ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Anyone else dealing with roommates who won't take the stay at home order seriously? I have a roommate who is still going camping with friends in other states every weekend, spending every other night at her boyfriends who is an essential worker entering random people's homes, she is constantly going hiking and drinking with random friends, her non-essential work is remodeling during the crisis and she is going there everyday and interacting closely with god knows who. It is super frustrating because four of us live in small three bedroom place and if one of us get this thing it is almost a certainty that we will all get it. I tried to bring up some of my issues before she left for the weekend but she accused me of being just as bad when I went and chatted with an old girlfriend (who got back from traveling internationally ~10 days ago). She was convinced that I slept with her when all we did was chat from across a lawn. It doesn't help that she is a messy, inconsiderate roommate in general either.

I can't say I've been perfect with this stay at home order. I've visited my friend who runs a bike shop, have drank beers at a good social distance catching up with friends, and have been out on local trails almost every day. I'm just trying my best to stay sane and healthy during this nonsense and I feel like I can't even be comfortable at home. It's not like I can move out right now either.

If anyone has any advice on how to talk to her when she returns from this trip about changing her ways, I'm all ears. She's stubborn as a rock but I still hold some hope that I can convince her to cut out at least some of the issues I mentioned.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Anyone else dealing with roommates who won't take the stay at home order seriously? I have a roommate who is still going camping with friends in other states every weekend, spending every other night at her boyfriends who is an essential worker entering random people's homes, she is constantly going hiking and drinking with random friends, her non-essential work is remodeling during the crisis and she is going there everyday and interacting closely with god knows who. It is super frustrating because four of us live in small three bedroom place and if one of us get this thing it is almost a certainty that we will all get it. I tried to bring up some of my issues before she left for the weekend but she accused me of being just as bad when I went and chatted with an old girlfriend (who got back from traveling internationally ~10 days ago). She was convinced that I slept with her when all we did was chat from across a lawn. It doesn't help that she is a messy, inconsiderate roommate in general either.

I can't say I've been perfect with this stay at home order. I've visited my friend who runs a bike shop, have drank beers at a good social distance catching up with friends, and have been out on local trails almost every day. I'm just trying my best to stay sane and healthy during this nonsense and I feel like I can't even be comfortable at home. It's not like I can move out right now either.

If anyone has any advice on how to talk to her when she returns from this trip about changing her ways, I'm all ears. She's stubborn as a rock but I still hold some hope that I can convince her to cut out at least some of the issues I mentioned.
Phone the police.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is no teeth to (most) stay at home orders. Police can't do anything. That's also why they won't work all the well here in the US... it is fighting an uphill battle in an individualistic country.

Frankly, being outside and hiking are some of the best things you can do to 'social distance.' Now that gets thrown away when camping with people you aren't exposed to routinely... but even then, being outside exposes the virus to harsher conditions and there is typically less shared surfaces.

Reactions: madman

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Phone the police.
Even if there was something law enforcement could do to punish her I wouldn't call them. She is my other roommates sister. I don't think calling the police before trying to reason with her would go over very well.

Frankly, being outside and hiking are some of the best things you can do to 'social distance.' Now that gets thrown away when camping with people you aren't exposed to routinely... but even then, being outside exposes the virus to harsher conditions and there is typically less shared surfaces.
I've been getting outside for 3-4 hours everyday in the past week and a half and it has been amazing. I feel sooooo much better in comparison to the first week+ of staying almost exclusively inside. I also am lucky to live in a place with fantastic access to trails, I haven't driven my car to a trailhead once.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Shopping her to the fuzz was much more progressive than my other idea. I know America isn't in full lockdown yet and has a clownshoes operation running things so there's no consistency or legitimacy in the message, but that means people need to take more responsibility. I don't really know what else to say. Follow her about spraying her with disinfectant.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And the PGA tour just announced a bunch of new dates for their tournaments, including the Masters in November.

I know people don't want to hear it, but there is too much money at stake for everything to be canceled until conditions are perfect. We aren't talking small numbers here. The NFL is a 15 billion dollar a year product... that has a lot of economic windfall beyond that. The Masters tournament itself is a 120m product over one weekend... and there is so much rental income there that a specific tax rule was carved out to make rental income over that time exempt from taxes. There was the largest stimulus in history passed that barely puts a dent in the impact. 5-10 times that amount would be needed to float the summer, if things continued... and there just isn't an ability to pull that off without major ramifications for a decade. It just isn't a realistic expectation to shutdown all non-essential parts of the economy until things are perfect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Also, please remember the projections you hear and are quoted out there over and over are based on incomplete and dirty data. We heard from Andrew Cuomo in late March how the best case scenario was 40k ICU beds by April 14th and worst case was 40k ICU beds by April 7th. For the former to be on track, they'd have to be at ~23k in ICU right now. For the latter to be on track like 38-39k. Currently 4,504 are in ICU. The projections are nearly impossible to make because we don't know enough about the virus.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Colorado has its lowest daily case count since March 25.

Total cases rose just 4.5% today. Down from nearly 40% at its peak.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Found out yesterday that a former coworker of mine died of Covid. First fatality for someone that I know personally. We weren't exactly close, but we had some overlapping interests and chatted more than a few times over the ~6 years I knew him. Sad stuff, he was only 45 or so. Went home sick one day, and they lost touch with him a week later. They finally got the phone call from a family member Saturday.

Now that it's in the store, I'm worried for some of the other people I knew and liked there. Lots of old guys there working part time in semi-retirement. They're still open, too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colorado has its lowest daily case count since March 25.

Total cases rose just 4.5% today. Down from nearly 40% at its peak.

Unless there's blanket testing the official number of total cases is close to useless.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I genuinely wonder if this is due to a general lack of testing or that we have actually gone past the peak.
The reported daily positivity rate is also going down which would signal past the peak. Commercial labs don’t always give out the negatives either, so that going down with the commercial labs spooled up would reinforce that idea.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Unless there's blanket testing the official number of total cases is close to useless.
There will never be capacity to test 330+ million people in a year, let alone months, let alone weeks... it would be a complete waste of resources and cost well into the trillions.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There will never be capacity to test 330+ million people in a year, let alone months, let alone weeks... it would be a complete waste of resources and cost well into the trillions.
No shit, I never suggested to do that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Insinuated it with blanket testing. Not a realistic possibility.
There are too many variables on who they decide to test, it's not an accurate portrait of the infection rate in the population. Number of hospitalizations is the real indicator (although there's a 7-10 day lag).

For example here they started testing only people who traveled, then people who came in contact with people who traveled, then focussed on people in Montreal because it was a hot spot, now they are testing mainly healthcare workers and older people. They plan to start testing randomly after the 1st wave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad