OT: Coronavirus chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Seriously concerned about my trip to Europe at the end of April/early May. I hope everything doesn’t start to close down because of the virus. Any European’s here have a gauge on major attractions being closed?

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Seriously concerned about my trip to Europe at the end of April/early May. I hope everything doesn’t start to close down because of the virus. Any European’s here have a gauge on major attractions being closed?

I've heard reports from italy that tourist spots are starting/considering this. By April/May this is likely to either be MUCH better or MUCH worse.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

I’m booked for early April. Trying not to think about it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm still on the side that believes the media is sensationalizing this to be much worse than it actually is. Even if the mortality rate really is 2% or slightly higher right now... That's still a very low number.

I so believe the number of confirmed cases is actually much higher than what's being reported currently, because so many people are asymptomatic and not showing any signs of the virus.

Funny enough I have moderate asthma myself so I'm actually probably one of those at risk folks that are in more danger if I were to get the virus but I still dont care about it.

Give it a few months and I dont think you'll be hearing anything about the virus at all anymore.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Holland is fine despite the first reports of people carrying the virus. Italy is going mama mia though.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm still on the side that believes the media is sensationalizing this to be much worse than it actually is. Even if the mortality rate really is 2% or slightly higher right now... That's still a very low number.

I so believe the number of confirmed cases is actually much higher than what's being reported currently, because so many people are asymptomatic and not showing any signs of the virus.

Funny enough I have moderate asthma myself so I'm actually probably one of those at risk folks that are in more danger if I were to get the virus but I still dont care about it.

Give it a few months and I dont think you'll be hearing anything about the virus at all anymore.
Nothing suggests that this is going to go away, quite the opposite. I hope we get to have playoffs

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

It probably is being a bit over-sensationalized. Part of that is political gamesmanship, and part of that is a reaction to the stock market. MSM can't ignore those tantalizing story lines.

On the other hand, the math says that this is pretty damn communicable, but not extremely deadly. So while it is being over-hyped, its certainly not "nothing". This is going to lead to some ugly shit. It won't be the end of the world, but I don't see this as being forgotten by summer either.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The NLA season will be finished in empty arenas.

Someone where I read it commented "And good on TPS for also doing this". :laugh:

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Well, northern Italy is the only place with any "real concern" at the moment.

For example in Finland there are three confirmed corona cases IMO. Here more have likely died to Corona beer this year than to the virus.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Any virus nasty enough to cause you to stay home in bed is at a massive evolutionary disadvantage to one which leaves you able to go to work.

High virulence impedes high communicability. So by the time it spreads here, it will likely have mutated to something no worse than the flu.

(The reason the Spanish flu got so deadly is the sickest troops would leave the front to travel back along lines of communication to a cesspit field hospital. The only mildly sick troops would stay mostly isolated in their trenches. Thus the most deadly forms of the virus spread the best.)

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Any virus nasty enough to cause you to stay home in bed is at a massive evolutionary disadvantage to one which leaves you able to go to work.

High virulence impedes high communicability. So by the time it spreads here, it will likely have mutated to something no worse than the flu.

(The reason the Spanish flu got so deadly is the sickest troops would leave the front to travel back along lines of communication to a cesspit field hospital. The only mildly sick troops would stay mostly isolated in their trenches. Thus the most deadly forms of the virus spread the best.)
It’s already here. It took a flight

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm mostly doing eastern Europe (Poland, Hungary and Czech) with my biggest concern being some of the historical sites namely Auschwitz might be closed.

Here's to hopping the vacation doesn't get ruined, but from what I can gather is essentially the flu or a bad cold.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Well, northern Italy is the only place with any "real concern" at the moment.

For example in Finland there are three confirmed corona cases IMO. Here more have likely died to Corona beer this year than to the virus.
About Corona beer.

I heard that public perception of Corona beer droped from about 80% positive to about 50% positive because of the virus. That’s messed up. People are so stupid in general.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ruining the hockey thread with the virus talk and the virus thread with OT bullshit.

Z95Ng8w02wg-wYymMcw3QyzmJco=.gif

Reactions: Murzu and wayninja

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm mostly doing eastern Europe (Poland, Hungary and Czech) with my biggest concern being some of the historical sites namely Auschwitz might be closed.

Here's to hopping the vacation doesn't get ruined, but from what I can gather is essentially the flu or a bad cold.

It's still kinda fuzzy, but there are reports of high re-infection rates as well as permanent lung scarring being possible. I'm not sure what to make of those reports at the moment, but thinking this is "just the flu" is a mistake IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should cancel your trip. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
About Corona beer.

I heard that public perception of Corona beer droped from about 80% positive to about 50% positive because of the virus. That’s messed up. People are so stupid in general.

Lol

Don't know if this is true, but I heard that during the hottest cryptocurrency bubble some companies that added the word "blockchain" to their company name tripled their stock values.

People are stupid.

Reactions: Avsboy

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It's still kinda fuzzy, but there are reports of high re-infection rates as well as permanent lung scarring being possible. I'm not sure what to make of those reports at the moment, but thinking this is "just the flu" is a mistake IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should cancel your trip. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

I've read reports where symptoms are essentially equivalent of a cold to worse than pneumonia. Where do you guys find the most up to date and accurate info? I know the WHO is usually the place to go, but where else?

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I've read reports where symptoms are essentially equivalent of a cold to worse than pneumonia. Where do you guys find the most up to date and accurate info? I know the WHO is usually the place to go, but where else?

For current infection counts, I use the Johns Hopkins CGIS console:

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Finding reliable info about the actual characteristics of the virus itself though is much trickier. There's some stuff out of the south china morning post (SCMP) that has info that is mostly bleeding edge, but I'm not 100% sure it's trustworthy. That's where I've seen reports of scarring and re-infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad