OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
They shouldn't be lol

Being a landlord is just as much a risky investment as anything in the stock market. Only that you're trading livelihoods and the right to shelter instead of other people's work

Besides, landlords have gotten WAY more protection through this crisis than working class folks who need to, uh, pay rent to live and got some lousy f***ing crumbs that don't cover a month's rent in most metro areas.
Believe it or not....
Airbnb asks people to donate money to landlords, backlash ensues

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I actually think Florida might have reported LOWER daily test totals because it fits the political narrative down there. Just like some numbers *might* have been over-reported in places where the political/financial narrative fit that. I'm really not picking sides here, you are.

I have a strong background in clinical research, I'm not talking out of my ass. When I was a bright eyed naive youth I saw many a doctor adjust hypothesis to fit the data, leave out numbers that didn't fit the paper. Big Pharma is the biggest culprit with this as well, it kills me. So I learned not to trust everything I read. It sucks and was a very hard lesson. It's important to understand how to read research to spot the weaknesses, deficiencies, and biases. And EVEN then you can only catch a % of it.

And yes EVERYTHING MIGHT BE bullshit. The incentives are astounding to show results and numbers fitting a narrative. FOR BOTH SIDES. The difference between me and you is I'm not taking a side here. You feel that I am because I question your gods and faith and that makes you upset with me, but trust me conservatives hate me too because I question their BS and statements based on shit, just as strongly, if not more so.

I'd go take a look at the southern COVID threads but I'm worried my head would explode from the conservative narrative. I'm in NY so it just happens to be mostly liberal posts I take on and try to 'debunk', but it happens to be there's generally less BS in the liberal narrative than conservative (though both have their fair share).

I dont make assumptions about who you vote for. There are a lot of people pushing these ideas for many different reasons. There's a lot of people who dont wanna believe this and just look for any excuse to shout SEEE! It's bullshit. These people don't help at all. They're not interested in solutions.

This really isn't directed at you but the reality is you make decisions based on the information you have available. We're not going to be right every time. You learn and adjust. Not making a decision and just claiming everything is bullshit isn't an option anymore. We tried that. It failed.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
and how angry they get rather than having the intelligence to have a conversation.
You gotta massage egos throughout discussions to keep the anger simmering and not boiling. Truly only the best of friends can actually discuss it calmly, and even then emotions start to boil when everyone isn't on the same page.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If the population is normally distributed it kind of is the same thing.
The stupid are WAYYYYY on the end of the left (side, not political leaning!) of the curve, smaller in numbers but compensating with their dumbness, so it throws off the Median from the Mean lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get that... but at the same time I don't. You pay them to stay home now and then what? What jobs will they go back to when 75%+ of all bars/restaurants in the US have permanently closed? The number is already above 50%. What about the bar owner who might have to declare a personal bankruptcy? Who is going to protect him/her? What about the building owner who lost a tenant and loses that rental income? How will they be compensated? What if closing bars doesn't fix the problem? What do we close next and what other industry will we begin to strangle? The chain goes on and on.

As much as I wish it was as simple as you make it seem (and I am not being sarcastic, I really do), it isn't.
We're going to be in this spot regardless. These industries will fail if the virus is out of control for an extended period of time.

Like I've been saying all along, I think we need to be aware of what our options actually are.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The stupid are WAYYYYY on the end of the left (side, not political leaning!) of the curve, smaller in numbers but compensating with their dumbness, so it throws off the Median from the Mean lol

Well, all jokes aside the people way on the left side likely have some form of mental Pejorative Sluration (I'm using this clinically not insultingly).

Edit: Was there no opportunity to censor the word instead of making it look like a cartoon? "Mental ret*rdation" is a scientific term as far as I know to this day, the fact that it's used as a pejorative doesn't mean that it can't be used scientifically. This censor makes my post look silly now.

Last edited:
Reactions: romba

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5FC54D73-C85B-4429-BD80-5635E2E72B2B.jpeg

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Well, all jokes aside the people way on the left side likely have some form of mental Pejorative Sluration (I'm using this clinically not insultingly).

Edit: Was there no opportunity to censor the word instead of making it look like a cartoon? "Mental ret*rdation" is a scientific term as far as I know to this day, the fact that it's used as a pejorative doesn't mean that it can't be used scientifically. This censor makes my post look silly now.
Your point was clear, just thought the word was missing.

They're trying to eliminate the word, even when used properly. Honestly, imagine you used it properly on SM but some SJW takes it out context and blasts you for using it and it goes viral. These days better safe than sorry and just leave all questionable words in the 90's era.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

I work for an agency that serves the disabled population, it's referred to as intellectually disabled nowadays.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I didn't know that. Seems kind of stupid. The term itself was never offensive, it became offensive because people used it with malice.
I was involved more directly with the population served before I was moved to finance a long time ago, and nearly every time somebody indicated they had an intellectual disability they were just misunderstanding what the term meant.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was involved more directly with the population served before I was moved to finance a long time ago, and nearly every time somebody indicated they had an intellectual disability they were just misunderstanding what the term meant.

Isn't it "differently abled" now?

Reactions: Krams

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They shouldn't be lol

Being a landlord is just as much a risky investment as anything in the stock market. Only that you're trading livelihoods and the right to shelter instead of other people's work

Besides, landlords have gotten WAY more protection through this crisis than working class folks who need to, uh, pay rent to live and got some lousy f***ing crumbs that don't cover a month's rent in most metro areas.
Really try to stay away from posting in here, but when you see a post that is so incredibly rife with utter ignorance, it really needs to be brought into the spotlight that it deserves.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
If the population is normally distributed it kind of is the same thing.
To quote the spartan ephors response to Alexander the Great: "If."

There's no reason to assume intelligence is normally distributed. IQ tests are specifically designed so that test results are normally distributed. It's just something we assume to make our models easier.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We're going to be in this spot regardless. These industries will fail if the virus is out of control for an extended period of time.

Like I've been saying all along, I think we need to be aware of what our options actually are.

Not to mention that "75% of bars permanently closed" is a red herring argument. Yeah, Johnny's Pub might permanently close, but guess what? There was a pretty high probability it was going to at some point anyway and then there's an even higher chance Danny's Pub opens in the space and likely hires all of the ex-Johnny's Pub employees who apply. That industry is always on a razor's edge. Yeah, it sucks for Johnny, but the people who worked for Johnny won't be better or worse off without him.

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad