OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s bigger than that, though! Say you get it. You’re asymptomatic. You pass it on to some antivaxx idiot. They play host to this and create a new variant. Shit starts alllllll over again.

Don’t let your guard down. Mask up, wash your hands, blah blah blah. At this point it’s what we DON’T do that is gonna bite us in the ass because of either the idiots who won’t get vaccinated or the fact that we’ve created an artificial vaccine shortage throughout the world.

I always wear masks inside. That said at a certain point I can't go every day with the weight of the pandemic on my shoulders.

Reactions: Barnaby

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I’m traveling internationally next weekend and both countries I’m visiting require negative PCR tests no more than 72 hours old.

Meanwhile, my flight to these countries is 15 hours long, which gives me a small window as it is. I’ve spoken to multiple testing centers in the city and none of them can guarantee results back in less than 48 hours because of the mass hysteria caused by the Delta variant.

So now I’m left taking PCR tests 3 days in a row, hoping I get my results back in time, or paying out the ass for an expedited test. What a nightmare - I’m thankful people are getting tested regularly, but had my trip been two weeks earlier, prior to wildly alarmist stories coming out about breakthrough cases, this wouldn’t be an issue at all.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I’m traveling internationally next weekend and both countries I’m visiting require negative PCR tests no more than 72 hours old.

Meanwhile, my flight to these countries is 15 hours long, which gives me a small window as it is. I’ve spoken to multiple testing centers in the city and none of them can guarantee results back in less than 48 hours because of the mass hysteria caused by the Delta variant.

So now I’m left taking PCR tests 3 days in a row, hoping I get my results back in time, or paying out the ass for an expedited test. What a nightmare - I’m thankful people are getting tested regularly, but had my trip been two weeks earlier, prior to wildly alarmist stories coming out about breakthrough cases, this wouldn’t be an issue at all.

Try finding a local clinic rather than like a CityMD. I got my results back in less than 24 hours.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Try finding a local clinic rather than like a CityMD. I got my results back in less than 24 hours.

How recently did you get a test? I think a lot of this changed in the past few weeks. The place I’ve gone before has been able to turn results around in 24 hours. Not this time though. Did you pay for it to be expedited?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How recently did you get a test? I think a lot of this changed in the past few weeks. The place I’ve gone before has been able to turn results around in 24 hours. Not this time though. Did you pay for it to be expedited?

Last Saturday. It took like somewhere between 10-12 hours (my memory is failing me).

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@SnowblindNYR I'm not gonna fight about it if you're not but the best way to protect your parents would be for you to also be vaccinated. Vaxxed to vaxxed spread is still extremely rare and it's generally nothing if it happens.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s pathetic. No amount of these articles is gonna reverse the thinking of some. The damage has already been done unfortunately.
It's a bit if a "boy who cried wolf" situation.

Covid should be taken seriously AND we've had mixed messaging and the media pushing panic. Both of those things are true, which is part of why it became so divisive.

I definitely think people should get vaccinated and I would be scared if I wasn't. At the same time, I think once you are -for now- there's an excellent chance that you're gonna be just fine. I got vaccinated and my family got vaccinated so we could live our lives.

A lot of what you hear lately is pushing "no still don't do that!" and it just pushes mistrust in a very good tool that we have at our disposal and basically punishes those who got it. Everyone I know who got a vaccine got it to get out of the house, not feel marginally safer in their house.

As far as masks go, I still wear them in stores and on public transit. I never stopped even when the CDC lifted it. That's my personal choice based on the fact that doesn't really bother me and in close quarters, it couldn't hurt. I never wore them outside and if I'm popping into the bodega for two seconds, I don't.

And that's because you need at least several minutes of exposure to catch covid. It doesn't just smack you in the face walking down the street. I don't know why that hasn't been pushed more. It gives you a lot more understanding of what's safe.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's a bit if a "boy who cried wolf" situation.

Covid should be taken seriously AND we've had mixed messaging and the media pushing panic. Both of those things are true, which is part of why it became so divisive.

I definitely think people should get vaccinated and I would be scared if I wasn't. At the same time, I think once you are -for now- there's an excellent chance that you're gonna be just fine. I got vaccinated and my family got vaccinated so we could live our lives.

A lot of what you hear lately is pushing "no still don't do that!" and it just pushes mistrust in a very good tool that we have at our disposal and basically punishes those who got it. Everyone I know who got a vaccine got it to get out of the house, not feel marginally safer in their house.

As far as masks go, I still wear them in stores and on public transit. I never stopped even when the CDC lifted it. That's my personal choice based on the fact that doesn't really bother me and in close quarters, it couldn't hurt. I never wore them outside and if I'm popping into the bodega for two seconds, I don't.

And that's because you need at least several minutes of exposure to catch covid. It doesn't just smack you in the face walking down the street. I don't know why that hasn't been pushed more. It gives you a lot more understanding of what's safe.

There are studies now saying that vaccinated people do in fact have a smaller chance of transmitting. Yet the CDC was falling all over themselves to announce how the chances of transmission are the same and now the anti-vaxxers are all I told you so. The CDC has mishandled this every step of the way.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think you're fine then.

I know somebody who did development research on covid vaccines (yes, he's an actual scientist) and he gave me a clear "go for it" on being around other vaccinated people.

I'm concerned that my dad's doctor told him not to get vaccinated before he has a surgery. Now that the surgery has been postponed I don't know if that's still the suggestion.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Alright, take it easy man.

(East Village, but I’ll hoof it a decent distance if I can get a free PCR test that is turned around in 12-24 hours ;) )

Yeah, it's kind of far where I live, but if you're willing to take an hour long subway ride it's 1655 East 13th st. Brooklyn, NY 11229. All Health Diagnostic & Treatment Center. They'll text you the results so you only need to make the trip once.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x89c244eb50c22083:0x147dc4980b0b43ee!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPRYH0FDNL-RFwP0guqIHLVWUOjqJLshjzQfwDl=w240-h160-k-no!5sall health medical group - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPRYH0FDNL-RFwP0guqIHLVWUOjqJLshjzQfwDl&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZkoer0pjyAhV_GVkFHaySDhEQoiowC3oECEUQAw

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm concerned that my dad's doctor told him not to get vaccinated before he has a surgery. Now that the surgery has been postponed I don't know if that's still the suggestion.

That's a tough one :dunno:

I would say maybe seek multiple opinions on that.
There are studies now saying that vaccinated people do in fact have a smaller chance of transmitting. Yet the CDC was falling all over themselves to announce how the chances of transmission are the same and now the anti-vaxxers are all I told you so. The CDC has mishandled this every step of the way.

My researcher buddy explained to me exactly why that was bunko.

Basically their "finding" is that if you have an acute symptomatic breakthrough infection (i.e. you're f***ing sick) then you may give off just as much contagion as an unvaccinated person who is just as sick.

If you're saying to yourself "no shit" then congrats, you're correct. A layperson with no medical knowledge at all could have told you that sneezing and hacking people are contagious. That's like, not news.

It doesn't take into account that vaccinated people are way less likely to get that sick and that the vaccine cuts down asymptomatic and presymtomatic load.

It also doesn't take into account whether people around you are also vaccinated and the resistance that they'll have.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Going to be interesting to see what happens.

I know at least 4 out of the 6 people (not a reduction in fraction, literally 4 out of 6/two thirds) in my company are vaccinated, but since we go into random peoples' homes/businesses every day, it's going to be pretty much play it by ear every day/job will have to interview clients/flat-out require masks.

Obviously masking up is safer than not masking up, even if you're vaccinated, just because it's impossible to tell who is vaccinated/not vaccinated without checking for immunization records and whatnot each time. And I know for a fact that the two others in my company aren't/won't get vaccinated and have even said out loud that they will stop patronizing businesses that require masks despite being vaccinated.

We should be past this, but it's just hard especially when we mostly work in a county where just over 60% has gotten their first does, but just over 50% have gotten a second dose.

We're far beyond the stage of "it's hard to get a vaccine shot/we need to reserve a shot far ahead of time"

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's a tough one :dunno:

I would say maybe seek multiple opinions on that.

My researcher buddy explained to me exactly why that was bunko.

Basically their "finding" is that if you have an acute symptomatic breakthrough infection (i.e. you're f***ing sick) then you may give off just as much contagion as an unvaccinated person who is just as sick.

If you're saying to yourself "no shit" then congrats, you're correct. A layperson with no medical knowledge at all could have told you that sneezing and hacking people are contagious. That's like, not news.

It doesn't take into account that vaccinated people are way less likely to get that sick and that the vaccine cuts down asymptomatic and presymtomatic load.

It also doesn't take into account whether people around you are also vaccinated and the resistance that they'll have.

I skipped an event I really wanted to go that was with other vaccinated people because I got paranoid that I might be sick and transmit it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Going to be interesting to see what happens.

I know at least 4 out of the 6 people (not a reduction in fraction, literally 4 out of 6/two thirds) in my company are vaccinated, but since we go into random peoples' homes/businesses every day, it's going to be pretty much play it by ear every day.

Obviously masking up is safer than not masking up, even if you're vaccinated, just because it's impossible to tell who is vaccinated/not vaccinated without checking for immunization records and whatnot each time. And I know for a fact that the two others in my company aren't/won't get vaccinated and have even said out loud that they will stop patronizing businesses that require masks despite being vaccinated.

We should be past this, but it's just hard especially when we mostly work in a county where just over 60% has gotten their first does, but just over 50% have gotten a second dose.

We're far beyond the stage of "it's hard to get a vaccine shot/we need to reserve a shot far ahead of time"
Good news/bad news, vaccination rates have spiked since delta hit.

It shouldn't have taken that but here we are.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I skipped an event I really wanted to go that was with other vaccinated people because I got paranoid that I might be sick and transmit it.
Been there. No amount of research makes me not neurotic about everything. You guys know me.

If it bothers you, maybe just wait until the situation with your dad is sorted out, and then you're ok.

There's no nightmare variant on the horizon (boy who cried wolf and all that, but we were warned about delta in May) and delta burns out quick. We should be headed for at least a bit of a valley.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Been there. No amount of research makes me not neurotic about everything. You guys know me.

If it bothers you, maybe just wait until the situation with your dad is sorted out, and then you're ok.

There's no nightmare variant on the horizon (boy who cried wolf and all that, but we were warned about delta in May) and delta burns out quick. We should be headed for at least a bit of a valley.

I'm not going to stop going to places but that event I skipped because I would come in close contact with people. But it was stupid and the test as expected was negative and I'm regretting it a bit. But the CDC riled me the f*** up.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Good news/bad news, vaccination rates have spiked since delta hit.

It shouldn't have taken that but here we are.
Let's just say that one of the coworkers is about as close to a hick as you can get when not from a urbanized South as you can get, and the other is...well..uh...how to put this.....he believes the original moon landing was fake.

Otherwise, I'm just going to probably wear a mask as per what the client wants, and 100% wear one if it's a business/non-residential, as I'm already over the hill in regards to exposure with coworkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad