OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Just remembered to make this post but:

If you are among the crowd that won't get the vaccine but aren't among the crowd who can't get it due to actually legitimate medical or supply reasons:

Take a long walk off of a short pier.

mods if you delete this post you are worse than the user usekakkorightquinn

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Alright, take it easy man.

(East Village, but I’ll hoof it a decent distance if I can get a free PCR test that is turned around in 12-24 hours ;) )

City Hospitals I've heard turn it around in 24 hours.

Also, try booking an appointment through here. They're PCR tests that are guaranteed 24 hour turnarounds but it's usually 3-4 hours from my experience.

COVID-19: Rapid Testing

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Good news/bad news, vaccination rates have spiked since delta hit.

It shouldn't have taken that but here we are.

My theory is that a sizable portion of the anti-vaxxers were hoping that others would get vaccinated and give them herd immunity. Get the benefits of the vaccine without the work but when they saw that wasn't happening they decided to get it.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Get vaccinated, low risk of getting Covid and maybe mildly sick

Don’t get vaccinated, higher risk of getting Covid and maybe hospitalized

Those are the choices

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Just remembered to make this post but:

If you are among the crowd that won't get the vaccine but aren't among the crowd who can't get it due to actually legitimate medical or supply reasons:

Take a long walk off of a short pier.

mods if you delete this post you are worse than the user usekakkorightquinn

... and here's the problem. This is America: let people make their own decisions. This is the type of foolish grandstanding that we see today. Do what I believe or F off.

I got CoVid... really didn't bother me much at all. I only knew that I had it because my coworker got it so I went to get tested. I then proceeded to get the vaccine when it became available (I have elderly parents) and felt like I was going to die for 3 days. Now, do I regret getting the vaccine? Eh, don't feel strongly one way or the other, but is it really going to help me going forward? Now, I'm hearing, you can still get CoVid, but it won't be as bad. It wasn't bad the first time. So I can still infect my parents? If I could go back in time, then I really might pass. I think it's completely reasonable to have some concerns about it.

Sadly, this became way more political than it should've been and will continue to be the same going forward and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My theory is that a sizable portion of the anti-vaxxers were hoping that others would get vaccinated and give them herd immunity. Get the benefits of the vaccine without the work but when they saw that wasn't happening they decided to get it.
And we were probably getting there but delta's ability to spread raised the threshold.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Get vaccinated, low risk of getting Covid and maybe mildly suck

Don’t get vaccinated, higher risk of getting Covid and maybe hospitalized

Those are the choices

Very low chance of being hospitalized depending on your age.

I definitely see why people don’t want to get a new vaccine when they don’t know the long term effects, and they aren’t worried about getting COVID in the first place. They also probably have the mindset of *why don’t you just go protect yourself and get the vaccine if you want, it’s not my job to protect you*. Plus in some areas even if you are fully vaccinated your not treated any differently than those who aren’t, another reason they feel there is no need to.

To an extent I can honestly see their points if that’s the case. Only reason I got mine is so I don’t spread it to others. I couldn’t care less about the risk of getting it or the very low risk of being hospitalized from it. In a hypothetical situation this vaccine didn’t help prevent spread, there’s not a chance I’d touch it.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I couldn’t care less about the risk of getting it or the very low risk of being hospitalized from it. In a hypothetical situation this vaccine didn’t help prevent spread, there’s not a chance I’d touch it.

this is where i think we’re playing roulette more than we think. Yeah, all things healthy and only Covid the risk appears minimal. Let’s not dismiss, the Flu was nowhere in site last year b/c so many wore masks. Honestly, how many even got sick in general?

Let’s say you did get the flu or something causing a bronchial inflamation which a mucinex could clear up or an anti-biotic. Pretty common right? Now let’s take a flu or cold effecting the lungs and add a Covid on top of it. Now you might actually be in trouble. The odds, imo, of being taken out just rose considerably. Why the heck risk it?

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
... and here's the problem. This is America: let people make their own decisions. This is the type of foolish grandstanding that we see today. Do what I believe or F off.

Americans can make their own decisions. Doesn't mean that those decisions don't have consequences (like being banned from public areas).

Many Americans think that freedom of choice means freedom of consequences. This shows me that many Americans are really dumb.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Very low chance of being hospitalized depending on your age.

I definitely see why people don’t want to get a new vaccine when they don’t know the long term effects, and they aren’t worried about getting COVID in the first place. They also probably have the mindset of *why don’t you just go protect yourself and get the vaccine if you want, it’s not my job to protect you*. Plus in some areas even if you are fully vaccinated your not treated any differently than those who aren’t, another reason they feel there is no need to.

To an extent I can honestly see their points if that’s the case. Only reason I got mine is so I don’t spread it to others. I couldn’t care less about the risk of getting it or the very low risk of being hospitalized from it. In a hypothetical situation this vaccine didn’t help prevent spread, there’s not a chance I’d touch it.

I mean, I'm fine with that. If that's the thought, the non-vaccinated should see a COVID exclusion on their health insurance (since health insurance is a pool, my premiums are paying for their treatment) as well as being banned from taking up ICU beds.

Not my job to protect them once they get sick.

Reactions: and 99 others

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I mean, I'm fine with that. If that's the thought, the non-vaccinated should see a COVID exclusion on their health insurance (since health insurance is a pool, my premiums are paying for their treatment) as well as being banned from taking up ICU beds.

don’t stop there tho. Smoking, Alcohol, obesity, high risk activities That cause injury and severe illness should also not be covered. All high risk activities that cost us billions upon billions that are all choice related.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
don’t stop there tho. Smoking, Alcohol, obesity, high risk activities That cause injury and severe illness should also not be covered. All high risk activities that cost us billions upon billions that are all choice related.

One is a pandemic and the other is not.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Idk anything about how you all do your health insurance. I’m Canadian so don’t have to deal with that. But yeah I’d say it would be fair to make em pay a bit more if they don’t get it. I wouldn’t say no ICU beds at all but there should be a very limited amount for them

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One is a pandemic and the other is not.
Like you said not my job to protect someone who smokes or eats fast food everyday to protect them yet we do. Or participates in other high risk activities no one is putting a gun to their head to do.

Costing us on our health insurance premiums like you mentioned.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
this is where i think we’re playing roulette more than we think. Yeah, all things healthy and only Covid the risk appears minimal. Let’s not dismiss, the Flu was nowhere in site last year b/c so many wore masks. Honestly, how many even got sick in general?

Let’s say you did get the flu or something causing a bronchial inflamation which a mucinex could clear up or an anti-biotic. Pretty common right? Now let’s take a flu or cold effecting the lungs and add a Covid on top of it. Now you might actually be in trouble. The odds, imo, of being taken out just rose considerably. Why the heck risk it?

Cant answer your first paragraph. All ik is that yeah there’s been a lot less cases. Been COVID cases instead.

For your second paragraph I’d risk it simply because of the low % of people in my age group dying from it. I’d take that risk over getting vaccinated when I have no clue what that will do in the future. Plus I’ve already got covid. Yeah it kicked my ass but it’s a damn virus like obviously I expected that, & Ik what it does to me now. I’ve also never got the flu shot and never had a terrible cold, so another thing that would impact my decision.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Like you said not my job to protect someone who smokes or eats fast food everyday to protect them yet we do. Or participates in other high risk activities no one is putting a gun to their head to do.

Costing us on our health insurance premiums like you mentioned.

Again, one is a pandemic and one is not. There's a pretty big key difference, there.

FWIW, I am all for charging people tobacco fees, alcohol fees, and obesity fees. My health insurer already charges tobacco surcharges (and I expect 99.9% of health insurers do these days). Those surcharges are not all that cheap, either.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Cant answer your first paragraph. All ik is that yeah there’s been a lot less cases. Been COVID cases instead.

For your second paragraph I’d risk it simply because of the low % of people in my age group dying from it. I’d take that risk over getting vaccinated when I have no clue what that will do in the future. Plus I’ve already got covid. Yeah it kicked my ass but it’s a damn virus like obviously I expected that, & Ik what it does to me now. I’ve also never got the flu shot and never had a terrible cold, so another thing that would impact my decision.

it's your choice while it's going to be the choice of airlines, buildings, companies, etc to allow or not allow those with or without proof of vaccination to enter their premises.

Reactions: and 99 others

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Again, one is a pandemic and one is not. There's a pretty big key difference, there.

FWIW, I am all for charging people tobacco fees, alcohol fees, and obesity fees. My health insurer already charges tobacco surcharges (and I expect 99.9% of health insurers do these days). Those surcharges are not all that cheap, either.

When it comes to years and years of paying thru the nose for smokers, drinkers, High risk takers there is no difference.
Now if you wanna keep unvaccinated out of the icu and let them die if hospitals are being overrun that’s another debate.
But in terms of cost it’s not even close which has caused our premiums to rise.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
When it comes to years and years of paying thru the nose for smokers, drinkers, High risk takers there is no difference.
Now if you wanna keep unvaccinated out of the icu and let them die if hospitals are being run that’s another debate.
But in terms of cost it’s not even close which has caused our premiums to rise

That's precisely why the surcharge exists.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
it's your choice while it's going to be the choice of airlines, buildings, companies, etc to allow or not allow those with or without proof of vaccination to enter their premises.

Yep I 100% see that being the case eventually. You won’t be forced to get it but you won’t be going back to your normal life until you do

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That's precisely why the surcharge exists.
Surcharge? I buy my own health insurance and have for almost 20 years thru a big health insurance company. The questioning for smoking is a joke. I am sure more than not lie. and some states don't even allow for the surcharge.
And there is an obesity surchage? Last time I checked there wasn't. Maybe on life insurance but not on health insurance.

And going back to your original statement you said a covid EXCLUSION. Which I assume means you should not be covered at all if you're not vaccinated right? So why should smoking related illness, Alcohol, High risk activities be paid by people who don't participate in those high risk activities?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing that kills me (beyond the anti-vax stuff, but I won't even touch that) are the people that are like, 100% I'm-vaccinated-and-never-wearing-a-mask-again. What's the big f***ing deal? I mean I've been wearing masks for the better part of a year and a half at this point. They don't even bother me anymore. I understand the frustration of people who have to work all day while wearing a mask, but like, is it such a hassle to have to put on a mask entering a restaurant to be seated, keep it on for five minutes until your chips and salsa come out, then take it off and resume your normal dinner? I just don't get it.

My wife's boss is apoplectic that kids are going to have to wear masks in school to start the school year. She's saying she'll pull her kid out if not offered the option for remote learning. I mean, can you imagine that? Her kid is 10, it's not like he's 2 and cries because he has to wear a mask. This woman is so adamantly opposed to masks, because freedom, that she'd rather make her kid sit at home away from all his peers for another year, than have guy wear a mask. It's absolutely crazy.

I was at the doctor this morning. Of course, you wear a mask. It occurred to me as I was in the reception area and there was this skeezy-looking guy coughing up a lung, "Masks are a pretty solid idea, I may wear masks in doctors' offices forever now." I mean really. Other than those uninformed crazies that have turned mask mandates into some sort of personal constitutional crisis, I just don't get why anyone really cares at this point. Don't people want this shit to go away? Isn't that the whole point? None of us WANT to wear masks or any of that, but it's being done now so we don't have to later. Some people can't see the forest for the trees, I guess.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
My favorite are those who preach masks force people to breath in toxic CO2 and deprive people of oxygen . . . despite healthcare workers wearing masks most of their careers including surgery lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad