldplay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
That is smart. I wish it were faster overall but good to get it to the most needy first.
Yeah it's smart. Mailing will not start until April 20 or April 27 I read as well. Also the IRS will add an 'update your information' web site sometime in late april / early may. Not sure how that will help, but I guess instead of waiting until August for the late late late last of stimulus payments you can add a direct deposit so you avoid waiting a few more months.

I'm going off 2018 tax filings too where I made significantly less. One good thing by holding on on filing my 2019 taxes =]

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah it's smart. Mailing will not start until April 20 or April 27 I read as well. Also the IRS will add an 'update your information' web site sometime in late april / early may. Not sure how that will help, but I guess instead of waiting until August for the late late late last of stimulus payments you can add a direct deposit so you avoid waiting a few more months.

I'm going off 2018 tax filings too where I made significantly less. One good thing by holding on on filing my 2019 taxes =]

Will you get a refund in 2019? It'd be nice to also get that injection of liquidity into your life.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don’t think your daughter was ever in doubt as she is a full dependent like my kids.
Yeah. I was figuring we would get the full 2900, but the back of my mind I was preparing worst case scenario of only 1200. (having a permanant resident spouse / daughter on ssi).

Can finally put my mind to ease... got the full 2900 paid out.

I'm already shopping and favoriting the websites for 0001 Wednesday morning =]
GPU 2060 SUPER
Monitor, not sure but 1440p (maybe ultra wide, don't know yet)
Possibly Nikon P900 for wifey (even if we aren't using it my father would melt if I let him borrow that... so if not only for my wife, my father would really appreciate that camera (his wife would never let him buy it even with stimulus monies =P))
Some clothes for wife and kid, maybe some jordan retro 4's for me.

Saving the rest of 1000+ for as needed.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Will you get a refund in 2019? It'd be nice to also get that injection of liquidity into your life.
Yep. Not worried about that though (we are fine on money... but instead of being tight with it how we are now we will buy a few toys and save the rest (just posted what we are going to buy to stimulate the economy)

Also, if they pay out again, another stimulus if this lockdown continues into may / june I'd rather use my 2018 filings for. I'll file my 2019's a week or two before the deadline.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The only way this ends: herd immunity - The Boston Globe

Adding this here - I don't think Herd Immunity is the panacea and I don't trust journalism professors to understand a single number...but it does have good stuff from Lipsitch who IMO has been the most sensible and balanced epidemiologist throughout all of this.

I'll quibble on his model's conclusions from my armchair, though. I don't think after you let up it spreads as the same rate as before (what their model is based on). We're so attuned to COVID now and I think a series of simple regulations and behavioral changes can put average people into way less close physical proximity to others (the driver of transmission) than they were in during February.

More from him: Coronavirus ‘is the Big One: Harvard epidemiologist

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah. I was figuring we would get the full 2900, but the back of my mind I was preparing worst case scenario of only 1200. (having a permanant resident spouse / daughter on ssi).

Can finally put my mind to ease... got the full 2900 paid out.

I'm already shopping and favoriting the websites for 0001 Wednesday morning =]
GPU 2060 SUPER
Monitor, not sure but 1440p (maybe ultra wide, don't know yet)
Possibly Nikon P900 for wifey (even if we aren't using it my father would melt if I let him borrow that... so if not only for my wife, my father would really appreciate that camera (his wife would never let him buy it even with stimulus monies =P))
Some clothes for wife and kid, maybe some jordan retro 4's for me.

Saving the rest of 1000+ for as needed.

My wife wants to put the kids money in their savings and ours in our saving.

I slightly argued my daughter’s $500 should go towards her travel hockey because that shit is like 5k if she makes tier 2-3.

She is thinking on it so whatever.

Reactions: LOGiK

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Anyone...

Do you think a 2060 SUPER can handle this monitor for gaming?
Or would I need a 2070 / 2070 SUPER?

Are you a human?

That monitor is SICK.... and pretty damn attractive price. Same price (lower quality obviously) as the curved non ultra wide screen 1440p I was going to get.

Cross reference to say a 42"/49" tv which work well for pc monitors. I've gone from 32" to 42"/43" to 50" for gaming systems and PC monitors. There are the moments you watch movies and tv from them as well, and tv's are so darn cheap anymore where I'd never drop below 42"/43". Especially if I was gaming. It's all the difference in seeing the fine details. Getting a better peripheral view. Never regretted it, whereas, when I bought the 32" and seeing with a 42" or greater was incredible. You are in the game.

I upgraded my son's gaming system to a 50" and wow....My other son's system is a 43", but he doesn't use it as much so no biggie.

Talk with the guys at Best Buy by phone and they'll steer you straight on the the right model for what you'll need. Curbside pickup I believe.

Reactions: LOGiK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Name one that doesn’t. China sure does. Maybe North Korea if you want to go there. People in power always have their toadies and backers and will funnel money to them wastefully. Thinking otherwise is naive.

Yes, I am totally naive about the hellhole of totalitarian states. Go off, king. Tell me something about Central Europe while you're at it. Is it in the East or West of Europe?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The only way this ends: herd immunity - The Boston Globe

Adding this here - I don't think Herd Immunity is the panacea and I don't trust journalism professors to understand a single number...but it does have good stuff from Lipsitch who IMO has been the most sensible and balanced epidemiologist throughout all of this.

I'll quibble on his model's conclusions from my armchair, though. I don't think after you let up it spreads as the same rate as before (what their model is based on). We're so attuned to COVID now and I think a series of simple regulations and behavioral changes can put average people into way less close physical proximity to others (the driver of transmission) than they were in during February.

More from him: Coronavirus ‘is the Big One: Harvard epidemiologist

The problem with the “herd immunity” train of thought is that we don’t know if people can get this again, how long it takes for them to get this again, and if it is worse the second time around. Plus the whole problem of overwhelming the medical system and blahblahblah.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The problem with the “herd immunity” train of thought is that we don’t know if people can get this again, how long it takes for them to get this again, and if it is worse the second time around. Plus the whole problem of overwhelming the medical system and blahblahblah.

Yeah, I don't think herd immunity is the way to go.

But I am completely convinced that we can get this thing to grow linearly and not exponentially.

Which is what the original social contract of "flatten the curve" was all about. Some people get it and some of those die. But the case fatality rate doesn't multiply because the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

Remember that? I do. Before goalposts started going in really weird places. Now it seems like the most likely outcome is that we're gonna go super restricted in April, arbitrarily declare victory when deaths are trending downwards across the lower 48 sometime in May and then just go full YOLO on a second wave.

At least I'm pretty sure I'll be able to watch the Pens play on TV in Edmonton or North Dakota or something.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Be interesting to see how you can transition back from the germophobe world we have created.

You can never know when a virus might mutate, so, how do you justify pulling back sanitizing or mask wearing from these intense levels? What if you are patient zero 0f COVID-22? How can a company or government truly say it is safe to be on a jungle gym or in a store again?

How do you get this cat back in the bag without being totally liable for whatever in the future.

Seems like the social contract we should be discussing is that life is inherently risky and, beyond basic human rights, can not be ensured or guaranteed. Proceed with your own caution.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
People have pretty short memories, especially against invisible enemies. I mean, we aren't all terrified of zee Germans. Plus most people are way too gross to be germaphobes.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
People have pretty short memories, especially against invisible enemies. I mean, we aren't all terrified of zee Germans. Plus most people are way too gross to be germaphobes.

Yes. To an individual level, yes. But what about on a macro level, where Costco is spraying carts down and having lines stretch 500 feet, in a feeble attempt at social distancing?

It will be funny if they ever STOP doing that, now that it has been started.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Yes. To an individual level, yes. But what about on a macro level, where Costco is spraying carts down and having lines stretch 500 feet, in a feeble attempt at social distancing?

It will be funny if they ever STOP doing that, now that it has been started.
Oh they will for sure. That's costing them money in extra hours, cleaning supplies, etc... Once covid 19 is in the rearview mirror it will be business as usual.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Two things are concerning me about the shift towards "lets bank on herd immunity" theory for future waves. One, lots of reports coming in from SK, etc. about previous patients that have recovered and are now getting reinfected a 2nd time weeks/months later. If that's actually happening, it means herd immunity will be a short lived (if all) phenomenon. Second, and might be a related but better possibility than the first, is that infections are really lasting a long time. Large local hospital is retesting infected/positive employees that have recovered symptomatically and are outside the recommended quarantine timelines. None of them are testing negative. None.

That second one could point to possible false negative tests in the first scenario, but the larger and larger # for issue one might be hard to explain away.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The false negative for the virus test is like 30%...it’s hugely high...the tests aren’t very accurate...sorry to tell @Mario_is_BACK!! that...

I’m coming to cough on you!

So when I got the call about my test being negative, my reaction was pretty bland. The nurse on the line said “That’s far less enthusiastic than most people.” I replied to her that I’m glad I don’t have it, but then I’d at least have a name to what’s knocking me out. Do I want it? No. But it’s been relatively manageable (with a few scary days). If it’s COVID then fine. Now I don’t know what I have, I just know I have something and it’s knocking me out.

Reactions: Jacob and Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I see that, and while it's nice to have some hope, I immediately think of the last touted 100% cure method... which, in the end did not nearly have 100% cure and has been disavowed by every legitimate medical publication.

So, hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up faster.
i'm not sure what you are referring to,

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I see that, and while it's nice to have some hope, I immediately think of the last touted 100% cure method... which, in the end did not nearly have 100% cure and has been disavowed by every legitimate medical publication.

So, hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up faster.
not sure what you are referring to. but there is a lot of missimformation out there for sure.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m coming to cough on you!

So when I got the call about my test being negative, my reaction was pretty bland. The nurse on the line said “That’s far less enthusiastic than most people.” I replied to her that I’m glad I don’t have it, but then I’d at least have a name to what’s knocking me out. Do I want it? No. But it’s been relatively manageable (with a few scary days). If it’s COVID then fine. Now I don’t know what I have, I just know I have something and it’s knocking me out.

I hope you’re improving some...you should consider getting tested again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->