OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Stimulus bill blocked in the senate. Lovely. Another vote at 9:45 am just as the market opens.

Also, it appears as if the N-95 mask shortage is actually Obama’s fault. :dunno: Who knew:

Hospital Workers Make Masks From Office Supplies Amid U.S. Shortage

There are many old-timers in Sweden that are really frustrated. Had this happened before the mid 90's we could just have leaned back and be totally set on all fronts. As a neutral country Sweden built up what was called a Total Defense that was intended to be able to fend of an attack by Soviet without help from Nato (realistic? No, but still really comprehensive). Over 7.5m gas masks in store that can handle both bio and viruses, a parallel hospital networks inside mountains around Sweden that could withstand nuclear attacks. Food for the entire population to survive an entire winter. Etc etc etc etc etc etc. Besides Sweden was one of the top producers of vaccines and medicines in the world, but all those companies (Pharmacia and Astra Zenica (I think)) was bought up and moved from Sweden.

I am sure its the same in the US. The capacity after WWII and the Cold War just isn't there yet. I am sure a ton can be made in a matter of months. But not over night.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It's better to be overly worried than not worried at all but yeah, you need to relax.

Agree. @SnowblindNYR stress and anxiety can cause as much (if not more) damage to you as the thing you're worried about. A small amount of stress is fine, as it can be your brain prodding you into action. Beyond that it can be counterproductive and even detrimental to your health. Take stock of your stress/anxiety and make sure it is serving you.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Agree. @SnowblindNYR stress and anxiety can cause as much (if not more) damage to you as the thing you're worried about. A small amount of stress is fine, as it can be your brain prodding you into action. Beyond that it can be counterproductive and even detrimental to your health. Take stock of your stress/anxiety and make sure it is serving you.

Thanks. :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On a more positive note, there are also reasons to think the death rate could be lower than feared. Asymptomatic carriers or those with mild symptoms are much more likely to not be counted among the infected, yet those who are seriously ill almost surely are. In mathematical terms there could be a big difference beween (deaths/known_infected) and (deaths/(known_infected + unknown_infected)).

Yeah, I think this is one of the most interesting information out there:
In one Italian town, we showed mass testing could eradicate the coronavirus | Andrea Crisanti and Antonio Cassone

Italy first recognized a public spread in a small city called Vo with 3,000 people. They put the entire city in quarantine and tested everyone, which makes it so interesting. Remember that this wasn't extremely late after the spread was noticed, but fairly early (they only had one death).

This is key information:
We made an interesting finding: at the time the first symptomatic case was diagnosed, a significant proportion of the population, about 3%, had already been infected – yet most of them were completely asymptomatic. Our study established a valuable principle: testing of all citizens, whether or not they have symptoms, provides a way to control this pandemic.

So over 50 percent basically had no symptoms or very mild symptoms (winter weather, you are always a bit cold like every other week, waking up with a sore throat that goes away when the body get moving etc). And another 20 percent had very mild but noticeable symptoms.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I think this is one of the most interesting information out there:
In one Italian town, we showed mass testing could eradicate the coronavirus | Andrea Crisanti and Antonio Cassone

Italy first recognized a public spread in a small city called Vo with 3,000 people. They put the entire city in quarantine and tested everyone, which makes it so interesting. Remember that this wasn't extremely late after the spread was noticed, but fairly early (they only had one death).

This is key information:

So over 50 percent basically had no symptoms or very mild symptoms (winter weather, you are always a bit cold like every other week, waking up with a sore throat that goes away when the body get moving etc). And another 20 percent had very mild but noticeable symptoms.

3% sounds low, but in a city like NY that would be 240,000 people. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if I had it given my commute.

Reactions: Ola

xbure9x

May 8, 2007
I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and we both wondered if the virus was here a long long time ago. Wuhan is an 11 million person city and JFK is one of the busiest international airports in the world. The first case was in November. Did it really just come here in March? I can't see it. Maybe people had it already and are immune.
I agree with this. My wife was sick in January for over a week. she is a teacher who had not taken a sick day since the birth of our daughter roughly 10 years ago. Had a low grade, 100-101 fever for about a day and then a persistent dry cough for a week, where she had these fits where she could not catch her breath. I've never seen her like that with a cough before. went to doc and flu test was negative, they told her it was "a viral illness" hmmm. She got an inhaler prescription and that helped her a lot when she couldn't catch her breath. Is very into cardio and missed about 3 weeks from the gym , but when she went back, she had no issues from it, back to normal pretty much.

I was out of work a day and a half during the same week she was sick with what I thought was a bad cold as well. Who knows if I had it also and it manifested differently in me. I just felt very tired, no fever, no cough, just very run down for a few days.

My son came down with a bad cough about a week after my wife was getting better and missed 4 days of school. He had a very low grade fever for a day also, but had the mainly dry cough for a good week. he is fine now.

my daughter escaped until about two weeks ago where she got strep and had a 103 fever for 4 days. I'm not saying hers was related because it didn't fit the timeline, but during the timeline, she didn't get sick at all.

of course it may have been something else, but my wife's symptoms line up with a lot of whats being reported out there.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Where does it say it's Obama's fault?

About halfway through the article. They used most of the stock during the Swine Flu epidemic and never replenished the stockpile.

The national stockpile used to be somewhat more robust. In 2006, Congress provided supplemental funds to add 104 million N95 masks and 52 million surgical masks in an effort to prepare for a flu pandemic. But after the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009, which triggered a nationwide shortage of masks and caused a 2- to 3-year backlog orders for the N95 variety, the stockpile distributed about three-quarters of its inventory and didn't build back the supply.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with this. My wife was sick in January for over a week. she is a teacher who had not taken a sick day since the birth of our daughter roughly 10 years ago. Had a low grade, 100-101 fever for about a day and then a persistent dry cough for a week, where she had these fits where she could not catch her breath. I've never seen her like that with a cough before. went to doc and flu test was negative, they told her it was "a viral illness" hmmm. She got an inhaler prescription and that helped her a lot when she couldn't catch her breath. Is very into cardio and missed about 3 weeks from the gym , but when she went back, she had no issues from it, back to normal pretty much.

I was out of work a day and a half during the same week she was sick with what I thought was a bad cold as well. Who knows if I had it also and it manifested differently in me. I just felt very tired, no fever, no cough, just very run down for a few days.

My son came down with a bad cough about a week after my wife was getting better and missed 4 days of school. He had a very low grade fever for a day also, but had the mainly dry cough for a good week. he is fine now.

my daughter escaped until about two weeks ago where she got strep and had a 103 fever for 4 days. I'm not saying hers was related because it didn't fit the timeline, but during the timeline, she didn't get sick at all.

of course it may have been something else, but my wife's symptoms line up with a lot of whats being reported out there.

I felt a little sick but no fever for some time. Maybe I was more or less asymptomatic, maybe I didn't catch it. All I know is that the WTC terminal is one of the busiest terminals in the country I would reckon. I went through it every day, it would almost be a miracle if I didn't catch it.

xbure9x

May 8, 2007
I felt a little sick but no fever for some time. Maybe I was more or less asymptomatic, maybe I didn't catch it. All I know is that the WTC terminal is one of the busiest terminals in the country I would reckon. I went through it every day, it would almost be a miracle if I didn't catch it.
She is a special ed teacher in garden city. I know the parents of the students were definitely all over the place, prob in the city all the time, and they would send the kids to school sick all the time, that's just how it is. If they didn't have fevers they would go to school. mind you they don't know proper hygiene so she was sneezed on, coughed on, spit on, snotted on every day.

we will never know cause there was no test, but I cant imagine a non flu illness being much worse than what she had. the coughing fits where she couldn't catch her breath is a pretty big giveaway, it has all the signs of Covid

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
She is a special ed teacher in garden city. I know the parents of the students were definitely all over the place, prob in the city all the time, and they would send the kids to school sick all the time, that's just how it is. If they didn't have fevers they would go to school. mind you they don't know proper hygiene so she was sneezed on, coughed on, spit on, snotted on every day.

we will never know cause there was no test, but I cant imagine a non flu illness being much worse than what she had. the coughing fits where she couldn't catch her breath is a pretty big giveaway, it has all the signs of Covid

That sucks but hopefully she built up an immunity.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
About halfway through the article. They used most of the stock during the Swine Flu epidemic and never replenished the stockpile.
I guess the question is what caused the backlog? Was it Congress not giving him the funds? Was it just a f*** up that were paying for now? Or was it...someone in his administration...he's got lots of people...administering....

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The sad truth here is there is no containing this..were gonna have to wait out a vaccine. If we could have stopped it early ..closed borders, then maybe we coulda contained it. But it's too late. At this point it's just about flattening the curve and slowing the spread to buy us time.

xbure9x

May 8, 2007
when was the last time you were at the terminal?

xbure9x

May 8, 2007
The sad truth here is there is no containing this..were gonna have to wait out a vaccine. If we could have stopped it early ..closed borders, then maybe we coulda contained it. But it's too late. At this point it's just about flattening the curve and slowing the spread to buy us time.
which is why they can't keep us on lockdown indefinitely. its out there just like the flu and everything else is out there. the elderly and immune compromised should be hyper vigilant in what they do to protect themselves, but for the rest of us, sure shut us down for a month to help stabilize things, but then you have to let us get back to normal. its true that the consequences of a prolonged lockdown are going to wind up being worse than the actual illness

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This....doesn't seem intelligent.

Question is, is someone who recovered still infectious. If not then there's no reason not to go back into society and a mask is just for show. If they are, then the mask won't fully stop transmission because they'll still infect others through touch and moments away from the mask

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I guess the question is what caused the backlog? Was it Congress not giving him the funds? Was it just a f*** up that were paying for now? Or was it...someone in his administration...he's got lots of people...administering....

As does every presidential administration. But just like our current president, it starts at the top. Whether you want to say he or his administration are responsible for it, I think they are essentially the same as he was responsible for the successes and failures of his administration. You know what I mean?

I really just found it interesting that something that happened 12 years ago is impacting us today.

Reactions: Barnaby

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
which is why they can't keep us on lockdown indefinitely. its out there just like the flu and everything else is out there. the elderly and immune compromised should be hyper vigilant in what they do to protect themselves, but for the rest of us, sure shut us down for a month to help stabilize things, but then you have to let us get back to normal. its true that the consequences of a prolonged lockdown are going to wind up being worse than the actual illness
I'd say the only way they can lift.thr lockdown is if we're at a point where...
1)we've proven you cant get reinfected and
2)were at point where the remaining population could all get sick simultaneously and not obliterate the healthcare system.

I haven't run the numbers but it's probably a simple formula. What percentage of infected people require ventilators since that seems to be the choke point.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
As does every presidential administration. But just like our current president, it starts at the top. Whether you want to say he or his administration are responsible for it, I think they are essentially the same as he was responsible for the successes and failures of his administration. You know what I mean?
To an extent. If Congress didn't give him the funds...the funds were gutted ,etc. There's lots of things that are not the fault of the administration.

Anyways not really looking to get into a political argument. Im very tired of it.. I'm more worried about how this will crush my mother's small business more than anything. I'd be very surprised if she doesn't have to declare bankruptcy after this finishes.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
F57E82D3-AEB1-41C6-BDD5-9875E2F497B5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad