OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I honestly feel like I've been living a nightmare that has been going on for more than a month with no end in sight. My parents are so f***ing essential and yet we never made much money. It's preposterous. At least I finally got my dad to stay home for 2 weeks. I might lose a parent or 2 before this thing is done and I'll probably drop dead of a heart attack.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I honestly feel like I've been living a nightmare that has been going on for more than a month with no end in sight. My parents are so f***ing essential and yet we never made much money. It's preposterous. At least I finally got my dad to stay home for 2 weeks. I might lose a parent or 2 before this thing is done and I'll probably drop dead of a heart attack.

sorry if you mentioned already but how old are your parents?

and sadly we are seeing that some of the most 'essential' jobs are paid extremely poorly

Reactions: Ori

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
sorry if you mentioned already but how old are your parents?

and sadly we are seeing that some of the most 'essential' jobs are paid extremely poorly

59 and 63 but they're smokers and my dad I'm pretty sure has REALLY shitty lungs, he coughs a lot.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Hang in there man.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
3M CEO on COVID-19 response: We have a unique and critical responsibility | 3M News | United States

500k masks on the way to the most heavily affected areas in the US, which are Seattle and NYC, and estimating 35M a month for the next 12 months. A couple of other places are also going to be making respirators.

America is going to build themselves out of this coronavirus just like they built their way out of WWII.

Great news to see. Any company planning mass production of ventilators? Need that and then mass test distribution and we're in business.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
3M CEO on COVID-19 response: We have a unique and critical responsibility | 3M News | United States

500k masks on the way to the most heavily affected areas in the US, which are Seattle and NYC, and estimating 35M a month for the next 12 months. A couple of other places are also going to be making respirators.

America is going to build themselves out of this coronavirus just like they built their way out of WWII.

Great news to see. Any company planning mass production of ventilators? Need that and then mass test distribution and we're in business.

Motor companies are on this from what we know. Ford and GM are offering the services and my guess will be on it.

When crisis hits, we see the best of everyone come out and help. You hope things like this can continue even when not in crisis mode.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
It's going to take a while. Today in NYS around 5000 new cases added and over 15000 total. I don't think all of them are hospitalized or on ventilators but Cuomo says NYS has 6000 ventilators total. We can't afford to have more days like that or people are going to start dying in big numbers. Cuomo also said the federal govt. has about 12000 ventilators but he also added there are 50 states that are clamoring for them.

Forget about banks, forget about jobs, forget about the economy, forget about next hockey season. This state and quite possibly/probably this entire country is going to turn into one big gigantic hospital soon. People are going to have to put their social lives on hold and I mean really. No one should be out and about without a real good reason. We're really going to need that vaccine to get anything restarted again. At least that's the way it looks to me today.
Keep in mind that the numbers we see will continue to go up along the exponential growth curve until 10 to 14 days after the extreme measures were implemented. This is because of the incubation period of the virus plus time to develop symptoms. We have to be prepared for these numbers to continue to jump up until about ten days after lockdowns were implemented. Only then will we know what the impact of the lockdown was on the growth rate of infection and hospitalization.

We'll see them go up substantially for at least another week I would guess based on the timeline the various measures taken in New York. It doesn't mean the measures didn't work, the infections starting to show symptoms and end up at the hospital began before the lockdowns. It's going to look bad, but we can't give up hope.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
People still lining/clumping up for the ice cream truck on Long island.

Kids out playing in the street like it's summer vacation.

My block basically had a weekend long block party.

I swear, Suffolk county is full of idiots.

We need the state to start fining people.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Keep in mind that the numbers we see will continue to go up along the exponential growth curve until 10 to 14 days after the extreme measures were implemented. This is because of the incubation period of the virus plus time to develop symptoms. We have to be prepared for these numbers to continue to jump up until about ten days after lockdowns were implemented. Only then will we know what the impact of the lockdown was on the growth rate of infection and hospitalization.

We'll see them go up substantially for at least another week I would guess based on the timeline the various measures taken in New York. It doesn't mean the measures didn't work, the infections starting to show symptoms and end up at the hospital began before the lockdowns. It's going to look bad, but we can't give up hope.

I do appreciate a lot of your posts here Khelvan.

Like a lot of people I have more optimistic days mixed in with some not so optimistic moments. Sometimes the urge to say something is there anyway. I'm fortunate in that I don't have so much of the cabin fever issues that others here have and mainly because I don't live in a big city. I live in a house up a hill on an acre of land with woods around me and a large fenced-in yard for the dogs to run around in. The fence was put in for the kids because it overlooks about a 100' freefall to a creekbed below. That's not a bad situation compared to people locked into a small space in an apartment house building. I also have well water and am about 5 minutes by car to a large grocery store and about the same in another direction to another one. So I am lucky compared to a lot of other people.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Don’t keep the news on 24 hours a day. Your parents will be fine. I’m a police officer so I’m going into work every day and I’ll be fine as well. If I get the disease I’ll get two months off. I can’t imagine that people in medical billing are in contact with a ton of people. The fatality rate is really low on this thing - Id be concerned if I was 87 with stage 4 cancer, not a healthy adult.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Don’t keep the news on 24 hours a day. Your parents will be fine. I’m a police officer so I’m going into work every day and I’ll be fine as well. If I get the disease I’ll get two months off. I can’t imagine that people in medical billing are in contact with a ton of people. The fatality rate is really low on this thing - Id be concerned if I was 87 with stage 4 cancer, not a healthy adult.

She's not in contact with a lot of people and she said she's at the very least staying home today and tomorrow, we'll see. Maybe I'm being financially irresponsible and she'll lose her job, I don't know.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
She's not in contact with a lot of people and she said she's at the very least staying home today and tomorrow, we'll see. Maybe I'm being financially irresponsible and she'll lose her job, I don't know.

I wouldn’t recommend that someone quit over a well under 1% fatality rate IF you get the disease. Just be smart and cautious. We should all be wary, but I wouldn’t get too hyped up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn’t recommend that someone quit over a well under 1% fatality rate IF you get the disease. Just be smart and cautious. We should all be wary, but I wouldn’t get too hyped up.

I feel like the rate is higher than that from what I heard, just that there's a lag in how long that happens. But hopefully, you're right. I wonder if I'm ODing here. Maybe I'm being irresponsible.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
People still lining/clumping up for the ice cream truck on Long island.

Kids out playing in the street like it's summer vacation.

My block basically had a weekend long block party.

I swear, Suffolk county is full of idiots.

We need the state to start fining people.

grew up in Suffolk County. It’s little Alabama

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
I feel like the rate is higher than that from what I heard, just that there's a lag in how long that happens. But hopefully, you're right. I wonder if I'm ODing here. Maybe I'm being irresponsible.
On a more positive note, there are also reasons to think the death rate could be lower than feared. Asymptomatic carriers or those with mild symptoms are much more likely to not be counted among the infected, yet those who are seriously ill almost surely are. In mathematical terms there could be a big difference beween (deaths/known_infected) and (deaths/(known_infected + unknown_infected)).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
On a more positive note, there are also reasons to think the death rate could be lower than feared. Asymptomatic carriers or those with mild symptoms are much more likely to not be counted among the infected, yet those who are seriously ill almost surely are. In mathematical terms there could be a big difference beween (deaths/known_infected) and (deaths/(known_infected + unknown_infected)).

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and we both wondered if the virus was here a long long time ago. Wuhan is an 11 million person city and JFK is one of the busiest international airports in the world. The first case was in November. Did it really just come here in March? I can't see it. Maybe people had it already and are immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad