Coronavirus and WHC

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Very unlikely I think.
There's one confirmed case in southern Switzerland (Ticino) as far as I know and our sport leagues are still going on and will continue as they mentioned in a statement today. Also the public and the government don't seem to panic and everything goes on as usual.
But also I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to epidemic diseases so I guess we will see.
But I'll definitely go mad if it get's cancelled because I waited a long time for the WHC to be in my team's stadium again.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
since the situation is probably going to get worse before it gets better, my guess is that the tournament gets cancelled. perhaps rescheduled. perhaps in September.

what is already a challenge to get Canadian/American players to go, just add one more challenge and reason for them to decline. This year is going to be a real challenge.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Likely, there is a chance the Olympics are cancelled so there's a legit chance it get worse before it gets better and they cancel the WHC

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
The president of the organization comitee, Gian Gilli, stated in an interview that as for now people should stick to their plans for visiting the tournament. But he also states that they're keeping a close watch on it. And that even a cancellation of the tournament could be an option if it's getting worse. Some of the games in the national league now get played without any spectators, so it already has an influence on Swiss hockey.

Here's the article (in German):
Beeinflusst das Coronavirus die Hockey-WM? «Die Fans sollen ihre Reise normal planen»

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Swiss governement just banned all events with more than 1000 people attending until mid-march.

We'll see how this goes on.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The last two games of the regular season will be played without any spectators. There will be a meeting of the league next Monday where they decide what to do about the playoffs.

I thought Switzerland was pretty immune to that. Oh well, after all, it's a global crisis. Hope the hockey players fare well against the virus.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I thought Switzerland was pretty immune to that. Oh well, after all, it's a global crisis. Hope the hockey players fare well against the virus.
Well I don't think you can be immune as a country (maybe North Korea) since we have a lot of air traffic and border five other nations. But according to Alain Berset, head of the department of home affairs, there are 15 confirmed cases of corona and each of those can be traced back to where it came from (mostly people who've been to northern Italy), so I'd say it's under control more or less and these are precautionary measures.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well I don't think you can be immune as a country (maybe North Korea) since we have a lot of air traffic and border five other nations. But according to Alain Berset, head of the department of home affairs, there are 15 confirmed cases of corona and each of those can be traced back to where it came from (mostly people who've been to northern Italy), so I'd say it's under control more or less and these are precautionary measures.

They should really be barring people coming from China and South Korea.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Travel restrictions are at best buying some time, not preventing the spread altogether. At this point the cost is higher than the achievable benefit.

Reactions: KTl

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, most infections in Switzerland are people who visited Northern Italy in February. There is now way to prevent this. Best thing you can do now is reduce the spreading of the virus and we'll see how this works out in the coming two weeks.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Swiss governement just banned all events with more than 1000 people attending until mid-march.

We'll see how this goes on.

Spread out 999 peoples all over the arena. So they can't spread the disease. Only allow the loudest to enter, using a voice-o-meter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad