OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah exactly, with sports coming back the end of this month it will help but still are restricted with how many people can come in and whatnot. Sadly normalcy won’t happen for awhile and still don’t think we will go back to how things were.

NJ and NYC cannot even sit inside yet. I saw a bar in NJ set up a bar and table tops outside with TVs. But they are really depending on the weather. Unless they like Pina Colada's and getting caught in the rain. Lol. A lot of these places though have rented those large tents as well to help in case of bad weather.
I read an article today that said 53% of restaurants that temporarily closed due to Covid are now permanently closed. Another shut down could put that number up above 80%. Many of the ones that reopened won't be able to stay open for long after taking that revenue hit for a few months and now not being able to operate at full capacity.

Normal could happen if people just wore their masks. I hate wearing this thing. I really do. But it isn't about me and as much as I detest wearing these f***ing masks all day, I'd rather wear them and have some semblance of normalcy than the alternative.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I read an article today that said 53% of restaurants that temporarily closed due to Covid are now permanently closed. Another shut down could put that number up above 80%. Many of the ones that reopened won't be able to stay open for long after taking that revenue hit for a few months and now not being able to operate at full capacity.

Normal could happen if people just wore their masks. I hate wearing this thing. I really do. But it isn't about me and as much as I detest wearing these f***ing masks all day, I'd rather wear them and have some semblance of normalcy than the alternative.

The masks don't bother me too much. Even ordered some themed ones, like some of my favorite pro sports teams, and some TMNT ones. lol. I feel for these businesses. I was fortunate for my business to be able to work remotely and was a smooth process. But a lot of retail, personal services and restaurants/bars may never recover from this and it's sad. Like you said another shutdown will be the final nail for a lot of these places, and some barely even got by after the first shutdown.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm Ukrainian Jewish American (this is important since I'd be called a xenophobe otherwise), Russian speaking older people are the worst when it comes to taking precautions, MAYBE second to American country bumpkins. I was at a restaurant on Sunday, it was outside seating but the waitress didn't even pretend to wear a mask or social distance, not the first time I saw that either. I've seen restaurants with indoor seating. Some Russians can't live without their Florida vacation (in the summer!) just stupid, ignorant selfish people.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

Have you been seeing any higher mask compliance where you are?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The masks don't bother me too much. Even ordered some themed ones, like some of my favorite pro sports teams, and some TMNT ones. lol. I feel for these businesses. I was fortunate for my business to be able to work remotely and was a smooth process. But a lot of retail, personal services and restaurants/bars may never recover from this and it's sad. Like you said another shutdown will be the final nail for a lot of these places, and some barely even got by after the first shutdown.

The KN95 ones can be taxing. That is why I dislike them so much and that is what I was provided by my office (I am grateful though).

Interesting to note, reports now coming out that Florida labs have FUBAR'd reporting test results unlike anything you can imagine. Many clinics were reporting 100% of tests being positive.

If I am reading this correctly, on July 11th, every COVID test in Orlando was reported as positive, with Orlando dept of health admitting it should be less than 10% positive rate. :laugh: That has to be intentional. 50+ labs across the area don't all make a mistake of that magnitude at the same time.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The KN95 ones can be taxing. That is why I dislike them so much and that is what I was provided by my office (I am grateful).

Interesting to note, reports now coming out that Florida labs have FUBAR'd reporting test results unlike anything you can imagine. Many clinics were reporting 100% of tests being positive.

If I am reading this correctly, on July 11th, every COVID test in Orlando was reported as positive, with Orlando dept of health admitting it should be less than 10% positive rate. :laugh: That has to be intentional. 50+ labs across the area don't all misreport their results that poorly.

I'm going to Disneyland! lol.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The KN95 ones can be taxing. That is why I dislike them so much and that is what I was provided by my office (I am grateful though).

If I am reading this correctly, on July 11th, every COVID test in Orlando was reported as positive, with Orlando dept of health admitting it should be less than 10% positive rate. :laugh: That has to be intentional. 50+ labs across the area don't all make a mistake of that magnitude at the same time.

Could you send that link?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
FOX 35 INVESTIGATES: Florida Department of Health says some labs have not reported negative COVID-19 results

Giving this another read through, I don't think it changes the number of positive cases... but not reporting the negative results would have a major impact on the mortality rate.

The article is very confusing. "Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate" but then only lists a couple random examples, none of which actually had 100% positive. Hard to really understand the scope of the problem here.

These labs with reporting errors absolutely need to be looked into though.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yes, to an extent, although I don't know how much that is due to more places mandating masks be worn. Wife and I went to Sprouts Farmers Market yesterday and masks are mandatory.
Man I miss sprouts! Back in the day when i was commuting back and forth to san diego I would hit up the Sprouts in pacific beach as much as possible

Reactions: NYR Viper

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The article is very confusing. "Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate" but then only lists a couple random examples, none of which actually had 100% positive. Hard to really understand the scope of the problem here.

These labs with reporting errors absolutely need to be looked into though.

Indeed it is a bit confusing. But whether it is 88%, 98%, 76%, they are all ridiculously, almost criminally bad.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but a friend who has military connections told me and I've heard from others since that the government was paying hospitals $8,000 (I think) per Covid death. I feel like there's some shady shit going on.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Indeed it is a bit confusing. But whether it is 88%, 98%, 76%, they are all ridiculously, almost criminally bad.

Unfortunately, with the details in the article I don't know whether its malice or incompetence. Whether this was a 1 day reporting thing or it's been going on for a long time.

But, I agree. Needs to be looked into further, and most importantly fixed, so it doesn't happen going forward. Can't make decisions on how to proceed with faulty info.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I'm not one for conspiracy theories but a friend who has military connections told me and I've heard from others since that the government was paying hospitals $8,000 (I think) per Covid death. I feel like there's some shady shit going on.

This gets floated around a lot and I haven't seen one single piece of real evidence that corroborates this.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This gets floated around a lot and I haven't seen one single piece of real evidence that corroborates this.

Well, I don't know what would you call evidence? Not like the US would admit this. If it's coming from the military then they probably know things that you don't hear on CNN. I mean maybe it's a rumor in the military itself, who knows?

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Well, I don't know what would you call evidence? Not like the US would admit this. If it's coming from the military then they probably know things that you don't hear on CNN. I mean maybe it's a rumor in the military itself, who knows?

And what motive would the military have to do that?

That money has to come from somewhere. There would be plenty of opportunities to have it leaked where this money is coming from or hospitals receiving it. The alternative is that every hospital admin is in on this and not a single one has spoken up....

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Unfortunately, with the details in the article I don't know whether its malice or incompetence. Whether this was a 1 day reporting thing or it's been going on for a long time.

But, I agree. Needs to be looked into further, and most importantly fixed, so it doesn't happen going forward. Can't make decisions on how to proceed with faulty info.

Oh yeah. Not nearly enough into to know if it was criminal. But I agree, the important point is that 4-5 months in we still don't have reliable info.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And what motive would the military have to do that?

That money has to come from somewhere. There would be plenty of opportunities to have it leaked where this money is coming from or hospitals receiving it. The alternative is that every hospital admin is in on this and not a single one has spoken up....

I don't know what motive the military has. The person I mentioned is one of my best friends and he wouldn't lie. He said he has military contacts. But the military is made up of imperfect people and maybe they're giving misinformation, intentionally or not.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I don't know what motive the military has. The person I mentioned is one of my best friends and he wouldn't lie. He said he has military contacts. But the military is made up of imperfect people and maybe they're giving misinformation, intentionally or not.

Certainly not accusing your buddy of knowingly lying. I just don't see how it makes sense and I don't see why it should be believed with no actual evidence.

I believe this is what his claim stems from - Fact check: Medicare pays hospitals more money for COVID-19 patients

So hospitals were getting paid more Covid related treatments, but nothing about listing things as a death. Again, can't imagine what the motive for that would be. But, even with all that, if hospitals were gaming the system that would require them to tell their doctors to incorrectly report Covid. And I would imagine there would be a bunch of whistleblowing doctors if they were getting orders from up high to misdiagnose their patients.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Certainly not accusing your buddy of knowingly lying. I just don't see how it makes sense and I don't see why it should be believed with no actual evidence.

I believe this is what his claim stems from - Fact check: Medicare pays hospitals more money for COVID-19 patients

So hospitals were getting paid more Covid related treatments, but nothing about listing things as a death. Again, can't imagine what the motive for that would be. But, even with all that, if hospitals were gaming the system that would require them to tell their doctors to incorrectly report Covid. And I would imagine there would be a bunch of whistleblowing doctors if they were getting orders from up high to misdiagnose their patients.

I think he said they were paid for deaths, I don't think it was cases. I don't know if it's true or not. Although the government, hell every government is shady. I'll never be surprised by stories like this.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I think he said they were paid for deaths, I don't think it was cases. I don't know if it's true or not. Although the government, hell every government is shady. I'll never be surprised by stories like this.

Haha, thats fair. My general rule of thumb though is if it requires thousands, if not millions, of people to turn a blind eye to in order to keep it a secret probably isn't true.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Haha, thats fair. My general rule of thumb though is if it requires thousands, if not millions, of people to turn a blind eye to in order to keep it a secret probably isn't true.

No group that large has ever been able to keep a secret.

Of course, it's not exactly a secret if we're hearing about it.

Reactions: Fireonk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad