Coronavirus and WHC

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am just going off of what the support guys from team GB are telling me, While the games do start till the 8th of May. Teams start gathering and practice the 2nd week of april with friendly games being played shortly there afterwards. Canada have 2 or 3 games schedules with on being in Nottingham on the 5th of May.

Personally I think that waiting till the 20th is cutting it too short considering other division games started on the 19th of April. It is the knock on affect of what is going on

Note that Kummola also said that if Switzerland continue to ban public events then it leaves little room for IIHF to do but cancel the tournament.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
and that is one reason why I think I am being told SOMETHING will be decided on March 15th
The point is that the Swiss government decided to introduce a ban on all events with over 1,000 spectators until at least March 15. So, the IIHF is waiting for more information on March 15. So, this date in discussions.

Reactions: KTl

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Kazakhstan's sports and culture ministry has recommended its federations not to send athletes to events with international participants. It has so far resulted in the Kazakh bandy national team withdrawing its participation in the Bandy World Championship taking place in Irkutsk, Russia. We'll see how it affects the hockey national team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pearl Jam cancelled their tour, SJ will be playing in an empty arena of some sort, women's world's cancelled... my favourite tourney of the year is in some serious peril. The U18 in Michigan is all but dead too. Not good.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It seems like the coronavirus has started spreading domestically in Sweden now, as cases are starting to pop up unrelated to contact with people having been in infected areas.

The domestic infection risk has been set as very high. We'll see how this affects first and foremost the playoffs and potential national team gatherings

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It seems like the coronavirus has started spreading domestically in Sweden now, as cases are starting to pop up unrelated to contact with people having been in infected areas.

The domestic infection risk has been set as very high. We'll see how this affects first and foremost the playoffs and potential national team gatherings

Meanwhile in Finland it looks like the confirmed cases have been isolated properly and there are no containment pockets or areas. I forgot where I read it and who said it but right now it's seems unlikely that sporting events will be cancelled or played without spectators in Finland.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Czech Extraliga:
The pre-playoff games that determine the last two playoff teams will be held without spectators, with only players, staff and TV crew. No information on the actual playoffs yet.

Reactions: Czechboy

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I read in Swiss media (20min.ch), that Russia and Belarus are potential replacements for Swiss to host this year's WC.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Swiss main government (We call that Bundesrat) always have their meeting on Wednesday. I guess we'll hear tomorrow more about the ban and if they are going to continue it.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Decision on ban of big public events in Switzerland on Friday. It'll probably be extended for some time.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Swiss league playoffs are de facto canceled. Nothing official yet but the canton of Ticino has activated the emergency state so not even games with no attendance could be played there. With many experts thinking the epidemic will not peak before may the tournament is most likely done.

babylonzoo

Mar 8, 2010
Any chance it can be postponed to sometimes in september? Would probably piss of the NHL too which would be a good bonus
The NHL won't give a damn about that. Even if they still go ahead, how many spectators would still come watch? Also for Canada and USa it will be difficult to convince players to make the trip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad