Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
COVID has turned out to be a boon for narcissists to playact virtuousness with zero risk of acquiring any.
Great post.

Some of us actually live in the epicenter of this thing and go to work everyday in the worst stricken part (Brampton). Some of us have been back to work since May, 2020! Yet it's often people who are nowhere near this who are obsessing over this and smugly judging people for having the wrong opinion.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting to see, I guess from this perspective Canada did a good job protecting it's currency.

Canadian dollar is world's best-performing currency this year, and analysts see more room to run | Financial Post
Yes but always remember as it goes up it hurts Canada's ability to export which 80% of everything we make we export and tourist from States don't come when our $$$ is too expensive ... so always remember, by design, it has to come back to around 68-70 cents on US$ to make Canada more productive as we can't survive at our standard of living off of services

Reactions: cbbb25

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
Yes but always remember as it goes up it hurts Canada's ability to export which 80% of everything we make we export and tourist from States don't come when our $$$ is too expensive ... so always remember, by design, it has to come back to around 68-70 cents on US$ to make Canada more productive as we can't survive at our standard of living off of services

Yep, id argue more 73-77 is our sweet spot but same idea.

This is interesting though for Bank of Canada because they cant throw cold water on it. Normally they can use the threat of interest rate cuts but that wont work, they will most likely use some interesting words to try to signal to the market they dont like it above 80 cents but who knows if that works.

My bet is bank of Canada accepts defeat and allows the loonie to hang around 78-82 cents until the US fed starts raising rates (2022 in my mind) After that we stay about .25-.50 behind them to allow for weakness in the loonie.

One aspect I'm watching closely is oil. If it keeps going up then the loonie could hit levels not seen in a nearly decade.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep, id argue more 73-77 is our sweet spot but same idea.

This is interesting though for Bank of Canada because they cant throw cold water on it. Normally they can use the threat of interest rate cuts but that wont work, they will most likely use some interesting words to try to signal to the market they dont like it above 80 cents but who knows if that works.

My bet is bank of Canada accepts defeat and allows the loonie to hang around 78-82 cents until the US fed starts raising rates (2022 in my mind) After that we stay about .25-.50 behind them to allow for weakness in the loonie.

One aspect I'm watching closely is oil. If it keeps going up then the loonie could hit levels not seen in a nearly decade.
It might temporarily but we lose 75,000-100,000 jobs on average in Canada for every half a point over 78 cents based on some regression analysis I saw from our CIBC bank rep about a year ago so eventually Bank of Canada will cut rates like so many asian countries have done ... they will take it right down to zero if they have too .,.. i can't see us going as far as Japan where companies pay da bank fees monthly to hold money for them ... it is just too foreign a concept here

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It might temporarily but we lose 75,000-100,000 jobs on average in Canada for every half a point over 78 cents based on some regression analysis I saw from our CIBC bank rep about a year ago so eventually Bank of Canada will cut rates like so many asian countries have done ... they will take it right down to zero if they have too .,.. i can't see us going as far as Japan where companies pay da bank fees monthly to hold money for them ... it is just too foreign a concept here

Apparently financial institutions have projects underway to make sure they can handle NEGATIVE interest rates on "investments". In a sense there already are some negative interest rate accounts without the consumer taking note: a chequing account with annual fees for example is essentially a negative interest rate account.

More troubling is this thing I saw on twitter about how the U.S. has been creating money like crazy :amazed::

EwXZ7KAXIAAr5dK

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our positivity rate is spiking in Peel and as per my neighbour doc at emerg at Trillium COVID hospitalizations are up significantly past 2-3 days ... d*mn was hoping we were not getting 3rd wave but folks we are now in it ... hope it does not get bad in rest of province ... but looks real bad for Peel and Toronto ... well looks like we will need help again from other health care regions in province ... big shout out to Halton for your help on 2nd wave

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Apparently financial institutions have projects underway to make sure they can handle NEGATIVE interest rates on "investments". In a sense there already are some negative interest rate accounts without the consumer taking note: a chequing account with annual fees for example is essentially a negative interest rate account.

More troubling is this thing I saw on twitter about how the U.S. has been creating money like crazy :amazed::

EwXZ7KAXIAAr5dK

This is exactly why I switched to all-in on real estate. A hard asset is always exactly what it is. And if they're printing money so much that it's going to devalue the currency substantially, I'd rather owe that currency to someone else instead of them owing it to me.

I have similar views about the housing market. I'm enjoying the real estate boom right now but should it turn into a bubble and collapse, I'd rather have a large mortgage than be all in on my own. Worst case scenario is "OK, here's your house, you own it now." In the last 3 months I've gone from money in the bank and completely debt/mortgage free to nothing in the bank and owing millions in mortgages/credit lines but I now own 4 properties (2 residential, 2 commercial).

Fun times.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
America’s opening up and we’re talking about lockdowns and field hospitals.
America is starting to piss me off. they haven't approved use of the Zeneca vaccine. The company has over 30 million doses available but the country won't allow the company to export any until every American has had their vaccine shot. How bad is that?

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
America is starting to piss me off. they haven't approved use of the Zeneca vaccine. The company has over 30 million doses available but the country won't allow the company to export any until every American has had their vaccine shot. How bad is that?

you want 30 million doses of the vaccine that a bunch of countries have suspended the use of?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Great post.

Some of us actually live in the epicenter of this thing and go to work everyday in the worst stricken part (Brampton). Some of us have been back to work since May, 2020! Yet it's often people who are nowhere near this who are obsessing over this and smugly judging people for having the wrong opinion.

What is the wrong opinion?

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
I think you would know my feelings on that but I don't want to come across as an antivaxxer. If someone wants it by all means go for it. It shouldn't be withheld from those that do.

So forget about safety and just administer a drug that may actually kill people?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
BBYPhSa.img

More than the Second World War: Here's the eyewatering debt Canada is racking up
Tristin Hopper 5 hrs ago
Like16 Comments|4

The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada

Italy's Draghi says EMA comments on AstraZeneca vaccine encouraging

accused the Liberals of spending on the “shoulders of future generations.”
BB1eDUBr.img
© Provided by National Post Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland delivers the 2020 fiscal update in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on November 30, 2020.
Fast forward six years, and Canada’s deficit for fiscal year 2021 is projected to top out at an eyewatering $381.6 billion. We’ve all gotten used to massive quantities of borrowed money being thrown around during COVID-19 (particularly when the Americans keep approving trillion-dollar spending bills ) but Canada is currently burning through borrowed money at a rate that is unprecedented in our history.
We can discuss debt-to-GDP ratio and other such metrics at a later time, but below are a few comparisons to illustrate the utterly gargantuan amount of debt-financed money currently flowing out of federal coffers.
Canada is borrowing $27.80 per citizen, per day
Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
There are 37.6 million people in Canada as of last count. Divide that by our total 2020 federal deficit and you have $10,151.63 in borrowed money for every single homo sapiens with a pulse living under the Maple Leaf. This means that for each day of 2020, every single one of us was having roughly $27.80 borrowed on our behalf — or a 15-pack of Molson Canadian from The Beer Store . The amount owing goes up considerably when you consider that upwards of 40 per cent of Canadians do not pay any effective income tax . When the figure is broken down among the taxpayers who will actually be expected to cover it, we’re looking at about $46 per day ( which will buy you a two-four at The Beer Store ). Oh, and the federal debt just passed $1 trillion for the first time .
BB1eDIE5.img
Borrowing beer in such daily quantities rarely ends well.
We could have paid for another Second World War
Until the onset of COVID-19, it was generally agreed that the Second World War was the most expensive thing that Canada had ever undertaken. Government expenditures rose 4,000 per cent nearly overnight, and by 1943 Canada had one of the world’s largest navies and a powerful enough army to capture and occupy swaths of Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands. From 1939 to 1950, the conflict cost Canada $21.8 billion . When converting that into 2021 dollars, that’s about $386 billion. Granted, modern-day Canada has a much larger population and GDP. Nevertheless, in a single 12-month span, we ran up enough deficit to pay the shipping and handling on every single bullet, shell and bomb we threw at Nazi Germany in the 1940s.
BB1eDIE7.img
© Ingenium Archives, CN Images of Canada Collection, X-14719 Just some of the shells that Canada lobbed at fascist Europe. At the time this photo was taken, the country was paying and equipping more than 1 million uniformed personnel.
The COVID deficit is more than double every other 21st century deficit combined
After 11 consecutive years of posting budget surpluses, in 2008 Canada’s finances veered back into the red as a result of the Great Recession. Even then, the worst year for spending yielded a deficit of only $56.4 billion. In fact, if you add up all the deficits from 2008 to the first fiscal year of the COVID-19 pandemic, the total is $147 billion . These years were definitely not Canada’s finest hour in terms of living within our means, but it’s worth noting that 10 years of blow-out-the-budget spending was matched by only five months of spending under COVID.
BB1eDZ8D.img
© Postmedia Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2009, back when a $50 billion deficit was considered extreme.
Just one year of Canada’s borrowed COVID spending could have bought two Apollo programs
The U.S. program to land humans on the surface of the moon cost about US$25.4 billion in the early 1970s, which is equivalent to roughly $194 billion in modern Canadian dollars. This means that with only one year’s deficit, Canada could twice cover the entire cost of a pioneering space exploration program. And Apollo wasn’t just Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin getting a trip to the moon in 1969: That money covers five manned expeditions to the lunar surface, one failed expedition that turned into a Ron Howard film and even that weird 1975 mission where an Apollo capsule mated with a Russian one in orbit .
BB1eDZ8I.img
© NASA Like this, except the astronaut would be named Gord.
It’s more than five years’ worth of global gold production
From Klondike streams to South African pits, there are thousands of gold mines around the world employing millions of people in the search for everyone’s favourite shiny metal. And if Canada could somehow seize every single gold-producing facility on the planet earth, the resulting mountain of treasure would only cover one fifth of our most recent COVID deficit. World gold production was 3,531 tonnes in 2019, which is about as heavy as a respectable mid-sized cargo ship. At current gold prices (which have been driven up substantially by the pandemic), all that gold is still going to cover only about CAD $76.2 billion.
BB1eE1qT.img
© Dieter Nagl/AFP/Getty Images This 100 kg gold coin would fund about 15 minutes’ worth of Canadian deficit accumulation.
The deficit could have paid for enough Confederation Bridges to join Canada and Ireland
Completed in 1997, the 12.9 kilometre bridge to Prince Edward Island was constructed for the modern equivalent of about $1.54 billion. This means that at Canada’s rate of 2020 deficit accumulation, Ottawa could have financed a Confederation Bridge roughly every 36 hours. By year’s end that would be equal to 248 bridges spanning a total of 3,200 kilometres. Obviously the Atlantic Ocean would demand a much more complex bridge design, but 3,200 km happens to be the near-precise distance between St. John’s, Newfoundland and Dublin, Ireland.
BB1eDSfg.img
© Google Maps Give or take a few bridges.
Remember when we ran up that massive surplus in 2001? We’re borrowing the equivalent every 28 days
In 2001, years of fiscal belt-tightening under Prime Minister Jean Chretien yielded one of Canada’s proudest moments of fiscal responsibility: An 11-figure surplus of $19.891 billion. It was a magnificent comeback after a 1990s fiscal crunch so dire that Canadian debt could only be loaned out at Third World interest rates. In 2021 dollars, however, the 2001 surplus is only about $28.5 billion or, about 28 days’ worth of federal deficit under the current budget. Canada’s economy is much larger than the 1990s and thus able to handle higher quantities of sovereign debt, but this might be a good place to mention that our debt-to-GDP-ratio is fast approaching the 66 per cent rate that almost ruined Canada 30 years ago.
BB1eE1qZ.img
Paul Martin weeps.
• Email: [email protected] | Twitter: TristinHopper

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-16_14-58-13.png
    upload_2021-3-16_14-58-13.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
The governing body deems it safe, the person wants it. That should be the whole enchilada, nobody else's business.

AZ vaccine hasn't been proven to create blood clots any more than the natural rate. It's a bunch of politicians in Europe responding to media panic

Fair enough. I didn't realize Health Canada released a statement this morning confirming that there is no evidence of adverse events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad